Gas bombing creature infestation...?

BlueStringPudding

Featured Posts

So I have a rather useful contraption to hand - an anti-spider ('n' anti-other crunchy creatures) gas bomb. Infestations of the blighters have been bad and I need to get rid before the springtime hatchings. Here's the kinda thing I have:

http://www.pestcontrolsupermarket.com/formula-p-fumer-bed-bug-smoke-bombs-twin-pack-44-p.asp?gclid=CKfNiYKRz7wCFSn4wgodjSsAPw

But I'm curious to know this: it's aerosol and the destructions wisely tell you to use it where there are no naked flames about the place. I have used one before so I know how they work, and to air the place through afterwards, and so on. However I am curious about something: if I have to ensure all naked flames are extinguished before using it, then that suggests the contents are flammable like a can of hairspray would be if you sprayed it towards a naked flame. But does that also mean flammable gas will sink into the bilges and sit there waiting to get ignited one day in the future, like they say can happen if you have an LPG leak? Or does it become non flammable once all the pesticide is expelled from the canister and settled?

I don't want to let the blighter off while I'm away one weekend, and then blow myself up one day in the future. :P

:unsure:

What comes off them is similar to powder suspended in air so for the same reason as flour mills can flash ignite there is a potential for the same to happen with there. It's not gas but powder in the air that is the fire risk. Ventilate well before you go back in and keep the bedroom ventilated for a night or 2 as well.

K

Like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_explosion

Edited by kevinl

It may not be the active ingredients that are the problem, many aerosols use butane as a propellant - that would

lurk in the bilges, I cant see on the site any indication of the propellant used, but they should be able to tell you.

springy

It may not be the active ingredients that are the problem, many aerosols use butane as a propellant - that would

lurk in the bilges, I cant see on the site any indication of the propellant used, but they should be able to tell you.

springy

+1! Apparently, all aerosol propellants are liquified gasses and are inflammable or harmful or do not work at low temperatures.

There should be a list of ingredients on the container with the largest percentage listed first. Have a look at other aerosols, e.g. anti-deodorant (Unilever), Ingredients: Butane, Isobutane, Propane ... then another two dozen 'active ingredients'.

I do not know how 'heavy', inflammable gas dissipates from floor level. I guess natural ventilation 'blows' it away and very little reaches poorly ventilated bilges. I have a flammable gas detector under the floor and it has never complained despite daily usage of aerosols, considerable spillage when refilling lighters and occasional failure to re-light the Alde (which vents directly to the bilge).

I carefully re-home large spiders; their hundreds of miniscule offspring are more difficult to catch humanely. I, cruelly, destroy webs if they inconvenience me. A few squirts of ordinary 'fly spray' in a closed boat will probably kill most insects and spiders within an hour or two. Bed-bugs, cockroaches, fleas etc. may survive the product in the OP's (BSP's) links.

It's good to nuture spiders within one's boat - - it reduces the occurrance of flying insects, some of which can bite/sting or puke on one's food

I agree. I don't have an issue with a couple of spiders, usually in the mushroom vents, as they can help get rid of other, less welcome insects.

I have found a few handfuls of strategically placed conkers around the interior of the boat seems to have the desired effect in keeping the vast majority of spiders at bay.

Ken

Just a question the link I followed is to a bed bug killer. Bed bugs are insects spiders are arachnids are you sure it will kill them?

My thoughts exactly.

These things are pretty specific for : Ants...bed bugs....wasps...spiders..

There is not normally a 'one things kills all'...

Just because it has lots of legs...doesn't mean it will die...

The active ingredient is pyrethrin, which is a common treatment for crawling and flying insects. I'm certain it will be effective against spiders but also against any other beneficial insects such as bees. It's used commonly as it's marketed as "natural or naturally derived" because its derived from a plant- used commonly in the food industry. Personally I prefer to leave the spiders to munch on other insects that arent welcome- or remove the bigger ones - I wouldn't want to spray this in my bedroom on a regular basis- as I think with spiders, once you've used it- it may kill the ones onboard- but there will soon be others appear, leading to a cycle of spraying

http://www.gulfstatesmosquito.com/about_pyrethrin.html

edited to add- not sure if it will kill eggs- if it doesn't and you have spiders eggs on board, then they'll hatch as normal

Edited by Woodstock

When I first read the title of this thread I thought it was about my dogs, however on the subject of killing insect infestations I do have something to add.

About 20 years ago I had a bulk petfood business and my small warehouse needed regular treatment to keep bugs at bay, a type of mite being the worst problem. I used smoke cones and having lit them would shut the door and retire to watch. Spiders would issue forth from under the roof tiles and every crack and cranny in huge numbers and leg it to safety.

The other bugs and mites were killed of and after a short time the spiders would be back. Spiders have an exoskeleton and I think this is why they were able to dodge the coffin.

Phil

The propellant in the can will be an LPG derivative/mix so it will be flammable if sprayed into a flame, but when diluted with enough air it will be below the ignition threshold. So use it into a flame free space then ventilate before occupying the space or lighting the flames(fire/pilot lights)

What is killed and what is not will be a lottery probably determined by how fast and far they can run.

The active ingredient is pyrethrin, which is a common treatment for crawling and flying insects. I'm certain it will be effective against spiders but also against any other beneficial insects such as bees. It's used commonly as it's marketed as "natural or naturally derived" because its derived from a plant- used commonly in the food industry. Personally I prefer to leave the spiders to munch on other insects that arent welcome- or remove the bigger ones - I wouldn't want to spray this in my bedroom on a regular basis- as I think with spiders, once you've used it- it may kill the ones onboard- but there will soon be others appear, leading to a cycle of spraying

http://www.gulfstatesmosquito.com/about_pyrethrin.html

edited to add- not sure if it will kill eggs- if it doesn't and you have spiders eggs on board, then they'll hatch as normal

The point I was making was spiders aren't insects. I am well aware of the effect of pyrethrin on insects but not spiders. Having done a little digging Pyrethrins will kill spiders if they come in direct contact with the substance.

It does not kill eggs. So repeat treatments will be required and any spider which happens to be hidden away may not be killed.

I find using Vacuum cleaner on all areas where spiders can get seems to keep them down.

This last year seems to have been a year of few spiders and flies about 10 wasps which if killed you need to throw body in canal as it attracts other wasps (or so I've been told).

This thing with conkers ? wouldn't it be better to boil them and then paint the essence around areas where they hide or just leave resultant liquid in containers to evaporate ?

I sympathise with people who suffer with Arachnaphobia and any other phobias.

When we first got our boat, it was absolutely infested with spiders, which did not please the boss.

With this in mind, I gave the boat a very thorough vacuum cleaning, especially the windows, inside and out, taking care to dislodge any of the egg pouches that stick like superglue in those hard to reach corners (I noticed, that even after machine washing the curtains, there were still spider eggs stuck up in the pleats near the rufflette tapes)

Pleased to say, for the last 2 years at least, we've been more or less clear of the little blighters other than outside.

I find using Vacuum cleaner on all areas where spiders can get seems to keep them down.

This last year seems to have been a year of few spiders and flies about 10 wasps which if killed you need to throw body in canal as it attracts other wasps (or so I've been told).

This thing with conkers ? wouldn't it be better to boil them and then paint the essence around areas where they hide or just leave resultant liquid in containers to evaporate ?

I sympathise with people who suffer with Arachnaphobia and any other phobias.

We had a bumper year for spiders last year, but we were on the Fens for most of it. I love them, but don't like walking into a web when I go to the loo at night in the dark.