Canals and boats on TV but not in boaty programmes?

Guest User

Featured Posts

Canals occasionally make an appearance in Frost..

One episode featured Ferry bridge power station with a murder set in the coal unloading mechanism. Another was set at Wakefield flood lock and at one time the temporary police headquarters was in the warehouse just downstream of the lock.

Then there was the Cliff Richard movie "Take Me High" filmed round Gasworks basin and the BCN in 1974.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070194/

Unfortunately, the copy I had was on a VHS cassette, which went missing in a house moveand apparently the only DVD version ever released was a freeby with the Daily mail in 2010.

Bought one off eBay a couple of months ago. Great scenes of Gas Street before the warehouses were demolished and the James Brindley built.

Should have added Dalziel & Pascoe. Several episodes feature the canals. Originally in the NE but the later ones around Birmingham.

Also on Frost, one episode featured the Dark Arches at Leeds.

One episode featured Ferry bridge power station with a murder set in the coal unloading mechanism. Another was set at Wakefield flood lock and at one time the temporary police headquarters was in the warehouse just downstream of the lock.

Also on Frost, one episode featured the Dark Arches at Leeds.

Another Frost had scenes on the Peak Forest at New Mills with Swizzels Matlow masquerading as (I think) "Sterling Pharmaceuticals" or some such.

George ex nb Alton retired

• 3 weeks later...

Random musings on a rainy windy evening -

I recently watched an episode of "The Professionals" in which there was a shoot-out across the canal and it reminded me that Gordon Jackson's character was called George Cowley. Which then reminded me that not long ago there was a McDonalds advert which featured a swamp boat emerging from Cowley lock on the GU, and thinking about adverts reminded me that there was (I think) a Churchill Insurance advert featuring Geoff Capes in a small narrowboat somewhere on a canal? ....

... all of which led me to wonder how many other incidental appearances have the UK waterways have made in TV programmes excluding the boaty programmes like Waterworld, Locks&Quays and Narrowboat and the thing with the TT racer?

... there was the Inspector Morse story about the murder on the Oxford, I think.

oh and where was the Professionals scene filmed? ... and the Geoff Capes thing?

Advert currently running on ITV3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb79symrAXk

Tim

Remembered that I bought a secondhand DVD of Boon series 1 & 2 in which one episode, I think the last one in series 2, featured Boon bringing and old working boat and butty into Birmingham. A lot of the scenes seemed to be around Knowle locks and the Black Boy pub but towards the end they are at Sampson Road and then Oozells Loop before the Sea Life Centre, etc. were built.