I think I could do with some help!

junior

Featured Posts

This is a bit embarrassing to ask, but I think I could do with a bit of help with my boat.

I feel like things/jobs are starting to get on top of me and I don't have the knowledge or experience to just get on with things.

It's all mainly little niggly things but I'm starting to thing I run the risk of a nice boat going downhill rapidly.

I'm not looking for somebody to come and do all my dirty work, I'm keen to learn and have managed to suss and fix a few things on my own recently. I'm really just looking for a good experienced all round boaty person to run an experienced eye over things and perhaps spot things that are blatantly obvious that my novice eyes are blind to, and give me some idea of what things I should prioritise to get done first etc. Perhaps a quick cruise up to the winding hole and back to see if they think my boat/engine is performing as it should do.

Some concerns in no particular order;

● My excessivley smokey exhaust

● My fuel system and state of fuel in in

● I have noticeable list which I didn't used to have

● My back boiler system foibles

● Ballasting of my boat (a forum member commented yesterday that it was sticking up at the back too much.

● And a few things I probably haven't thought of.

I'm not rich, if I was I'd probably take it to a boat yard and wave a cheque book, but I can pay you for a few hours of you time with cash, tea, wine and beer.

I'm close to Bulls Bridge but can cruise the boat anywhere within reason. I'm off to France tomorrow for 7 days so it doesn't need to be immediate, I just feel if I don't do something now and the next thing goes wrong, that things will be getting out of hand.

Health is fine now since Doctors. Nothing further to report.

That's good to hear

I know many boats with the problems you are describing, only far, far worse - and have been like that for years. No boat is 'problem free'.

Richard

Regarding the first one, you have a Petter PH2, haven't you? We used to have one. They are smoky until they get really warm.

I certainty do. Mines been excessively smokey for about 3 months. Add to that I've had 2 siezed fuel pumps in the last 6 weeks and I'm sure something is wrong.

I have had a generous offer off the forum for somebody to come and look over my fuel issues so fingers crossed that will answer that one, but I found myself going to stay at my mothers HOUSE for a few days last week to get away from the issues on the boat. That's when I knew I had to do something lol!!

● My excessivley smokey exhaust

● My fuel system and state of fuel in in

● I have noticeable list which I didn't used to have

● My back boiler system foibles

● Ballasting of my boat (a forum member commented yesterday that it was sticking up at the back too much.

● And a few things I probably haven't thought of.

Engine smoking is normal until its warmed up. If your engine runs, then your fuel cant be that bad. Just treat it and fill the tank (should also help your back end go down a bit). What is up with your back boiler? And if your listing have a look under the floorboards for water..

And if your listing have a look under the floorboards for water..

Also look at where you've put all your stuff. Things like an anchor and chain, full toilet tank, books etc can alter the trim by quite a bit - especially on smaller boats.

Also look at where you've put all your stuff. Things like an anchor and chain, full toilet tank, books etc can alter the trim by quite a bit - especially on smaller boats.

Agreed.

Our boat used to acquire a noticeable list with a full poo tank, so this was my first thoughts too on the 'acquired' list. I can't recall which type of loo Albion has though?

I also had to move quite a bit of ballast after I removed a battery and replaced the bank. (have you done anything similar Junior?

Engine smoking is normal until its warmed up. If your engine runs, then your fuel cant be that bad. Just treat it and fill the tank (should also help your back end go down a bit). What is up with your back boiler? And if your listing have a look under the floorboards for water..

Back boiler problem is here....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=62906&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

To be honest I've done the CWDF diagnostics and come to the conclusion that it is a poorly designed system. The main problem I'm having now is that wgen it warms up, all the liquid in the expansion tanks overflows into my engine room and all over the battery isolator and batteries, this caused me a non-start of the engine today for the first time. When the system is cold, all the fluid dissapears into the system leaving the expansion tank bone dry and the pipe hole visible in the bottom.

I can't get under the floorboards. Someone came a drilled a small hole for me in my bathroom floor the other day and came to the conclusion it was dry and that I wasn't sinking. But there is a visible list. When I walk to one side of the boat nothing happens, it's stable and hardly moves. When I walk to the other side of the boat it feels like the boat is going to roll over. This can't be right.

I'm reluctant to fill my tank at the moment before my fuel is polished as I think that will make it harder. I have 2 fuel tanks, no obvious kink between them and different fuel samples from each one. See here.... http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=63339&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

I've had all the online advice under the sun and think im just at a point where I need a real life person to look at things and either confirm some of my fears or tell me to stop being paranoid and that it's just the way boats are!

I'm about to empty my cassette bog so that will answer that problem. Other than that as far as I can recall I've not moved anything or brought anything new onto the boat.

I know this may sound silly but have you got your ropes tied up too tight? For three weeks I kept saying to my hubby that we had a list and eventually we sussed it back to the rope which once we released, actually the boat floated level.

Excellent, 'out of the box' suggestion and may account for this comment :

When I walk to one side of the boat nothing happens, it's stable and hardly moves. When I walk to the other side of the boat it feels like the boat is going to roll over. This can't be right.

I'm about to empty my cassette bog so that will answer that problem. Other than that as far as I can recall I've not moved anything or brought anything new onto the boat.

See above (I wasn't sure what loo type you have)

​I doubt though a single full cassette would be sufficient to cause you to list. Ours certainly doesn't (the the full PO tank did though).

I get and fully understand where you're coming from Junior.

I have received tremendous advice from members here and on the whole has helped me to solve many issues. However, sometimes, to go 'human' is helpful.

I'm surprised, and a little disappointed if I may say without offending anyone, considering where your boat is normally, you have not managed to get a helping hand onboard.

Reassurance is valuable. We are now a one car family and Margaret uses the one and only for work, otherwise I would offer to cast an eye. It may well be that you perhaps are missing the obvious. Who knows, somebody does!

Martyn

Excellent, 'out of the box' suggestion and may account for this comment :

When I walk to one side of the boat nothing happens, it's stable and hardly moves. When I walk to the other side of the boat it feels like the boat is going to roll over. This can't be right.

Yes - other possibility is the boat is 'hung up' on something. We once had this with a small but none the less 'big enough to cause a problem' bolt in the piling which kept getting caught under a rubbing strip on the hull.

Mystified us for a good 24 hours

Hi Junior,

I haven't forgotten you.

I am just putting the final touches to a day tank which I will be able to lend you.

We can then address the issues with the current tanks, clean them properly and checkout the whole system.

With regard to the other problems, I will be able to sort those out as well.

When are you back from France?

Simon.

• Greenie 2

Hi Junior,

I haven't forgotten you.

I am just putting the final touches to a day tank which I will be able to lend you.

We can then address the issues with the current tanks, clean them properly and checkout the whole system.

Simon.

magic! This sounds good to me.

Problem shared etc. etc.

Yes - other possibility is the boat is 'hung up' on something. We once had this with a small but none the less 'big enough to cause a problem' bolt in the piling which kept getting caught under a rubbing strip on the hull.

Mystified us for a good 24 hours

In fact if you're moored up in a pound or been in the same place for a very long time, the water level may have dropped and you are sitting with one side on the bottom. One morning I woke up on top of my girlfriend (unintentionally!) because someone had left a paddle open in the bottom lock. The boat was at a scary list angle...

In fact if you're moored up in a pound or been in the same place for a very long time, the water level may have dropped and you are sitting with one side on the bottom. One morning I woke up on top of my girlfriend (unintentionally!) because someone had left a paddle open in the bottom lock. The boat was at a scary list angle...

Junior does travel quite a bit when weather allows.

Martyn

I know this may sound silly but have you got your ropes tied up too tight? For three weeks I kept saying to my hubby that we had a list and eventually we sussed it back to the rope which once we released, actually the boat floated level.

This COULD be the winner.

When I was in a lock earlier I got the spirit level out and the boat was level'ish. I'm back on my home mooring now nad the noticable list is back. I got thinking that everywhere I've moored recently has been on the same side. When I next go out I'm going to moor somewhere the other way round to see if this makes a difference.

I think I've ruled out the possibility I'm sinking, but once you convince yourself of something it's difficult to relax. Hence me thinking I might just need an experienced eye to come and tell me I am being an idiot and that my lines were too tight!

Hi Junior,

I haven't forgotten you.

Simon.

Don't worry I knew you were busy. Don't think I was devaluing your offer by asking for further help. I thought I'd try and address some of the other issues to put my mind at ease and save you being on the wrong end of my 'long as your arm' list of problems.

I go to France tomorrow for 7 days. I'm back next Tuesday evening. Home for 7 days then back to France for 7 days and so on.....

I'm running my tank down (even though only one is going down!), is that the best thing to do before you come, rather than filling it up?

BIG thumbs up for Capt Fizz - he was golden the day and 1/2 that he spent with us - we both learned loads and had some good laughs as well!! Just make sure you have some decent coffee ready to brew Junior :icecream:

Coffee and cafetiere at the ready!

Sadly after my mini-break to Denham over the last few day, I need to add a small oil leak on my gearbox to the list of problems and more importantly, my alternator hasn't charge my batteries today. I noticed it yesterday but thought I was being paranoid. Sadly the amp meter connected to the engine didn't move today and at the end of cruising the SmartGauge read the same as it did before I started.

I'm sure most of these things are very simple novicey mistakes I'm making, highlighted by the fact it looks like my list might be daused by my mooring lines being too tight!