Whoopsie Daisy!

Roxy

Featured Posts

The hotel guy is implying that it was the other boater's fault, whereas in reality it was his fault for mooring his hotel boat in a bridge hole with insufficient room for anyone to pass. I am sure that blocking the navigation is against the by-laws! Section 8 anyone?

• Greenie 1

'But luckily we have enough paint to redo it' what about the narrowboat that was happily cruising onto his next destination?

If we all stopped under bridges so we could repaint our boats the waterways would be in uproar!

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the proficiency of the driver, but Dawn Chorus is a shared ownership boat.

There are lots of "Dawn Choruses", and I assumed the one in question here was the white GRP boat on the left hand side of the picture.

So I would have thought not the shared ownership one?

If we all stopped under bridges so we could repaint our boats the waterways would be in uproar!

It is very commonplace down here on the GU, but they do normally choose very big wide concrete bridges that relate to motorways and dual carriageways, so where enough room is normally left for another boat to pass.

The main issue though is that the paving under those bridges is often tiles or solid concrete, so they can't actually drive in stakes, and the boat being painted is often barely secured to anything.

They then get dead upset if it moves, (let alone breaks away), as you try to creep past.

Then there are ones that live under some of those bridges more or less full time, presumably because some part of the superstructure, windows, hatches or vents leak if the boat ever actually gets rained on..............

There are lots of "Dawn Choruses", and I assumed the one in question here was the white GRP boat on the left hand side of the picture.

So I would have thought not the shared ownership one?

Dawn Chorus (the share boat) is based at Nantwich, Chester is a popular run for them. And, its going to be one of the few boats at this time of year on the move. And I recognise the boat, from the picture, and the article mentions canal boat/barge (I know a narrowboat isn't really a barge).

We came across a similar incident a few years ago in Rugby. Two boats tried to get across one of the aqueducts at the same time running opposite directions and got wedged. We were the first boat to come across them going north. We tried to pull one of them in reverse but it would not budge.

After a few other boats and people had arrived we eventually got them free by trying to rock the two boats and they gave way but it took 30 minutes or so of grunting and effort by a dozen or so people. If I remember correctly it was two hire boats one of which was from Rose Narrowboats so they had not got very far south when the incident happened.

That hotel boat is PITA (or at least its operators are). They seem to think they own that stretch of the canal and can do what they like. They show no consideration to other boaters. We were below Tarvin lock once and the boat was sitting in the full lock whilst their party of hooray henries were wandering around the lockside having a smoking break. They were very reluctant to either move the boat out of the lock or empty the lock to go back to Chester. After some arguing they eventually started emptying the lock. When they left the lock it was at full speed which nearly dragged Mrs dor into the water on the end of the centre line. I have seen them demand to be allowed to jump the queue at Hoole lane lock as they were "a working boat and we have priority as we have a schedule to keep". A very larger chap on one of the boats corrected them on this matter but it typifies their attitude.

As regards Rugby aqueducts, I have met boats many a time in the past on them, but our Lords and Masters, in their infinite wisdom (/ignorance) have seen

fit to reduce the width in the course of repair works - like some bridgeholes on the Coventry and Ashby canals, for example. As I once said to a BW

engineer, what other countries in Europe go around actively reducing the width of their canals - they enlarge them whenever they can!

The hotel boat manager!? had parked the boat, sorry barge, under the bridge.

The rental boat driver said, Ohoy! a boat is standing behind the corner, No danger on the roof, we have the push a way sausages out. ramp up the ramming speed. :-)

Edited by Dalslandia