Does this make me a bad person?

Chop!

Featured Posts

Glenda can't understand why it gives me a great feeling when we are on our boats and 'Sally Traffic' comes on Radio 2 warning about all the hold-ups, road closures etc. I always turn the radio up!

I love it because instead of being stuck in my bus in one of those jams, we only have to contend with the odd queue of swans, ducks, geese etc. And instead of the air ambulance hovering over us, we have beautiful red kites.

No boat rage either (normally!)

Yay! clapping.gifcheers.gif

Yes you are a really bad man.

I have never had such thoughts.

And if you believe that!!!!!!

I remember being just south of Norton junction, cruising way quicker than the traffic on the M1. It's a great feeling.

I often think similar when running along side the M1 after Buckby locks heading towards Weedon.

In my mind I think of the cars and lorries rushing past as lemmings when they have the urge to migrate.

Quote:

"Lemmings have become the subject of a widely popular misconception that they commit mass suicide when they migrate. It is not a mass suicide, but the result of their migratory behavior. Driven by strong biological urges, some species of lemmings may migrate in large groups when population density becomes too great. Lemmings can swim and may choose to cross a body of water in search of a new habitat. In such cases, many may drown if the body of water is so wide as to stretch their physical capability to the limit. This fact, combined with the unexplained fluctuations in the population of Norwegian lemmings, gave rise to the misconception.[9]

Because of their association with this odd behavior, lemming "suicide" is a frequently used metaphor in reference to people who go along unquestioningly with popular opinion, with potentially dangerous or fatal consequences".

Edited by Ray T

No,

You are only a bad person if you

Use fenders

Have bowthrusters

Burn smokeless fuel (when you could annoy your neighbours by burning wet green forraged timber)

Own a widebeam

Have an engine with more than 3 cylinders

Berth in a marina

Own a rust free shiny boat

etc etc

rolleyes.gif

Oooooops

No,You are only a bad person if youUse fendersHave bowthrustersBurn smokeless fuel (when you could annoy your neighbours by burning wet green forraged timber)Own a widebeamHave an engine with more than 3 cylindersBerth in a marinaOwn a rust free shiny boatetc etc:rolleyes:Oooooops

number 6 doesn't apply 2 us. guess we r just somewhat bad ;)

No,

Use fenders

Have bowthrusters

Burn smokeless fuel (when you could annoy your neighbours by burning wet green forraged timber)

Own a widebeam

Berth in a marina

etc etc

rolleyes.gif

Oooooops

Throw enough fuel on a fire and it'll ignitejudge.gif

I left the bottom lock at Buckby once, and the southbound M1 was stationary. I lost count of the number of people waving from their un-moving cars as I overtook them all at 4mph (I would never speed)!!

At least I think they were waving in a jolly manner - they may have been complaining about the noise from my engine. Or was it the smoke from my fire.

Mine and a mate of mine's favourite place for this is the lock just before, or just after depending on direction, the M6 at Hassall Green. For some strange reason he always feels the urge to moon at the traffic whilst stood on the balance beam on the lower gates shouting "kiss this suckers".

Unfortunately it is an urge he can very rarely resist.

No,

Use fenders

Have bowthrusters

Own a widebeam

Berth in a marina

etc etc

rolleyes.gif

Oooooops

what about?

have an eco fan,

a cassette,

a beard,biggrin.png

what about?

have an eco fan,

a cassette,

a beard,biggrin.png

any kind of toilet! you are a bad person if you have ANY KIND OF TOILET! Pull over to the side of the canal and put your hands in the air!

you should ONLY use the toilet blocks at specific marinas.*

*there are no toilet blocks.

No,

Use fenders

Have bowthrusters

Own a widebeam

Berth in a marina

etc etc

:rolleyes:

Oooooops

Total agreement.

Although I don't have much rust. Might I add:

Pram covers on trad sterns

Unsilenced generators on the counter

Chainsaws shattering the silence nearly all feckin day

Edited to add:

Marina users are great. Keeps em off the canals!

Edited by Loafer

Glenda can't understand why it gives me a great feeling when we are on our boats and 'Sally Traffic' comes on Radio 2 warning about all the hold-ups, road closures etc. I always turn the radio up!

I love it because instead of being stuck in my bus in one of those jams, we only have to contend with the odd queue of swans, ducks, geese etc. And instead of the air ambulance hovering over us, we have beautiful red kites.

No boat rage either (normally!)

Yay! clapping.gifcheers.gif

Now being retired I hear you!

I have had great pleasure in going peacefully down Whilton locks while observing the M1 choked to a standstill. It is quite amazing how just a few hundred yards and a different transport system can make all the difference.

have an eco fan,

a cassette,

a beard,biggrin.png

Although I don't have much rust. Might I add:

Pram covers on trad sterns

Unsilenced generators on the counter

Chainsaws shattering the silence nearly all feckin day

ahhhh see if you add those 6 to the original list, we're doing ok again ...... Dave often shaves the beard off clapping.gif

And I'm sure she won't be shinny for long once we start cruising - leaving us with a score of 6 out of the possible 13 - making us kinda good peeps hug.gif

Now being retired I hear you!

I have had great pleasure in going peacefully down Whilton locks while observing the M1 choked to a standstill. It is quite amazing how just a few hundred yards and a different transport system can make all the difference.

That's the best feeling

At the risk of being morbid, anyone remember the last verse of the Betjeman poem that starts?

A man on his own in a car

Is revenging himself on his wife;

He open the throttle and bubbles with dottle

and puffs at his pitiful life

Boating definitely better!

"You're barmy or plastered, I'll pass you, you ****-

I will overtake you. I will!"

As he clenches his pipe, his moment is ripe

And the corner's accepting its kill.

I googled the first verse and it gave me the whole poem

I remember being just south of Norton junction, cruising way quicker than the traffic on the M1. It's a great feeling.

We think much the same each time we pass under the M62/M1 or indeed any other major route.

Pootling under the scurrying ants brings a sense of smug satisfaction...

I have a clear recollection of cruising under the M25 on the Slough Arm at 16:45h. We were definitely going faster than the motorway traffic.