BCN Challenge 2014 - 24 & 25th May

junior

Featured Posts

So...

We had a plan to start at the bottom of the 21 as that was where the boat was after Gnosall. Then we found out the Denry, Ryedale and Iona were all at the bottom of the 21 too, so we changed the plan and did a 2 hour dash to Broad street on the Friday evening. There we met Bogwappit, MVCL and another boat. Oh well

Saturday, our last two crew members arrived at 7:50. 7:55 we started the engine, 7:58 we untied and looked at all the other crews, none of whom had untied so at 8:00 off we went, leaving Statto to find the clue. Eventually we had to slow down to let him catch up. Off to Horseley Fields, Deepfields and up the Bradeley. By this time, Bogwappit was starting to catch us up - that boat flies along. While we winded in the pound, they winded in the basin entrance and got out first. Next we had an argument with Statto about the answer to the clue, I pulled rank and insisted it was 2 minutes, not some bonkers semantics...

Back to Deepfields, Horseley Fields and up the W&E, catching up Goosander who kindly let us past. We met a couple of other boats before reaching Birchills. Down the Walsall flight following Bogwappit (we lock quicker than they do) and into the town arm. There was some dramatic parallel turning in the basin with Bogwappit getting away first. They went down the Walsall, we went up the locks behind Alchemy, passing Goosander and Ryedale in the flight. Towards the top the incident with the young canal enthusiasts happened - they nicked a handcuff key off Alchemy and legged it, leaving the spanner behind that we impounded

On to Pelsall and up the Cannock Extension meeting a few boats going up, including Chalice. We picked up the shooting clue on the way, winded and came back down playing chicken with Albion on the way. We won!

Next, Catshill and the Anglesey branch where more competitive turning happened, this time with Firefly. Firefly turns quicker than Tawny, Tawny is faster in a straight line. Retrieved our clue finds and back to Catshill, except Swimmin Rob tried to go along the Lichfield at Ogley junction - how we laughed! Down the Daw End (very much improved by dredging) until the Captain insisted we stop at the Manor Arms at 9:20 instead of doing the Rushall flight. Drinks in the Manor Arms and so to bed

03:20, off down the Rushall in improving light, turn right at Newton Junction and around MVCL who kindly let us past. Squeezed through the stop lock gate on the Tame Valley, turn left at Ocker Hill and ram the fridge for fun. At Ryder's Green we met Firefly and made our only weedhatch trip of the competition. Up the Ryder's Green flight, moved the floating island out of the way and on to Pudding Green, Bromford Junction and up the Spon locks. A rope assisted turn at the top and around to the Titford flight which was chaos and lots of fun. We also passed four boats in five pounds, pushing Red Wharf all the way. Statto ran off to find the clue while we went and winded up by the pools. Picked up Statto (who was lockwheeling for fun) and down the flight.

Another rope assisted turn and off along the Old Main Line to Brades Junction for Brades locks on the Gower branch down to Albion junction - how many names does one piece of canal need! Left tun and fall into place for the run to the end. Netherton tunnel, pause for photo call at Windmill End, past Muskrat (weedhatch trip) and on to Gosty Hill in a queue with Joanna and joey boat at the front. On to Hawne Basin, tidy turn in (not) and that's it!

Highlights this year? Playing silly buggers in basins, the madness on the Titford, improved channels on the Bradeley and Daw End. And the excellent reception at Hawne Basin which really made it for me.

I think we have a competitive route, but not quite enough attention to detail to win. We will see

Richard

A vote for the tame valley. I love the difference. From memory it was the last addition to the bcn and so built very straight. I lke the way it goes high above some parts of the built up area yet further on looks rural. I also like it when, slow as it is by boat when shallow in places, we have actually been going faster than lorries on the stopped motorway.

On the other hand, one friend reckons he's never done the tame valley without having something thrown at him.

Yes the Tame Valley Canal was quite a late addition but the Rushall came after to link up with the Daw End and then the Wyrley & Essington. The Cannock Extension was even later. I know what you mean with your comments of the Walsall it really is a shame that boaters generally avoid it and because of that it gets clogged up all the more. Maybe one day it will be loved but a lot of work is needed before that happens. The BCN Society's Explorer Cruises use it on both cruises every year. Maybe a bit of help from the local communities would help.

I think we have a competitive route, but not quite enough attention to detail to win. We will see

Richard

WIth the length factor I think it will be a 70'+ boat that will win - you get 17% more points then we do at 60'

Sarahafvc's route was one we rejected as being too long so she is a really strong contender, you look like you have picked up most of the bonus sections so you have to be in with a shout.

So it seems we weren't the only ones playing silly buggers in basins!?

Another amusing thing if forgot to mention....

Saturday morning 7am, we were stood having a discussion on the pontoon at Star City with CHALICE's captain and crew about who was going to leave first for the assembly at Salford Junction ready for the 8am departure. There was 5 boats (us, Chalice, Deisel & Dust, Telemachus and an unknown) who had all chosen to over night at Star City with the intention of a short in the morning round to the start point.

As we were the last to arrive on the Friday night I suggested that we would leave last and suggested a good way of deciding the order we got away from the start point could be in order of arrival at Star City the previous evening. Alan Fincher thought this was a reasonable suggestion so we were just going to go and discuss it with the other crews when Diesel & Dust silently untied, cast off and THEN started their engine and hot footed it round to Salford Junction in anticipation of being first up the locks. When we got round there was already an unknown boat in front of them, so no idea where they came from. We decided we'd still do the polite thing and let everyone go before us so we took 20 mins of our break before we even started.

Things didn't stay quite so relaxed as the weekend went by, as evidenced by the 'battle of Anglesey Basin', playing chicken with Tawny Owl and the racing incident with Nick Norman.

• Greenie 1

So...

We had a plan to start at the bottom of the 21 as that was where the boat was after Gnosall. Then we found out the Denry, Ryedale and Iona were all at the bottom of the 21 too, so we changed the plan and did a 2 hour dash to Broad street on the Friday evening. There we met Bogwappit, MVCL and another boat. Oh well

Saturday, our last two crew members arrived at 7:50. 7:55 we started the engine, 7:58 we untied and looked at all the other crews, none of whom had untied so at 8:00 off we went, leaving Statto to find the clue. Eventually we had to slow down to let him catch up. Off to Horseley Fields, Deepfields and up the Bradeley. By this time, Bogwappit was starting to catch us up - that boat flies along. While we winded in the pound, they winded in the basin entrance and got out first. Next we had an argument with Statto about the answer to the clue, I pulled rank and insisted it was 2 minutes, not some bonkers semantics...

Back to Deepfields, Horseley Fields and up the W&E, catching up Goosander who kindly let us past. We met a couple of other boats before reaching Birchills. Down the Walsall flight following Bogwappit (we lock quicker than they do) and into the town arm. There was some dramatic parallel turning in the basin with Bogwappit getting away first. They went down the Walsall, we went up the locks behind Alchemy, passing Goosander and Ryedale in the flight. Towards the top the incident with the young canal enthusiasts happened - they nicked a handcuff key off Alchemy and legged it, leaving the spanner behind that we impounded

On to Pelsall and up the Cannock Extension meeting a few boats going up, including Chalice. We picked up the shooting clue on the way, winded and came back down playing chicken with Albion on the way. We won!

Next, Catshill and the Anglesey branch where more competitive turning happened, this time with Firefly. Firefly turns quicker than Tawny, Tawny is faster in a straight line. Retrieved our clue finds and back to Catshill, except Swimmin Rob tried to go along the Lichfield at Ogley junction - how we laughed! Down the Daw End (very much improved by dredging) until the Captain insisted we stop at the Manor Arms at 9:20 instead of doing the Rushall flight. Drinks in the Manor Arms and so to bed

03:20, off down the Rushall in improving light, turn right at Newton Junction and around MVCL who kindly let us past. Squeezed through the stop lock gate on the Tame Valley, turn left at Ocker Hill and ram the fridge for fun. At Ryder's Green we met Firefly and made our only weedhatch trip of the competition. Up the Ryder's Green flight, moved the floating island out of the way and on to Pudding Green, Bromford Junction and up the Spon locks. A rope assisted turn at the top and around to the Titford flight which was chaos and lots of fun. We also passed four boats in five pounds, pushing Red Wharf all the way. Statto ran off to find the clue while we went and winded up by the pools. Picked up Statto (who was lockwheeling for fun) and down the flight.

Another rope assisted turn and off along the Old Main Line to Brades Junction for Brades locks on the Gower branch down to Albion junction - how many names does one piece of canal need! Left tun and fall into place for the run to the end. Netherton tunnel, pause for photo call at Windmill End, past Muskrat (weedhatch trip) and on to Gosty Hill in a queue with Joanna and joey boat at the front. On to Hawne Basin, tidy turn in (not) and that's it!

Highlights this year? Playing silly buggers in basins, the madness on the Titford, improved channels on the Bradeley and Daw End. And the excellent reception at Hawne Basin which really made it for me.

Richard

We had an argument about the clue on the Bradley Arm too. I still think it makes no sense (our answer was 4 minutes). Looking at your route, I'd say you have too many repeated sections to win, not that we stand any chance anyway. I'd be interested to know if the challenge has ever been won by a boat shorter than 60'. It would be damn hard anyway.

I'd be interested to know if the challenge has ever been won by a boat shorter than 60'. It would be damn hard anyway.

Well I think Laurie's EPIC cruise from Gas St Basin directly to the finish line at Hawne Basin in a 30ft boat was an outstanding effort and deserves to win.

:)

MtB

Looking at your route, I'd say you have too many repeated sections to win,

Now, Statto ran this years challenge through his optimisation software and came up with a route of 370 points, including 4 1/2 hours of repeated, non scoring route. I did a manual route (because I didn't want to do the Walsall twice) and got 368. Then we ran up the 21 and had to wing it instead blush.png

I must check out what we did

Richard

MORE: 63 miles, 51 locks, 375 points, a pint in the Manor Arms plus any clues we got right

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Now, Statto ran this years challenge through his optimisation software and came up with a route of 370 points, including 4 1/2 hours of repeated, non scoring route. I did a manual route (because I didn't want to do the Walsall twice) and got 368. Then we ran up the 21 and had to wing it instead blush.png

I must check out what we did

Richard

MORE: 63 miles, 51 locks, 375 points, a pint in the Manor Arms plus any clues we got right

Richard

I think we scored 21 ...

Our route was 45.5 miles and 56 locks but with a continuous non-repeating route except for the trip up and down the Titford Canal. However with a length of 45ft our points score would never be good enough to win. Also we initially planned 8 mins per lock and 2.8mph average speed (to allow for shallow canals, trips down the weedhatch, dog toilet breaks etc) but in fact on analysis we did around 6 mins/lock (which I reckon is pretty good for 2 of us) and average 3.5mph. There were a couple of occasions on deep sections (such as BCN mainline) where I reckon we 'clocked' higher than 4mph, so timed the approach to the junction to not exceed a section average 4mph.

Phtobuck is down at the moment but later I'll post a screenshot of the route.

Photobucket working again for me:

BCN2014route_zps071b4f9f.jpg

Edited by Paul C

One for the serious geeks here. This is the presentation prepared by Statto for a conference in Italy on planning our 2013 route:

http://www.primrose-engineering.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/20140501_CanalRouteOptimisation_v1.pdf

If you have any questions, I can pass them on

Richard

Very interesting use of a piece of software, a bit more complex planning than my Excel Spreadsheet.

Maybe an idea for next year could be to conceal the 'multipliers' for the various stages until the 8am envelope-opening time, so making it almost impossible to plan in advance. They could give for example 10 minutes head start on opening the envelopes, then everyone has to 'plan' their route from where they have chosen (somewhat arbitarily) to start, then an earliest start time of 8:10am or so for moving the boat.

That would make it a bit more interesting!

Do I hear the rumblings of people planning next year's already?

Not necessarily planning, just doing the post event analysis. As it was the first time I had taken part I want to see whether I could of used better estimates for timings. The other thing seems to be to get Junior to get a 20ft extension to Albion to maximise the points.

Would it be within the rules to attach the boat pole to the front of the boat, to make it longer?

Perhaps a battering ram so we wouldn't have to chicken out when Team Tawny are flying towards the bridge 'ole.