Bl##dy racing canoes'

Proper Job

Featured Posts

On 14/10/2023 at 20:27, MtB said:

I was overtaken by an e-bike the other day and I followed it out of the village onto a long stright country lane. The lad had clearly modified it as he wasn't pedalling at all and I clocked him doing a shade under 50mph as I followed in my van. 

Do the current rules (about having to pedal) cover older electric bikes or are they grandfathered?

I wonder as I have an older one (probably around 20 years old) which has the electric drive as a totally independent system and got me up to around 40 (probably less now as I have gained some weight), you only make the mistake of snapping open the throttle from a standing start once as you end up sitting in the road wondering where the bike has gone.

10 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

Do the current rules (about having to pedal) cover older electric bikes or are they grandfathered?

I don't know for sure but I suspect the rule originates in the moped regs which require the moped to be bicycle-like and to be pedalable for some obscure reason.

If this turns out to be correct there can't be any grandfathering. 

23 minutes ago, MtB said:

I don't know for sure but I suspect the rule originates in the moped regs which require the moped to be bicycle-like and to be pedalable for some obscure reason.

If this turns out to be correct there can't be any grandfathering. 

Moped regs changed in 1977 iirc. Mopeds from then on didnt need pedals, the term came to mean a small motorcycle with an engine and speed limit size of engine below? and top speed below somett like 29mph iirc. I aint googling, I only remember cos of the shitty job I did around that time. That was how the much loved piece of crap the Yamaha Fizzy ( FS1E ) came into being, it had pedals at first that could be cranked to move into place like motorcycle foot pedals, these were dropped on the later models. Lots of definitions change over the years.

• Greenie 1

Motorcycle driving licences and groups have also changed over the years. I passed my m/c test at 16 and was permitted to ride a bike of any size straight away. My brother was three years younger, and he could only ride a moped until he reached 17. 

Funnily enough, he was the one who ended up with a 1300 Kawasaki.

Edited by Machpoint005
Autocorrect -- didn't
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Jess-- said:

I wonder as I have an older one (probably around 20 years old) which has the electric drive as a totally independent system and got me up to around 40 (probably less now as I have gained some weight), you only make the mistake of snapping open the throttle from a standing start once as you end up sitting in the road wondering where the bike has gone.

I think there is something in what you say, as they were legal when the went to market

14 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Motorcycle driving licences and groups have also changed over the years. I passed my m/c test at 16 and was permitted to ride a bike of any size straight away. My brother was three years younger, and he could only ride a moped until he reached 17. 

Funnily enough, he was the one who ended up with a 1300 Kawasaki.

Indeed so. One thing that may be relevant to many on the forum and they may not be aware of is on reaching age 70 unless you request retaining it you lose the right to drive up to 7.5 tons and it reverts to the 3.5 ton car limit. c1 iirc. 

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I really don't like ebikes, they allow people to go faster than their cycling skills are capable of coping with.

😂 Hilarious, hes bollocking the muppet on the bike for riding ont footpath being illegal as he parks his van on the double yellow lines :banghead: 😂

On 14/10/2023 at 21:12, Machpoint005 said:

E bikes can legally be used, but there are insurance requirements. Just as there are for off-road bikes with petrol engines. That seems to be another unenforceable law.

There is no insurance requirement for an Ebike.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Indeed so. One thing that may be relevant to many on the forum and they may not be aware of is on reaching age 70 unless you request retaining it you lose the right to drive up to 7.5 tons and it reverts to the 3.5 ton car limit. c1 iirc. 

Likewise minibus if you renew online

20 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

😂 Hilarious, hes bollocking the muppet on the bike for riding ont footpath being illegal as he parks his van on the double yellow lines :banghead: 😂

But you can wait/load there so long as no no waiting/loading mark's are installed. Popular misconception.