The practicalities of living aboard

Theo

Featured Posts

The end of the year and the beginning of the new one have seen progress in achieving our aim to live aboard for a bit before we are too old for it to be practical. We will be continuously cruising for about three years. This brings to mind a few things that we need to arrange before we move off the bank at, guessing, the end of February.

1. We intend to use our older son's address as a postal address. I hope that he and his wife won't mind forwarding mail to poste restante addresses as we cruise. That one seems to be sorted but if others have other ideas for receiving post that have worked well I would be pleased to hear.

2. We may need proof of identity at some point. Passports should do but it may be sensible to renew them before we leave this address. They expire in 2015. People often ask for recent utility bills. We won't have these how do you get around this one?

3. Have people found it better to have a regular dentist/doctor and travel back to visit? I wonder if we cam just use one close to where we happen to be? Are there difficulties with this plan?

I can't think of anything else to sort out. We have internet access sorted. Internet banking should serve our needs. I know that I need to buy something to trail the portapotti around as its getting heavier as the years go by. (Higher density poo?) I wonder if there is anything serious that I have forgotten.

I look forward to the flood of good advice which I always get when I ask a question.

TIA

Nick

2. We may need proof of identity at some point. Passports should do but it may be sensible to renew them before we leave this address. They expire in 2015. People often ask for recent utility bills. We won't have these how do you get around this one?

2. Bank statements and credit card bills, most (recent for me was car rental) like upto date ones at most of around 3 months old so I stick to paper statements instead of just online statements.

Edited by Robbo

I'm sorry, I can't remember - do you already have the boat?

When you buy a trolley for the cassette, maybe consider one that would be substantial enough for heavier loads (gas tanks, coal etc) too.

Good luck with your planning :)

When you buy a trolley for the cassette, maybe consider one that would be substantial enough for heavier loads (gas tanks, coal etc) too.

Good luck with your planning smile.png

Maplin are still selling their 70kg rated folding trolley at the moment. It's certainly good enough for 2 x 25 kg bags of coal, or a few packs of Tesco heat logs.

Good luck with your planning smile.png

Already have the boat, the lovely Theodora. The substantial trolley from Maplins that John mentioned sounds good.

2. Bank statements and credit card bills, most (recent for me was car rental) like upto date ones at most of around 3 months old so I stick to paper statements instead of just online statements.

Will be all right with older son's address on it?

Nick

Nick, I seem to remember reading somewhere (it might have been on this site) to make sure that you put c/o on the address ;i.e Mr and Mrs such and such, c/o 1 sweet street etc.

This indicates not your own address and also wont affect your son for some things he may claim for. (I think this is right, I cannot remember exactly but I will try and find on the site or someone else might come along and confirm or correct as may be)

Nick, I seem to remember reading somewhere (it might have been on this site) to make sure that you put c/o on the address ;i.e Mr and Mrs such and such, c/o 1 sweet street etc.

This indicates not your own address and also wont affect your son for some things he may claim for. (I think this is right, I cannot remember exactly but I will try and find on the site or someone else might come along and confirm or correct as may be)

It might be an idea to contact Experian or one of the other credit checking agencies if you're using a private address as a c/o address, to disassociate your credit record from the occupier. Or just tell your bank about the situation, and they should do the paperwork.

If you need an address for I.D. purposes, you may find that 'c/o' on the address won't help. If you are prepared to forego the 'c/o', then change your driving licenses address to that of your son - I.D. with address, d.o.b. and photo is always welcomed. Plus when the police turn up to arrest you for speeding, you can do a runner and blame it on your son - its what they are for!!

Simple answer, just tell every one that the address you give (your sons) is your address.

We do not have any paperwork, all done on line, and hire cars regularly they accept my driving licence and a print out from my computer with the banks heading and my address (daughters).

Recently got new passports using that address, no problem.

Doctor is at 'home address' and if we need to see a doctor we go to the nearest surgery and ask to be seen as a temporary resident.

The only thing you do have to be aware of if your son is getting any benefits, council tax relief etc. it will affect his claim.

edit: typo/spell-checker

Edited by bottle

I applied for my UK bank account using my street address at boatmail. My bank send paper statements to that address that I have used. I've also used it for a few other things, phone, Internet.....that they needed a UK address for. So if I can do it from over here, I bet it's fine for a citizen on a UK canal somewhere.

Hey Theo :)

1. We use my husband's parents' address and have our mail sent post restante - this has worked well for us for over four years. It helps is you have total trust and no secrets - we quite often ask mother-in-law to open our mail so we can decide whether it's important enough to be forwarded or whether it can wait until we visit next.

2. This did give me quite a lot of grief recently when I gained temporary employment and I didn't have enough proofs of ID to satisfy the employment agency, mainly because our bank and credit card statements are no longer sent by post and if you print them out online the address doesn't appear on them. In the end I phoned our bank and asked them to send a paper copy, which satisfied the agency. I'd definitely recommend renewing your passport - quite often two forms of photo ID are required for which I use driving licence and passport.

3. I'm still registered with my doctor in Kent and rely on the surgery for reminders of routine stuff that needs doing every few years (maybe more pertinent to the lady of the family). While we're travelling if I need a doctor, as Bottle as said, I sign up as a temporary resident. I've had surgery in Lancaster whilst signed up in this manner - it doesn't inhibit your treatment at all. Dentist is another matter - I used to religiously have my teeth checked every six months but have found it very difficult while we've been cc'ing and my dental health has slipped. I'd be very interested in other responses on this issue.

Best of luck!

Edited by Ange

The end of the year and the beginning of the new one have seen progress in achieving our aim to live aboard for a bit before we are too old for it to be practical. We will be continuously cruising for about three years. This brings to mind a few things that we need to arrange before we move off the bank at, guessing, the end of February.

1. We intend to use our older son's address as a postal address. I hope that he and his wife won't mind forwarding mail to poste restante addresses as we cruise. That one seems to be sorted but if others have other ideas for receiving post that have worked well I would be pleased to hear.

3. Have people found it better to have a regular dentist/doctor and travel back to visit? I wonder if we cam just use one close to where we happen to be? Are there difficulties with this plan?

I can't think of anything else to sort out. We have internet access sorted. Internet banking should serve our needs. I know that I need to buy something to trail the portapotti around as its getting heavier as the years go by. (Higher density poo?) I wonder if there is anything serious that I have forgotten.

I look forward to the flood of good advice which I always get when I ask a question.

TIA

Nick

1 & 2. we use our daughters address - changed what we need to into that address driving licences, bank etc, mifi bill, phone bills..hasnt been an issue so far. She has our permission to open all mail and if there;s anything important she phones and arranges to meet us to hand over mail............good excuse to come and see us. the only other thing i would advise is is you are using an address where the person benefits from sole occupancy council tax make sure you write to the council and tell them that you are only using the address for mailing purposes and you are not living there. my daughter had problems with that even though we furnished all the necessary to her local authority previously..........we had to do it all again - bless her!

3. Dentist...........they should by rights keep you on the books for 3 years and as long as you visit at least once in every 2 that should be ok. at least thats what ours have told us.

Doctors has been a little more complicated for us as our last surgery wrote to me for routine screening at our last winters marina mooring instead of my daughters address. they returned the letter to the surgery and the result was we didnt know that we hadnt had a doctor all last year but thankfully thats all sorted now. we've managed to get registered with a surgery who deals with many a liveaboard boater so they told us a thing or two! Again just make sure if they need to write to you that someone will receive the mail for you as thats where the problems arise.

living aboard isnt complicated nor should it be. lots of other things you will sort to your needs/wants as you go along. other than that all i can advise is enjoy!!

TG

Edited by tillergirl

Keep registered with your own doctor, you can see a doctor anywhere as a visitor but they will ask for the address of your home doctor.

It might be worth getting your name on the electoral roll at your sons address as I suspect this is the first step in any credit checking. Unless he is claiming single person council tax discount this should be no problem.

99% of post can go straight in the bin. Maybe your son could scan other stuff and email it to you, or just read it to you over the phone. You could then collect any essential stuff a couple of times each year. Post restante works very well at some post offices. Others just don't know what it is. Villages and small towns appear to do better than cities.

Lack of utility bills is a big problem but most companies will be a bit flexible. Get paper bank statements if you can and also keep your CaRT licence reminder and any stuff that HMRC send you..

A big solid sack truck with decent pneumatic tyres is much much better than a folding trolley if you have the space, little wheels go nowhere in the mud and folding trolleys do keep appearing in the CaRT skips..

A passport is useful but a photo driving licence is usually just as good.

..............Dave

Renewing passports is really easy, just do it to your sons address a few months before they run out so you have time to pick the new ones up. If you are careful to request paper bank statements and anything else you may need when you know you'll visit your son, you will be fine. Register at a dentist and doc near him and time appointments. Otherwise use nhs walk in centres or temp patient where possible. My gp has even done prescriptions over the phone and faxed them to the nearest chemist.

I don't live aboard but I'm a property guardian and move a lot, no fixed address, utility bills, council tax etc. I've been fine like this for years, the only thing that was a pain was changing banks but if you can be on the electoral roll at yours sons address it will help a lot.

Would drawing up a rental agreement for a nominal amount (or just don't pay) between you and your son help to separate your credit at all?

Maplin are still selling their 70kg rated folding trolley at the moment. It's certainly good enough for 2 x 25 kg bags of coal, or a few packs of Tesco heat logs.

Just ordered that. I like the flatness of its folding. Thanks for the hint, John

Nick

Already have the boat, the lovely Theodora. The substantial trolley from Maplins that John mentioned sounds good.

Will be all right with older son's address on it?

Nick

We have an "official" address- Black Ibis' mum's house, on the other side of the country from where we live! All our bank accounts, the DVLA, etc., are registered there, because of not having an address at our residential mooring. It made it significantly easier to have everything officially linked to that address, and means that I can get bank statements etc. with that address on if required.

The main problem with accessing healthcare, as a live aboard, was the computer system of the receptionists, and their refusal to accept anyone without a postcode in the area. But it is possible, after persevering, to register and be seen if required.

Thanks to all for your ideas.

I find myself impressed by he ACC's web site which has simple, clear and practical advice based on personal experience.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As we are due to move aboard in the next few weeks i've set up'boatmail' and our local GP surgery were really understanding and helpful... Next to tackle the car insurance... Doubt this will be so straight forward....!

How have you got on with your car insurance?

as a live aboard I found it impossible to get insurance without lying about my address, after 2 yrs. I am still nervous that technically I am not insured,