The practicalities of living aboard

Theo

Featured Posts

Simple answer, just tell every one that the address you give (your sons) is your address.

We do not have any paperwork, all done on line, and hire cars regularly they accept my driving licence and a print out from my computer with the banks heading and my address (daughters).

Recently got new passports using that address, no problem.

Doctor is at 'home address' and if we need to see a doctor we go to the nearest surgery and ask to be seen as a temporary resident.

The only thing you do have to be aware of if your son is getting any benefits, council tax relief etc. it will affect his claim.

edit: typo/spell-checker

What would you do if you dont have a home address as you have moved out of rental accomadation onto the boat?

We rent out a house we own but cant use it for post.

thanks.

Thanks but what about the doctors?

If I'M 200 miles from my contact address how do I get treatment if need be?

Thus becomes a problem. You can register as temp patients for 3 months. But we had the problem today where we had regustered az a temp for over 3 months and rdceptionist refused an appointment. Asked to speak to practise manager who said the rules do not allow them tk re register but they could see as something liks "immediate need' or similar. But nothing to stop you registeting at a docs svery month or si. But records woukd never catch up.

Basjcally, for real CCers, its acrock of shit

Edited by jelunga

Thanks but what about the doctors?

If I'M 200 miles from my contact address how do I get treatment if need be?

Just go to the local doctor and fill in a form giving the name of your home doctor and a local address which can be "the wharf, wherever". Getting past the receptionist is often the hardest bit, it sometimes helps to say that you are on holiday on a boat rather than a liveaboard. Have a look at the ACC website, it explains all this stuff.

...........Dave

Just go to the local doctor and fill in a form giving the name of your home doctor and a local address which can be "the wharf, wherever". Getting past the receptionist is often the hardest bit, it sometimes helps to say that you are on holiday on a boat rather than a liveaboard. Have a look at the ACC website, it explains all this stuff.

...........Dave

I have recently used Autherley Junction, Braunston Stop House and Hillmorton Locks as my home address for Doctors prescription purposes. (Thanks to Badseys for postcode!!). I have never had an issue with car insurance or tax/registration, even when going through an insurance crash claim scam earlier this year.

Theodore looked very good when I was as Sileby Mill just over a week ago.

Thus becomes a problem. You can register as temp patients for 3 months. But we had the problem today where we had regustered az a temp for over 3 months and rdceptionist refused an appointment. Asked to speak to practise manager who said the rules do not allow them tk re register but they could see as something liks "immediate need' or similar. But nothing to stop you registeting at a docs svery month or si. But records woukd never catch up.

What a pain in the neck!

If only we could carry a copy of our own records in this country or can we I wonder?

I have recently used Autherley Junction, Braunston Stop House and Hillmorton Locks as my home address for Doctors prescription purposes. (Thanks to Badseys for postcode!!). I have never had an issue with car insurance or tax/registration, even when going through an insurance crash claim scam earlier this year.

Theodore looked very good when I was as Sileby Mill just over a week ago.

She will look a deal better when we have sorted out the cloths! The old ones are absolutely worn out.

N

How about a different surgery in the same town??

• 7 months later...

We have been happily living aboard now for five months and the time has come to use Poste Restante. This bit of information says that lots of post offices do it but not all. I have not yet found out how to discover which do and which don't. I have emailed Royal Mail to ask them but they are "experiencing higher than normal customer equiries" so they might not be able to answer within the normal three days (which starts on Monday because I emailed after office hours this evening. Perhaps one of the many helpful people on here can tell me how to find out.

Nick

I thought records were now on line, I often use a walk in clinic "claiming" I'm staying at a friends if I am unwell..TBH not registered with any GP ATM. I tell them have sold house and in-between addresses.

Trouble is regular meds almost all gone...I sort of ensured plenty before left old GP.

I think you can request copy of your records but believe there is a charge.

We have been happily living aboard now for five months and the time has come to use Poste Restante. This bit of information says that lots of post offices do it but not all. I have not yet found out how to discover which do and which don't. I have emailed Royal Mail to ask them but they are "experiencing higher than normal customer equiries" so they might not be able to answer within the normal three days (which starts on Monday because I emailed after office hours this evening. Perhaps one of the many helpful people on here can tell me how to find out.

Nick

I always walk to the nearest PO and ask them if they will oblige and also get their official address.

I always walk to the nearest PO and ask them if they will oblige and also get their official address.

That's what we do.

It does seem to be at the whim of the postmaster/mistress, which can be a pain sometimes.

If you need an address for I.D. purposes, you may find that 'c/o' on the address won't help. If you are prepared to forego the 'c/o', then change your driving licenses address to that of your son - I.D. with address, d.o.b. and photo is always welcomed. Plus when the police turn up to arrest you for speeding, you can do a runner and blame it on your son - its what they are for!!

I would second this advice, when we first moved aboard 14 years ago we used C/O in front of oour address but very quickly realised it brought all kinds of problems so we dropped it and everything was fine. For about 10 years our address was the Post Office in the village we moored at, he used to take our mail (for free).

Phil