High blood pressure (medication query)

homer2911

Featured Posts

Absolutely right ... the first dose of any of the drugs ending "pril" (ACE inhibitors) should be taken at bedtime, after that the morning is fine so the OP should be OK now .

Nick (Pharmacist)

It is advised that Lisinopril is taken at bed time for all doses not just the first.

It is advised that Lisinopril is taken at bed time for all doses not just the first.

Are you sure? My GP didn't advise this and Nick as a pharmacist should know his onions surely?

Are you sure? My GP didn't advise this and Nick as a pharmacist should know his onions surely?

Yes! A couple of months or so ago I got a letter from my GP saying recent research had shown them to be more effective if taken at night. I have just looked at my old packet and the new packet (both from different chemists) and both say on the label "Take ONE at NIGHT" (Their capitals).

Yes! A couple of months or so ago I got a letter from my GP saying recent research had shown them to be more effective if taken at night. I have just looked at my old packet and the new packet (both from different chemists) and both say on the label "Take ONE at NIGHT" (Their capitals).

Mmmm.. I need to check my new supply of Ramipril to see if it says the same. It's an ACE inhibitor too.

Absolutely right ... the first dose of any of the drugs ending "pril" (ACE inhibitors) should be taken at bedtime, after that the morning is fine so the OP should be OK now .

Nick (Pharmacist)

Thing is due to a dry cough symptom I changed from Ramipril to Amlodopine which I believe is a calcium channel blocker, does this still apply?

A few years ago I managed to sprain both my ankles on the towpath I had to be taken to hospital to be sorted whilst in the ambulance they did a ECG, blood pressure etc they concluded I should be dead!! My reading was 230 over 165!!! at the hospital my reading was high but not bad on checking they found the ambulance equipment to be faulty. The result of that hospital visit has meant 3 years of BP tablets changing every couple of months until something suitable was found. My last visit the DR told me that as you get older your blood pressure starts to go back down again (he means into your 70s) cant wait lol

Peter

Does anyone else who takes Statins for high cholesterol have muscle pains? I am fairly certain that statins are causing the pain I have in my upper arm/shoulder and on my doctors advice I have stopped taking them for a few weeks. Anyone else have/had similar problems? Just wondering how common it is.

haggis

Does anyone else who takes Statins for high cholesterol have muscle pains? I am fairly certain that statins are causing the pain I have in my upper arm/shoulder and on my doctors advice I have stopped taking them for a few weeks. Anyone else have/had similar problems? Just wondering how common it is.

haggis

They did try me on statins at one point and then abandoned them. The first played hell with my emotions, I could be sitting watching TV or reading and a suddenly burst into tears for no apparent reason (the docs hadn't ever come across that one before) and the second gave me muscle pains -mainly arms and shoulders, but anywhere really.

Don't ask which statins as I really can't remember.

haggis

Yep me

Simvastatin gave me muscle pains

Stopped that they went away. Started a new statin and they came back, about to try again.

Will see how I get on.

Thing is due to a dry cough symptom I changed from Ramipril to Amlodopine which I believe is a calcium channel blocker, does this still apply?

Amlodipine is a calcium channel blocker, you do not need to take the first dose at bedtime, it does not cause a dry cough.....does that answer your question?

Edited by NickF

That's interesting! It is simvastatins I was on. My doc gave me the impression that muscle pain reaction was very rare. Doesn't look like he was right.

Haggis

I get the impression that it's 'officially' rare, maybe because they want it to be so, the reality seems to be a little different.

Tim

Yep Simvastatin equals muscle pain

I'm on Rosuvostatin now.

Here's a tip my GP gave to me when he changed my statin.

Apparently statins depress the body's natural production of Co-enzyme Q10. Every cell in the body needs Co-enzyme Q10 to function at at full capacity. It is the natural dropping off of Q10 that hastens the ageing process. Statins, by suppressing the body's Q10, accelerate the ageing process.

He recommended buying Q10 as a daily supplement

Edited by Bazza2

You are right about the recent research but there is not really enough evidence yet to say that that is right. Essentially the jury is still out on that one.

The dose written on the label is transcribed from the GPs prescription and so is initiated by the GP not the pharmacist.

Really interesting research though and it may be that in the future there is more evidence in the favour of night times dosing but general opinion at the moment is there is insufficient evidence to recomend it. Night time dosing will certainly not do you any harm so if that is what your GP recomends then I would suggest you stick with it.

Nick

I get the impression that it's 'officially' rare, maybe because they want it to be so, the reality seems to be a little different.

Tim

They should report any adverse reactions using something called the yellow card system. This is how side effects of drugs are reported and collated (At least in my day).

I'm not sure how many GP's do though and I suspect under reporting is rife.

Yep Simvastatin equals muscle pain

I'm on Rosuvostatin now.

Here's a tip my GP gave to me when he changed my statin.

Apparently statins depress the body's natural production of Co-enzyme Q10. Every cell in the body needs Co-enzyme Q10 to function at at full capacity. It is the natural dropping off of Q10 that hastens the ageing process. Statins, by suppressing the body's Q10, accelerate the ageing process.

He recommended buying Q10 as a daily supplement

I was on Simvastatin for about three years until I went into hospital last year for an operation on my foot. Simvastatin caused severe muscle pains and cramps which my GP effectively told me to live with because "there are side effects but the benefits outweigh any side effects"; not to mention the depression symptoms which in my case were fortunately quite mild. The anaesthetist at the hospital was horrified at the dose I was taking and suggested I came off it because the corrective foot surgery would be very severely compromised should I get cramp in the same leg.

Later on I found that I had become borderline type 2 diabetic and after some research, I discovered there is a correlation between the taking of some types of statin and the onset of type 2 in people whose lifestyle and/or genetic make-up means there is a chance of development of diabetes. In the USA where the studies were done, it is now a requirement that a warning goes on the information leaflet for the types in question - atorvastatin, rosuvastatin and simvastatin. This is not required in UK but IT BLOODY WELL SHOULD BE frusty.gif and I have told my GP so. I now do not take statins of any sort except plant types in Benecol and as a supplement in tablet form if I run out of Benecol for any reason. My cholesterol level is now 5.1, down from a "dangerously high" (according to my GP) level of 5.9. At one time while on the simvastatin it was down to 3.9 so it does work on cholesterol - pity about the side effects!

As an aside, I am also on low dose blood pressure med to keep my BP low enough to pass the medical for the PCV licence.