Just lost for words

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Where I used to live on the edge of the Basingstoke Canal I found out that the two County Council owners (but specifically Surrey) planned to build a bridge to join the old primary school on one side of the cut (southern) with a proposed new secondary school in what's known as the Brookwood Farm Development on the northern side of the cut.

I suggested that perhaps a fixed bridge may be better and less costly and certainly less of a bother regarding maintenance as the bridge would have, by default, to be closed to canal users. I also pointed out that for single handed boaters a swing bridge in a mile long pound after the Brookwood Three or, coming down the Deepcut 14 wasn't all that helpful.

I have received pages of reply saying why it must be a swing bridge but the words that stuck in my throat were as follows 'We are of course aware of the needs of single handed boaters, and whilst I appreciate that this is something close to your heart it is not a practice which should be encouraged for safety reasons'.

Am I being too sensitive?

Edited by Leo No2

Where I used to live on the edge of the Basingstoke Canal I found out that the two County Council owners (but specifically Surrey) planned to build a bridge to join the old primary school on one side of the cut (southern) with a proposed new secondary school in what's known as the Brookwood Farm Development on the northern side of the cut.

I suggested that perhaps a fixed bridge may be better and less costly and certainly less of a bother regarding maintenance as the bridge would have, by default, to be closed to canal users. I also pointed out that for single handed boaters a swing bridge in a mile long pound after the Brookwood Three or, coming down the Deepcut 14 was all that helpful.

I have received pages of reply saying why it must be a swing bridge but the words that stuck in my throat were as follows 'We are of course aware of the needs of single handed boaters, and whilst I appreciate that this is something close to your heart it is not a practice which should be encouraged for safety reasons'.

Am I being too sensitive?

Was this from CRT?

cross posted with Neil

Edited by The Dog House

You aren't being too sensitive - swing or lift bridges are a pain in the fundament for singlehanders.

I must admit that I was hoping they were going to go on about one handed boaters and disability.....

If it is going to be a swing bridge, let's hope it will be the sort, thanks to its position, that causes total aggravation to road users!

I didn't think CRT had anything to do with the Basingstoke?

I don't know - it would help though I think if the OP could clarify because if that has been written by somebody who should know better then it affects the response.

Just to be clear nothing to do with CRT - entirely the County Council owners of the Basingstoke - specifically Surrey in this case.

Yes swing bridges aren't the safest things in the world BUT why not put a fixed bridge with decent headroom in. I suppose the boater is expendable and children aren't. I am just disappointed at the logic of it all.

Priceless!

What could be more dangerous than a swing bridge where children are involved?

I would think that a nice flat swing bridge would be far safer than a fixed bridge. This is for primary age children and a wet or icy bridge has probably been considered a risk

I would think that a nice flat swing bridge would be far safer than a fixed bridge. This is for primary age children and a wet or icy bridge has probably been considered a risk

It is not that I am concerned about it is the fact that the County Council consider single-handed boating a safety issue - I have lost count of the number of times I have used the Brookwood Three by myself (even when we were meant to have a ranger accompanying each boat!). A fixed bridge could easily be built with very shallow approaches - there's oodles of County Council owned land in the area - probably 300/400 acres and they own the canal!

Just to be clear nothing to do with CRT - entirely the County Council owners of the Basingstoke - specifically Surrey in this case.

Then in my opinion and in answer to your question I think you are being a bit sensitive because who ever wrote that clearly doesn't have a clue.

If it was coming from somebody who you would expect to know better then you would be right in my opinion to be 'put out' by such a crass ill informed statement, as it wasn't put it down to having sent by some bureaucrat who doesn't know his backside from his elbow.

What about the danger of children falling in the water? Has the Council not considered this? We need railings along this dangerous death trap. As for single Handed boating, the folly of it. What if the steerer has a turn, and looses control of his vessel... ban single handed boating. And single handed car driving too.

I am going to write a strongly worded letter to the Daily Express now. They will shurley take this up as a crusade.

yours, incensed

Tunbridge Wells

• Greenie 2

Then in my opinion and in answer to your question I think you are being a bit sensitive because who ever wrote that clearly doesn't have a clue.

If it was coming from somebody who you would expect to know better then you would be right in my opinion to be 'put out' by such a crass ill informed statement, as it wasn't put it down to having sent by some bureaucrat who doesn't know his backside from his elbow.

I should have included this from his e-Mail but sort of thought better of it at the time - 'Please remember that unlike previous canal management I am a recreational boater myself!' Edited by Leo No2

I hope the person who made such comments in that reply you received ,had someone proof read it befor sending.

As single handed replies should be discouraged,for stupidity reasons

Above is In my opinion,(proof read,& wagged approved by my dog, charlie)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

I should have included this from his e-Mail but sort of thought better of it at the time - 'Please remember that unlike previous canal management I am a recreational boater myself!'

You could send them a link to this story- www.pryers-solicitors.co.uk/blog/personal-injury-news/schoolgirl-has-legs-amputated-after-swing-bridge-accident/ - and ask him to detail exactly what steps will be taken to prevent something similar occurring here.

The main thing is that this accident was due to poor maintenance (abet vandalism to the lock) not the choice of bridge for this location. How many times have you slipped on a fixed bridge compared to a swing bridge? No answers required, just a point

Except for the OP we are speculating on the rights or wrongs on this subject and although we all have our own thoughts on the subject all the facts are not available.