Just lost for words

Leo No2

Featured Posts

We have had hundreds of swing bridges in operation for hundreds of years - and one major accident has happened. That makes swing bridges supremely safe!

How do you know? How could anyone know?

There was a fatal accident at one of the old style swing bridges on the Macc, which BW subsequently mechanised.

Surely a fixed bridge would be much much cheaper to build

A fixed pedestrian bridge should be cheaper and would cost less in maintenance.

BW did just that with one of the old *accommodation* swing bridges near us.

ive found that councills tend to apply planning in such a way that if its a council build then a lot of points get fogged over , ie if its a factory they carnt build unless theirs ample car parking for all the staff and reps etc , if its a school then parking is not their problem , they just cause it ,

also the few have to suffer for the many , your vote wont count the paents , govoneers and local councillers will , and they will all be invited to view the works before during , ( opening junket and ribbon cutting ) and afterwards ( to show its success ) how ever i doubt if many single boaters will get a invite or free tea and cucumber sarnies

id think that any problems caused on the canal afterwards will not be the problem or concern of the schools , as theit concorn and responsibility stop at the school gates

Exactly as the lift bridges on the south Oxford work now.

So I just discovered on the current lift bridges thread. I must try the south oxford. Sounds like single hander heaven!

There was a fatal accident at one of the old style swing bridges on the Macc, which BW subsequently mechanised.

I was meaning that since the first swing bridges were installed, there may have been many serious accidents which have not been recorded and many more which forum members are not aware of. There is no formal reporting system for non work related accidents and HASAWA / RIDDOR are recent things, unlike swing bridges.