Dogs on leads while on towpath

Kristian

Featured Posts

Our dogs went to obedience classes. They are friendly &obedient and when with the wife they are perfectly well behaved. On the other hand, it was quickly realised that in obedience, I like most of my fellow men, am the weakest link!

There is no point having a dog at the end of a lead when the person in charge is lacking in judgement ...

I've no idea what your dog is actually like, but it is a general feature of dog owners that their darling pet woofy-woofy can do no wrong and is "perfectly under control at all times" (even when seen bounding up to strangers, barking and snapping at them, chasing wildlife etc). Even those who go on to maul small children to death etc.

So for me, dogs (who despite all the anthropomorphisation are in fact animals and therefore to some extent unpredictable) should be on a lead in a public place where others are present. But they rarely are, and I have the paw prints to prove it!

Wholeheartedly agree. I've nothing against dogs (they are animals) but i object violently to humans who expect me to accept standards of animal behaviour they aparently have no problem with.

Consideration is necessary, but acceptance that any dog -- any dog -- might behave unpredictably is what is required.

Being under control means being on a lead, unless the owner can demonstrate that the dog obeys every word of command immediately and without exception.

>>> My little King Charles "Charlie Chuckles" <<<

nicknorman used the word anthropmorphisation.

Says it all, really.

Short leads at all times , dog no further than two foot from owners two feet then the filthy scum can not pretend the have not seen the dog crapping , Burscough towpath is full of crap and since they put a new 3/4 foot wide hardcore path in the owners now resort to encouraging the dogs to crap in what little grass is left between the path and waters edge /boats , each visit to the boat i now remove the fouling from the grass and after a day out on a little cruise to appley bridge i return to fresh mounds of the filth ,many times on or very close to mooring rings , it is enough , more than enough .

I would like if there was a rule about dogs on leads on the towpath, in order that it could be cited to people with out of control dogs. However, I have no issue with well behaved and controlled dogs off the lead on the towpath or anywhere else, on a personal level.

One thing I am always wary of is the fact that not everyone realises that cats sometimes live on boats, and do not plan accordingly for chasing dogs when on the towpath.

I have a sign to put in the window of the towpath side saying "Cats live here. Please be mindful of your dog" with a smiley face on it. I feel that this alerts responsible dog owners to the possibility without sounding combative, or demanding that their dogs be put on a lead.

Obviously people who don't give a flyer or are adamant that Fang just loves cats and won't hurt them if he catches them will be unmoved by this, but I have seen people pause and recall their dogs upon reading it, which is nice.

Dog owners should also be aware that physically catching and harming a smaller animal is not the only risk of a chasing dog- the other animal might get hurt from running away or due to the effect it has on a preexisting health condition.

When other people/dogs approach i always put her on the lead then let her off when they are well enough away.

Its not hard to slip her lead on and off to save any hassle or her being attacked by another dog.

If the other dog approaching is off the lead, then putting yours on the lead makes it more, not less, likely that yours will be attacked, as it immediately alters the status relationship of the dogs. The other dog will become more likely to show dominant behaviour, and yours to become more defensive.

I don't normally have mine on the lead, even when walking busy city streets, but if another dog off a lead shows signs of approaching mine, she will be told to sit and I will ask the other owner to keep theirs away. "He only wants to play" just isn't good enough, if mine doesn't, especially with other people around. In wide open spaces or in the woods near my house, I just let them get on with it.

Short leads at all times , dog no further than two foot from owners two feet then the filthy scum can not pretend the have not seen the dog crapping , Burscough towpath is full of crap and since they put a new 3/4 foot wide hardcore path in the owners now resort to encouraging the dogs to crap in what little grass is left between the path and waters edge /boats , each visit to the boat i now remove the fouling from the grass and after a day out on a little cruise to appley bridge i return to fresh mounds of the filth ,many times on or very close to mooring rings , it is enough , more than enough .

It took thirty posts before the mention of the word 'dog' got the forum distracted by it's perennial favourite subject.....not bad going really.

Edited by The Dog House

I would like if there was a rule about dogs on leads on the towpath, in order that it could be cited to people with out of control dogs. However, I have no issue with well behaved and controlled dogs off the lead on the towpath or anywhere else, on a personal level.

One thing I am always wary of is the fact that not everyone realises that cats sometimes live on boats, and do not plan accordingly for chasing dogs when on the towpath.

I have a sign to put in the window of the towpath side saying "Cats live here. Please be mindful of your dog" with a smiley face on it. I feel that this alerts responsible dog owners to the possibility without sounding combative, or demanding that their dogs be put on a lead.

Obviously people who don't give a flyer or are adamant that Fang just loves cats and won't hurt them if he catches them will be unmoved by this, but I have seen people pause and recall their dogs upon reading it, which is nice.

Dog owners should also be aware that physically catching and harming a smaller animal is not the only risk of a chasing dog- the other animal might get hurt from running away or due to the effect it has on a preexisting health condition.

It might be a turning of events if you're cats turned out to be leopard, I wonder what the inconsiderate owners would think then.

for every bag dog theirs 100 bad owners and i guess the odd bad dog still gets ( let off ) when its bad lost my dog after many years and a couple of quite large vet bills , they neighbours left and left their cat which was starting to get a bit thin and the estate agent, had to be told dont harm the cat it used to live her so i fed it and called it buddy , as i thought it needed one it had never had the time of day for me before ive since found out ive had to change its name to buddette .

quite aggrivating when i reported a deliberate abandond starving cat to the rspca , and unless its mistreated they carnt do anything ???? but leaving it to die cold and hungry is ok ?

this family had young kids they had had a puppy ( dunno were that went ) before getting a kitten , i guess those kids will grow up thinking animals are a kind of toy not a pet that you have responsibility for .

buddettes getting a bit overweight sleeps a lot and wont go walkies personnally i dont think we like each otheir a deal but as long as she dont eat my fish or me hers i guess we can tollerate each otheir ( why does she drink out the fish pond ) ??? her water bowls washed and filled every day

my mate says we should start putting the owners down because its easier to retrain the dog , but then again he says that about bad drivers , people who spit etc , he has quite a long list ,

im sure im on it some were ??

humm that reminds me im only looking after buddette till the vet rehomes her , i think ie been conned , again

Just to bring a bit of balance....

I am surprised by the number of people who stride up to our dog and start stroking him without checking with us first that he is ok with this.

I cannot predict what any dog will do in any given situation so if you approach him and stroke him without warning him then he may object.

If you ask first I will normally say 'He is normally very friendly yes, but you never know...'

I believe that you worked with aircraft. I wouldn't presume to offer advice on the subject.

I worked with animals ---- need I say more.

But the difference is I rarely let my helicopter fly around when a person wasn't in direct control of it. Nor did I let it hover up to you and caress you with its rotor blades, although it was tempted because it is a very friendly helicopter and just wanted to play with you.
  • Greenie 1

I didn't mention my dog's 'selective deafness', I mentioned animals in general. Don't really need your advice thanks.

I'm not offering advice I am offering an opinion.

You mention "animals in general" and I have included your dog (and mine) as "general animals".

I worked with animals ---- need I say more.

Were you a butcher?

I assume all of your 994 posts were animal related then, if you are suggesting that we should only have an opinion about subjects we are familiar with on a professional level?

I too have worked with animals (and still do) but I don't believe that makes my opinion any more valid than any other forum member which is why I didn't feel it worth mentioning.

Ah, so I have to follow all advice given on the forum?

I thought we were having a discussion.

You are not obliged to agree with me but I will respond to any posts you make that I feel worthy of discussion.

nicknorman used the word anthropmorphisation.

Says it all, really.

Hey who the hell do you think you are ? Why would you belittle the love I had for my dog! Keep your flippant comments to yourself, there is no need to make such points. His name was to do with his character and what he brought to our whole family, how dare you disregard the emotion connected to this beautiful faithful dog

• Greenie 1

If the other dog approaching is off the lead, then putting yours on the lead makes it more, not less, likely that yours will be attacked, as it immediately alters the status relationship of the dogs. The other dog will become more likely to show dominant behaviour, and yours to become more defensive.

I don't normally have mine on the lead, even when walking busy city streets, but if another dog off a lead shows signs of approaching mine, she will be told to sit and I will ask the other owner to keep theirs away. "He only wants to play" just isn't good enough, if mine doesn't, especially with other people around. In wide open spaces or in the woods near my house, I just let them get on with it.

There is little we can do about this as our Millie (JRT) is deaf and has been since birth. When out she is never off the lead as we have no recall over her whatsoever. We have taught her a rudimentary sign language but if she is not facing us it is of no use at all.

I trust no ones dog and if an off lead one looks as if it may be coming a bit close I ask the owner to please recall their dog. Often I get "Its OK he/she is quite friendly" I reply with "Yours might be but mine's not", Occasionally I get a lecture on training my dog better. I then ask "Are you any good a training a deaf dog"? I haven't yet had an affirmative answer.

I also ask people not to touch her especially parents with little children. My seem a bit sad for the dog but I would rather have this than have to have her PTS because she bit someone because she (Millie) wasn't aware that was going to be touched.

Edited by Ray T

Personally I think dogs should be on a lead at all times in all public places. This might seem a bit harsh, probably only a small percentage of dogs are a danger/ nuisance to other towpath users.

Many dog owners will talk about the good nature/ good behaviour of their pet, several have on this forum already. I'm not suggesting any of this is wrong but... others using the towpath do not know if the oncoming dog is of good nature or not.

Personally, I love dogs, I'd have one myself, if I could commit properly to it, which would mean stopping my extended holidays abroad. But my experience on the towpath suggests that many dog owners who consider themselves responsible are not so. For example, I'm an angler, what responsible dog owners would allow a dog off its lead with an angler close by? sharp, dangerous hooks etc. Very many do. Sometimes I've had an apology after a dog has jumped playfully at me when I've been fishing (I don't mind at all) but what's the point in apologising then allowing the dog to continue off its lead? It's irresponsible, the apology was not genuine.

Looking at the bigger picture, regulation as regards safety has become much more widespread in recent years. We all know about it at work, it's often used in jokes. A single terrible incident at Soham created rafts of new legislation. But at the same time, the dog licence is suspended. Several high profile deaths from dog attacks each year, nothing is done. This is slightly off subject but personally I think the dog licence should be re-introduced and set at such a level that it makes people think carefully before getting a dog. And obedience classes should be a requirement, or a licence is not issued.

• Greenie 1

I have lots of friends with dogs, in every case passing walkers are told the dog is very friendly. Some of them genuinely are, some of them it's 50/50 whether they'll try to eat your leg or shag it. I think the same blindness any human parent naturally has towards what might be less than perfect personality traits in their children is shared by most dog owners.

One of my friends was partially sighted....and was fine...he got by....until tripped by a dog on one of those long retractable leads.

He hit his head and lost his remaining sight.

I know someone who was killed in a car accident...while we are banning retractable leads (which I think you are implying) let's ban cars too...

I know someone who was killed in a car accident...while we are banning retractable leads (which I think you are implying) let's ban cars too...

You have to take 2 tests before you drive a car, to prove that you understand the rules of the road, and are able to drive the car in a safe way. There are no dog rules and no requirements for any tests, so that comparison isn't great I'm afraid.

You have to take 2 tests before you drive a car, to prove that you understand the rules of the road, and are able to drive the car in a safe way. There are no dog rules and no requirements for any tests, so that comparison isn't great I'm afraid.

Of course its a valid comparison, accidents happen even when people are tested in order to supposedly avoid them...

Millions of years of evolution, biggest brain in the animal kingdom, opposable thumb and an advance technology and we are still plagued by the surrogate children of irresponsible selfish oafs! Once, just once I was in the position with a dog clamped to my ankle where I was able to draw a weapon and drill the little bastard. I am all in favour of a weaponless society but if we were all able all the time when some stinking animal decides to impose it's pack superiority on it to do the same then perhaps problems like this will go away. Until then we all remain liable to sudden assault varying from the "OK he's friendly" animal smearing it's arsewiping equipment over us to attack with a deadly weapon. I utterly agree with Carl on this, I do not want to share your animal and if it's off a lead then you should be damned sure it's not going to forcibly impose it's presence on anyone.

Learn this too, IT'S NOT A CHILD, IT'S AN ANIMAL WITH NO MORE WORTH THAN A RAT!

Heart pills now.

• Greenie 1

Millions of years of evolution, biggest brain in the animal kingdom, opposable thumb and an advance technology and we are still plagued by the surrogate children of irresponsible selfish oafs! Once, just once I was in the position with a dog clamped to my ankle where I was able to draw a weapon and drill the little bastard. I am all in favour of a weaponless society but if we were all able all the time when some stinking animal decides to impose it's pack superiority on it to do the same then perhaps problems like this will go away. Until then we all remain liable to sudden assault varying from the "OK he's friendly" animal smearing it's arsewiping equipment over us to attack with a deadly weapon. I utterly agree with Carl on this, I do not want to share your animal and if it's off a lead then you should be damned sure it's not going to forcibly impose it's presence on anyone.

Learn this too, IT'S NOT A CHILD, IT'S AN ANIMAL WITH NO MORE WORTH THAN A RAT!

Heart pills now.

I guess you're not a dog lover then?

I would hazzard a guess that a guide or other help dog would be more to their owners than your description.

What a sad outlook you have.

Edited by Ray T