Not so old but cannot understand the yoof? HELP THREAD

Ronniesonic

Featured Posts

Hi All- Saw the 'Midlands today' thread today & it's got me thinking. I do not do much gogglebox & modern radio. I am 45. So here's my challenge;

I was brought up watching Midlands Today & still tune in. Always had a soft spot for kay Alexander.

'She's probably a GILF now', my eldest lad informed me. After my embarrasment of asking & finding out what it meant I scuttled off nodding my head.

I was once called a 'DILF' & only found out about that yesterday too. Again more embarrasment with the eldest rolling about laughing his duck off. (I was quietly chuffed though!)

Can anyone on here provide an insight into 'street' terms / language? Especially if you can link it to boaty terms.

Just so us 'not even considered old' people can at least try & understand what the yoof are on about? There are more youngsters on the cut nowadays so want to be able to communicate................

Today I actually feel not young anymore.

Over to Starry & others to start the ball rolling. Sorry Starry to assume but you seem to know your stuff & are very funny with it.........

I do know that 'BAD' actually means 'GOOD', so all is not lost, or is it?

• Greenie 1

Best to stay out of it! Ignorance is bliss and all that. If you try to communicate on their terms you will be wrong, if you don't you will be wrong. I once used the word "dude" at the school where I used to work. This caused a lot of commotion and protest since I was trying to use "their" language. I pointed out that dude was a common word when I was young, and our generation invented it, but that didn't count for anything.

ps at 45 you are ancient; anything over 25 is zimmer frame material in their world.

My advice after being round teenagers quite a lot is don't even begin to try to understand what they are talking about. Most of it you wont be interested in anyway. AND try using their language will only have the effect of making them laugh even more at you plus by the time you have figured it out it will have changed.

Fight them at their own game - use language from your yoof and don't explain it to them. Why well look what they say about me and others older than you

pensioner
An old guy who receives money for just being around a long time.
The pensioner is a useless old man.
If you still want help go here http://www.urbandictionary.com
When they want something make them ask in propa inglish as you don't understand what they are asking. Good luck

"Average"

Used by my lady's 15 year old regularly. Apparently it is used to indicate things that are are boring.

As an aside my lady's 18 year old visited my house recently, saw the model sailing boat in my front room and asked his mother "what is it with old people and boats?"

First time I've been referred to as "old people"

"Average"

Used by my lady's 15 year old regularly. Apparently it is used to indicate things that are are boring.

As an aside my lady's 18 year old visited my house recently, saw the model sailing boat in my front room and asked his mother "what is it with old people and boats?"

First time I've been referred to as "old people"

Ah, that's the common occurrence where anyone under 21 reckon's that anyone over 30 is about to snuff it!

I guess it works both ways though as most youngsters can not understand the way the older generation speaks. Being polite and Having Manners seems to be a dying trait these days.

I'm afraid I will have to disagree there. I worked with samples of 1000 kids from mixed backgrounds over a 17 year period, and their manners overall were at least as good or if not better than when I was a teenager. As usual we tend to notice the poor mannered ones, and the good mannered majority become invisible. I must say than I find some people older than myself to be extremely bad mannered (I am 58 for the record.) I do not believe that youth today are any better or worse than they ever were.

Another way of looking at it; if youth today are "worse," then it is the generation who raised/educated them that is to blame.

Our 15 old uses the term sick for good things and bad things...

I have to double check which she means!

Im only 38...

38 is one foot in the grave to a 15 year old! I was under 30 when one of my kids was watching me paint the gates. She said "Where those gates there when you were young?"

If someone call you a DILF, I'm pretty sure it's not the ability to talk that is required.

biggrin.png

Edited by Guest

just shown eldest the thread. He called me / us 'sad'.

He is going to Australia to work & needs £3k (from us), he owes rent (to us), fell out with his girlfriend (his fault), & wears Lynx deodorant (should be shot at dawn).

I will leave it open to debate but who exactly is 'sad' eh!

And he expects me to get excited over his latest transfer on Fifa 14 or his 'Dubstep' download!

Having never donw a 'double' paper round the lad has not lived..................

Ah, that's the common occurrence where anyone under 21 reckon's that anyone over 30 is about to snuff it!

Im fast approaching 30, and I feel like im about to snuff it! God knows what I'll be like if I make it to 60!

He is going to Australia to work & needs £3k (from us), he owes rent (to us), fell out with his girlfriend (his fault), & wears Lynx deodorant (should be shot at dawn).

And he expects me to get excited over his latest transfer on Fifa 14 or his 'Dubstep' download!

Having never donw a 'double' paper round the lad has not lived..................

Kids are of course a product of their environment, so you are both 'sad'.

As are we, we talk about boats on a forum....

Oooooh Boats! Lovely Boats!

My dad used to say similar about me over 40+ years ago! In those days it was "You'd know about it if you had to climb up the inside of chimney's, lad! You sit around listening to those long haired louts making all that noise on your gramophone; A spell in the army would do you all good, make men of you!"

My grandfather used used to say much the same about my uncles, and so ad infinitum.

Recent visit to hospital out patients and a female yoof receptionist looked at me with one of those "oh bless" looks saved for older people when they do something daft and said "don't worry nursie will be with you soon" B###y nursie!

I wanted to tell I might be 66 but I've not long cycled across Australia and next year it will be USA for the third time. But I didn't instead opting to ogle at her as I felt it my just reward for her being condescending.

All my yoof nieces have been warned about saying "Oh bless" whenever I do something stupid. Unless of course I am missing something and Oh Bless has a totally different meaning.

• Greenie 2

Being towards the top end of my 60s, I was made up last week when not only did I send a selfie to the kids (who'd bought me a new sweater) but when I told them - on Skype - that I was sending it, I had to explain what a selfie was! I then checked with my friends - not one of them knew what I was talking about!! Go me!!! biggrin.png