Not so old but cannot understand the yoof? HELP THREAD

Ronniesonic

Featured Posts

Whilst doing the Four Counties Ring this year, I went shopping to a super market to stock -up, dressed in boots, shorts, polo shirt, carrying a red rucksack. Two of the staff kept me talking whilst a third rang round the homes to see if anyone was missing.

And I'm only 76yrs old.

There was that seminal moment on the towpath last year when I realised how bloody old I was. (66) A local man in his forties cycled past and cheerfully greeted me with "Alright Pop?". I would be 'made up' though, if I heard myself being referred to as a GDILF. I won't hold my breath though and I probably wouldn't be up to it, anyway.

Edited by carpet wallah

My dad used to say similar about me over 40+ years ago! In those days it was "You'd know about it if you had to climb up the inside of chimney's, lad! You sit around listening to those long haired louts making all that noise on your gramophone; A spell in the army would do you all good, make men of you!"

My grandfather used used to say much the same about my uncles, and so ad infinitum.

Is that some sort of zimmer slang?closedeyes.gif

Ha ha I don't know, I have moved around too much. I love how when I moved to a new area, I would pick up odd phrases and terms that tickled me, and try my hardest to work them into conversations, when to the locals, they were just the normal language. Also how in new places, people will give you odd looks and occasionally ask what on earth x-y-z you just said means, when it is a common figure of speech in other areas and doesn't even occur to you.

Case in point, in one area I lived, "do one" meant "take a dump." In Manchester, it meant "let's go"/"fuck off." Very confusing!

Living in America was hilarious for this, more than anywhere else... The "two fingers up" "feck off" sign that we do here, in the USA (at least the parts I was in) means "I would like oral sex..." Which got embarrassingly confusing, because it was one of my go-to gestures for "foxtrot oscar" at that time... similar gesture problem

I was brought up partly in Canada and another gesture misunderstanding came to light to my embarrassment.

The British thumbs up isn't good over there. It means the same as two fingers over here. My father was driving past where I was playing with some friends, stuck his hand out of the car window and gave me a thumbs up. All my mates were bit shocked and I had to explain.

Being towards the top end of my 60s, I was made up last week when not only did I send a selfie to the kids (who'd bought me a new sweater) but when I told them - on Skype - that I was sending it, I had to explain what a selfie was! I then checked with my friends - not one of them knew what I was talking about!! Go me!!! biggrin.png

i wouldnt get to far ahead of myself jo.you cant be all that ''with it'' and super cool when your wearing sweaters.cool.png

Hi Martin

I work with loadsa kiddies nearly all our staff/crew are uni students and they sure keep me young. Try looking up the word " Munter " on the urban dictionary laugh.png

Tim

munter

A woman of such hidious physical apperance that one would rather scour ones eyes out than snatch a glimps of her. So deformed and devoid of any attractive atributes that to beat her to death with her own shoes would be an act of mercy and deemable of a sainthood.

You are what you eat, and munters have eaten all the ugly people they could find!

'jesus carl.. that bird you pulled last night was all the munter in the world. She looked like her body had a reaction to her arse and prollapsed her colon through her neck..'
sweet mother of jesus...............laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Is that some sort of zimmer slang?closedeyes.gif

Most likely :)

On departing, most people around our way say "see you later" which has become "laters" Another one is to say "in a bit."

I often say "see you anon," largely just to wind folk up. That surely is zimmer talk? :) I learned a lot from Eric Thompson on the magic Roundabout. He once described somebody as "A proper caution" which has long been one of my favourites.

However "Who's coat is this jacket?" Has never been uttered other than by English comedians

Where you living to? Is a Swansea ism

What it is is..... Is a Llanelli ism

Or "that cup is my mug"

That's lovely isnit now then boyo

However "Who's coat is this jacket?" Has never been uttered other than by English comedians

Where you living to? Is a Swansea ism

What it is is..... Is a Llanelli ism

:) aww..such sweet memories of my adopted homeland... I love it when folks say 'its lush' and moi still says it now lol and what did confuse me at first was when folk would say to me 'you enjoying' lol moi spent many many happy years living inbetween Llanelli and Swansea and I do so miss home especially LLanelli I just love that town happy 'turks' :)

you would likely get a Glasgow kiss calling a female boyo in Swansea.ohmy.png

lol especially on Wind Street at the weekend lol ;)