The Oxford canal - middle section

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

There are only three manual lift bridges in the Oxford area.

Two before Duke's cut and ane about 1/2 mile after.

There's an electric one at Thrupp requiring a key and can be operated fro either side of the canal.

ALL of the others are now invariably up as they are really only used at harvest time.

Although the canal is shallow navigating should not be a problem, IF:-

• You don't blast along - especially on the summit pound,
  • keep to the centre of the channel (that's not the same as the centre of the cut)

Although the trains run alongside mostly until Fenny, ,there are many places to moor where the trains are some distance away from the canal, or are behind a hill. Look at an O/S map. The passenger trains are not a problem. It's the long container trains towed by ancient diesel units.

There are only three manual lift bridges in the Oxford area.

Two before Duke's cut and ane about 1/2 mile after.

There's an electric one at Thrupp requiring a key and can be operated fro either side of the canal.

ALL of the others are now invariably up as they are really only used at harvest time.

Although the canal is shallow navigating should not be a problem, IF:-

• You don't blast along - especially on the summit pound,
  • keep to the centre of the channel (that's not the same as the centre of the cut)

Although the trains run alongside mostly until Fenny, ,there are many places to moor where the trains are some distance away from the canal, or are behind a hill. Look at an O/S map. The passenger trains are not a problem. It's the long container trains towed by ancient diesel units.

Thanks for that. I tihnk I know what you mean by "channel".

We are used to trains in the night at Hillmorton with two main lines side by side passing us.

Oh and as for the heating circuit problem, this might be interesting/helpful to someone - you know the phrase "if it aint broke........", Well I closed down gate valves either side of the 12v (Bolin) pump to remove it for cleaning and checking after being off all summer.

I put it back and opened the gate valves, switched on the pump and its quiet wirring sounded OK. Lit the Kabola heater (after stripping down and decoking) and realised the hot water was not circulating. This morning I went to remove the pump again and realised the wirring note did not change as I opened and closed the gate valves - Brainwave - is the impeller in the pump trying to move fresh air trapped when I refitted the pump full of air? Answer was to open the gate valves either side of the pump and undo the pipe connection to one of them. I actually heard the air release before a drip of water started. Sorted.

One bonus was that I when I thought I was going to need a new pump, I went on eBay and, low and behold, there was one for auction with a £50 starting price. I bid that and was amazed that absolutely noone else bid against me. I assume that was because it was for collection only and it was not at all clear where the seller lived. Seller told me he paid £250 for it to that nice chap at Streethay a few months before. So I am now the happy owner of two fully working Bolin pumps to accompany us on our cruise.

We moored last night by Aristotle bridge in Oxford, only just squesed in but when we left this morning at 1030 there was room for another couple of boats. loads of space at Thupp. Loads of space on the Thames, nothing above Kings Lock or below Eynsham Lock. Out of Isis and clear all the way up to the Marina at Port Meadow. Signs everywhere pointing out its limited time mooring.

The Answer was to open the gate valves either side of the pump and undo the pipe connection to one of them. I actually heard the air release before a drip of water started.

For next time, it's worth knowing that there's actually an air-bleed screw on the body of a Bolin pump. No need to disturb pipe connections.

MP.

For next time, it's worth knowing that there's actually an air-bleed screw on the body of a Bolin pump. No need to disturb pipe connections.

MP.

I wondered what that screw was for but having never taken one apart before, I didn't dare touch it. I have to say it never occurred to me that it was a bleed screw so thank you.

All seems to be working now.

I want a dragon. mad.gif

Somewhere, North of Cropredy, South of Marston Doles is the land of Dragons

It's not called WormLeighton Hill for nothing, you know

Richard

Edited by RLWP

• 1 month later...

Well we made it to Oxford and back to Hillmorton. I have to say that it was a bit of a struggle getting to Oxford and as we arrived, looking out for a place to moor, the thought did cross my mind that it was not an experience we would repeat. A local boater warned us off the first Visitor Mooring we tried as apparently the houses opposite don't like boats that make smoke or noise. We went on to moor opposite the hireboat yard beside the railway sidings. We soon got used to the trains and had some very pleasant boaters either side. Then we walked into Oxford and loved it. Stayed for a week (with CRT permission because of the closure till 15thNov) and lived on wonderful food from the many real butchers to be found in the permanent covered market. I do hope the City Council rebuild the canal basin soon (currently a car park).

Returning was a bit easier. The weather was great with no sign of the arctic freeze the weather people were triumphantly announcing. The nice CRT people had replaced lock gates during the closure and being low on coal, water and diesel, the summit was not the problem it had been (wouldn't like to try it without the rain we had previously because it needs a damn good dredge).

The old National engine hand-started easily every day and kept plonking away no matter what we demanded of it.

We had food in only one pub on the way and one on the way back and the experience (one great at The Boat Inn Thrupp and one disappointing at Lower Heyford) was exactly as described in another thread.

The one over-riding annoying experience was with lift bridges. Lift bridges that are down when there was no reason why they should not be left up and which are neither designed nor balalnced for the height and weight of the average women. Lift bridges with absolutely no thought given to where we were meant to get anywhere near the edge to moor and get off the boat to go swing on an invariably broken or just-out-of-reach chain. But more especially annoying was everwhere that a tiny length of piled mooring is provided, the boaters who delight in permanently mooring in that only available space. I shall post some pictures with a quiz to ask how would you open the bridge.

One question in advance to which I never figured out te answer:- Why do some lift bridges that are locked in the down position only open with a boaters key (which means the boater is inconvenience every time whilst the pedestrian is not) and why not have it without a lock so that pedestrian users lower the bridge when they need it and boaters raise it when they do not. It is possibly understandable in the days of clearly defined middle class pedestrians and working class boaters but have you seen some of the shiny boat out there today?!!

Well we made it to Oxford and back to Hillmorton. I have to say that it was a bit of a struggle getting to Oxford and as we arrived, looking out for a place to moor, the thought did cross my mind that it was not an experience we would repeat. A local boater warned us off the first Visitor Mooring we tried as apparently the houses opposite don't like boats that make smoke or noise. We went on to moor opposite the hireboat yard beside the railway sidings. We soon got used to the trains and had some very pleasant boaters either side. Then we walked into Oxford and loved it. Stayed for a week (with CRT permission because of the closure till 15thNov) and lived on wonderful food from the many real butchers to be found in the permanent covered market. I do hope the City Council rebuild the canal basin soon (currently a car park).

Returning was a bit easier. The weather was great with no sign of the arctic freeze the weather people were triumphantly announcing. The nice CRT people had replaced lock gates during the closure and being low on coal, water and diesel, the summit was not the problem it had been (wouldn't like to try it without the rain we had previously because it needs a damn good dredge).

The old National engine hand-started easily every day and kept plonking away no matter what we demanded of it.

We had food in only one pub on the way and one on the way back and the experience (one great at The Boat Inn Thrupp and one disappointing at Lower Heyford) was exactly as described in another thread.

The one over-riding annoying experience was with lift bridges. Lift bridges that are down when there was no reason why they should not be left up and which are neither designed nor balalnced for the height and weight of the average women. Lift bridges with absolutely no thought given to where we were meant to get anywhere near the edge to moor and get off the boat to go swing on an invariably broken or just-out-of-reach chain. But more especially annoying was everwhere that a tiny length of piled mooring is provided, the boaters who delight in permanently mooring in that only available space. I shall post some pictures with a quiz to ask how would you open the bridge.

One question in advance to which I never figured out te answer:- Why do some lift bridges that are locked in the down position only open with a boaters key (which means the boater is inconvenience every time whilst the pedestrian is not) and why not have it without a lock so that pedestrian users lower the bridge when they need it and boaters raise it when they do not. It is possibly understandable in the days of clearly defined middle class pedestrians and working class boaters but have you seen some of the shiny boat out there today?!!

Every bridge that is down (I think there are six) has adequate space for allowing a boater to let crew off on the tow path side. If people are moored there then ask them to move or if it is your want bounce off their side to make it uncomfortable. You could always call CRT to let them know there is a problem as you should do with regards to the chains.

Shipton bridge is occasionally down because the balance is light and the mud from cows hooves hold the balance, but it is easy to lift fron the towpath side. The locked down bridges are locked down simply because it is difficult to hold a bridge down whilst driving a vehicle over it. In the past when bridges were weighted down and held up with a stick through the chain Farmers would often be stuck on the wrong side of the bridge hence the locks. There is a reason for everything.

Single handing these bridges is easy enough except with a covering of snow!

Every bridge that is down (I think there are six) has adequate space for allowing a boater to let crew off on the tow path side.

MY POINT IS THAT - NO THEY DO NOT

If people are moored there then ask them to move or if it is your want bounce off their side to make it uncomfortable.

TWO OUT OF THREE HAD NO PEOPLE IN / WITH THEM

You could always call CRT to let them know there is a problem as you should do with regards to the chains.

YES BUT IT DOES NOT HELP OUR PROBLEM AT THE TIME

Shipton bridge is occasionally down because the balance is light and the mud from cows hooves hold the balance, but it is easy to lift fron the towpath side.

IF WE HAD FOUND IT EASY THEN I WOUL DNOT HAVE MENTIONED IT

The locked down bridges are locked down simply because it is difficult to hold a bridge down whilst driving a vehicle over it.

NOT AS DIFFICULT AS HOLDING A BRIDGE UP WHILST DRIVING A BOAT UNDER IT

Single handing these bridges is easy enough except with a covering of snow!

AND MUD FROM CONTACTORS DUMPER TRUCKS