Knights Narrowboats Middlewich...any knowledge?

Shockabilly

Featured Posts

Dear Canalworld folk...I'm looking to buy a new boat and have seen a very nice one in Middlewich Cheshire built by Knights Narrowboats, has anyone any knowledge of this boatbuilder...the boat looks splendid, but hey, what do I know!

Advert

http://sealine.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=329161

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about the builders.

I think you will find the access in and out of the bow doors a bit of a pain if I'm honest.

329161_1.jpg?1382298101

Given you will have to climb on the bed to use those front doors (or thats how it looks to me)

178391.jpg?1382298188

They full fill the requirement to have an exit at/towards the bow but not ideal for every day use at all.

Edited by The Dog House

The Dog House...thanks for this & I thought that was the first drawback, although I dont mind a bit of bed bouncing! I've been looking around for a while and my head is starting to spin, I haven't seen the boat in person but was wondering if any knowledgeable boater out there had heard of Knights at all...it certainly looks nice from a newbie's vantage point! (apart from the double bed)

The Dog House...thanks for this & I thought that was the first drawback, although I dont mind a bit of bed bouncing! I've been looking around for a while and my head is starting to spin, I haven't seen the boat in person but was wondering if any knowledgeable boater out there had heard of Knights at all...it certainly looks nice from a newbie's vantage point! (apart from the double bed)

It's your call but I'm pretty sure I would find that arrangement a real PITA in a very short space of time. They have done it to maximise the internal cabin space but badly affected the usability/practicality of the boat, it's an arrangement that's rarely seen on boats and when it is it's normally dome like this.-

slide052.jpg

With the doors at the side - still not ideal either but at least you don't have to clamber over the bed to get out of the boat at the front.

I have no knowledge of them but it looks like it is only their second boat, the number 2 on the side gives a clue.

Not a layout I would choose, only one way in and out with ease.

Bed only 4' wide.

Welcome to the forum smile.png

Apart from the bed any other advice? Also I'm considering this one as well http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=236253

That is a completely different boat in that it has a cruiser stern rather than a trad stern which the first one has.

you'd probably be better deciding on which type and style you want and then look for a boat with the type you prefer.

Have a read of this on Rugby boats web site. Click on narrowboat styles.

Edited by The Dog House

Thanks one & all...everyone I look at I quite like...basically its been narrowed down (by Mrs Shockabilly) that it needs to be very light (white panelling) inside!

Find the layout you want and buy a pot of white paint. wink.png

Seriously you need to sit down and work out what you want in the boat and what you are going to use it for, weekends, holidays, live aboard.

Make a list, draw a layout on a piece of paper, visit many boats for sale.

Then throw all that away and buy the one you fall in love with but do not forget to get it surveyed before parting with the readies.

Looks to me that you are being taken in by interior 'flash' and not the quality of the hull etc. As has been said look at Dominic's site and take the advice on here. Visit as many boats as you can and take a look at some well known builders who have been around for a while not some newcommers after a fast buck who clearly don't know what they are doing. Or don't take any advice and follow your nose and sell up at a huge loss in a few months, its your money ....... but you wont have it long if you buy either of those. Has it got to be new? as there are some right good deals to be had at this time of year and with nearly new boats. Best of luck

it's an arrangement that's rarely seen on boats and when it is it's normally done like this.-

slide052.jpg

With the doors at the side - still not ideal either but at least you don't have to clamber over the bed to get out of the boat at the front.

...or, frequently on boats with raised "tug" foredecks, with a sliding hatch above the small front doors, to make access and egress easier for non-PORGs.

Those side doors look fine, but are a safety hazard. Were there an emergency in an empty lock, and you couldn't reach the back doors, how would you get out?

..or, frequently on boats with raised "tug" foredecks, with a sliding hatch above the small front doors, to make access and egress easier for non-PORGs.

Those side doors look fine, but are a safety hazard. Were there an emergency in an empty lock, and you couldn't reach the back doors, how would you get out?

Indeed as I said far from ideal. It's not an arrangement I would choose personally due to the risks you mention, but better than having to clamber over the bed, and then struggle through a little hatch.

We once hired a boat that had a large double bed in the front cabin but managed to retain sufficient space to get along side it to a conventional door placed to one side but in the front cabin wall which exited into a 'conventional' front cockpit, much better than either of the above if you really do want to have a bed in the fore cabin.

IMG_0090.jpg

Access along side the bed was tight but sufficient.

I like the use of the term "Josher bow" I must admit not seen many like that shape floating around...........

It is a particularly fine abuse of that much overused term, isn't it!

236253_3.jpg?1382353651

Not ideal, but I bet that the fact there is a roof hatch, and the doors would open at least as far as the lock walls means you would be able to step up, and climb onto the roor, provided reasonably mobile.

You can also provide one of these which turns a front window into a last ditch emergency exit. (I have actually seen narrowboats so equipped...)

ProductImages%5CFullImage%5CGlassbreaker

Well spotted - I had not noticed the roof hatch, which would indeed enhance the boat's safety.

I used to like the look of those Canaltime boats (especially when they were not in motion) which had similar side doors, but I don't think that they had the hatch above the doors.

Dear Canalworld folk...I'm looking to buy a new boat and have seen a very nice one in Middlewich Cheshire built by Knights Narrowboats, has anyone any knowledge of this boatbuilder...the boat looks splendid, but hey, what do I know!

Advert

http://sealine.apolloduck.com/feature.phtml?id=329161

Hi

The problem with this type of boat is in the resale value. although it may suit you there is a very small market for narrowboats that do not have front opening doors this is not just my thoughts simply go to any marina with hundreds of boats and walk along and see for yourself how many have front opening door/ doors. Gas free boats fall into the same category with very very few peeps at all interested in them. Do your home work and ask why most people have solid fuel stoves, gas cooking and front doors. Do a poll if you wish and prove it to yourself. If you realy do want your bed stuck at the front so you cannot open up your front doors on a pleasant evening and enjoy the view then go for it but remember you will very likely want to sell it some day.

There may be opposing views to mine but they are a tiny minority whatever they say.

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

The question was what do we know about the builder not what can we glean from the photo. There used to ba a Glenn Knight that used to own a working boat called Hadley Rail but tat was back before 1986 so probaly not the same guy.

The question was what do we know about the builder not what can we glean from the photo. There used to ba a Glenn Knight that used to own a working boat called Hadley Rail but tat was back before 1986 so probaly not the same guy.

The question was from an admitted newbie who clearly knows nothing about narrow-boats and people are trying to advise him how to avoid making a possibly very bad boat choice and an expensive mistake.

It's what happens in a discussion forum.

The Jim Shead boat list doesn't seem to list a single boat built by "Knights Narrowboats"

So unless "Knights Narrowboats" / "Glenn Night" have previously built or fitted boats under a different name, I don't think you will find a lot of people who know much about them.

• 10 years later...
21 minutes ago, LouLou777 said:

I know this is an old thread but I have just ordered a new boat from Knights Narrowboats after visiting multiple boat builders and doing plenty of research and their build quality is outstanding! Highly recommend a visit if considering a new build.

Look forward to seeing it. Got a rough delivery date?  

3 hours ago, LouLou777 said:

I know this is an old thread but I have just ordered a new boat from Knights Narrowboats after visiting multiple boat builders and doing plenty of research and their build quality is outstanding! Highly recommend a visit if considering a new build.

LouLou, You might well be an enthusiastic newbie that wants to sing the praises of the company that is going to build your new boat.

But I fear that the forum cynics may question the motivation of a new poster who joins the forum and immediately posts what could look like advertising.

8 minutes ago, haggis said:

Interesting. A search of Companies house show that Knights Narrowboats limited was dissolved in 2020.

They have been a 'Dormant' company since 2016.

Hopefully LouLou hasn't handed over any money in deposits or stage payments, or, I wonder if LouLou IS Knights narrowboats and trying to give them a plug ?

Only one Director is listed :

1 officer / 0 resignations

KNIGHT, David Glenn

Correspondence address
4 Ribble Close, Newcastle, Staffordshire, England, ST5 4BG
Role
Director
Date of birth
March 1979
Appointed on
6 October 2014
Nationality