Sod anyone else

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Odd. When I grumbled on here about some prat moored next to me who started running his engine at 11.45pm I got snarled at for being a whinger. I noticed this year that the 8pm shutdown appears to now be 9pm at the earliest. I presume it's because more and more boats have so much electric gadgetry that they can't function without it. My own feeling is that if you want to live in a house, go and buy one and leave the rest of us in peace...

But surely if you live on a generator is a must, how else would you do washing, ironing and other essential jobs.

Darren

But surely if you live on a generator is a must, how else would you do washing, ironing and other essential jobs.

Darren

You do em between 8am and 8pm. if your lifestyle does not allow you to do that then you need to live in house thingy.

Tim

• Greenie 2

You do em between 8am and 8pm. if your lifestyle does not allow you to do that then you need to live in house thingy.

Tim

Yes I understand that and I do, do that. What I was referring to was a few people saying why people needed generators on a boat in the first place. Plus I've lived on a boat long enough now to now what's right and what's wrong.

Darren

I remember you saying yesterday that you'd be in the MK area - where was this plonker?

Hmmm - there was a boat moored opposite me for a week or so that used to run the engine from the crack of dawn until late at night. I wonder if it's the same one? Must be costing a fortune in diesel (and I saw them fill the tank with white not red from a large jerrycan).

Yes I understand that and I do, do that. What I was referring to was a few people saying why people needed generators on a boat in the first place. Plus I've lived on a boat long enough now to now what's right and what's wrong.

Darren

Hi Darren

I agree some form of mains leccy is needed as a liveaboard, launderets are simply a no go in this day and age. I think its a total pain when peeps disregard the 8 till 8 rule. Of course many many posters on this forum are not liveaboards so have no idea what is entailed with living aboard long term........I found the first twenty years the hardest, its getting easier now.

One problem is that when I moved aboard 99 percent of people lived on boats because they wanted to, now many people live aboard as a supposed cheaper lifestyle and dont realy care about boating or time constraints.

Tim

I remember you saying yesterday that you'd be in the MK area - where was this plonker?

Moored on the visitor moorings at Great Linford ( first time I have ever found a space park side) there are a couple on the opposite side back towards the bridge around 30M as it was dark I can't be certain which one. Went off around 130. It's such a lovely spot that we have decided to use the 48 hrs and stay another day. There's a few CC boats along that stretch down towards the winding hole I would have thought they would self police so to speak.

Quite agree

It is from this experience that I insisted that our own water cooled generator was modified to incorporate a keel cooling facility together with my own sourced hospital silencer. People should consider other boaters and nearby houses if moored in urban areas.

We did this and also can take heating and hot water from this when in use if required. But this is a relatively expensive option and I appreciate this is not really an option for many people.

Hmmm - there was a boat moored opposite me for a week or so that used to run the engine from the crack of dawn until late at night. I wonder if it's the same one? Must be costing a fortune in diesel (and I saw them fill the tank with white not red from a large jerrycan).

Doesn't mean they bought it though

Throw bread all over his roof. The birds and ducks will be up there at crack of dawn...scratching about and cr**ing.

It works really well with plastic boats !

Wet the bread thoroughly first, makes it glue to the roof then the little birdies have to really fight to get it off.

The rules are quite simple re. gennies: don't use them between 8pm and 8 am if within earshot of anybody else. (people often forget about the "within earshot" bit.)

Edited by Guest

Don't let this get into the liveaboard v the rest of us rant... I met one lot on a hireboat who, when I asked them if they might turn their engine off sometime (it had been running most of the day) said they'd been told by the company they should run the engine for at least eight hours a day.

I don't think it's down to necessity either, it's just that there are more people on the canal and therefore more people who don't give a toss about anyone else. And as for those plonkers who stick a ghetto blaster on the roof so they can listen to horrible music *(or even nice music for that matter) at a volume they can hear over their engine... don;t get me started... oh you have. Damn.

And I speak as a trombone player...

Such an obvious disregard for others in any form of noise pollution is terrible,it wouldn't be SO bad if they had at least acknowledged the fact they where bending the rules with any of the near by boats, askin if what they were doing is obtrusive to them.' if so let me know" surely a basic courtesy.

We have got a water cooled gennie,& although you can't really hear it running,I do know what is ment by the sloshing noise.,(burns about .80 of a ltr/hr,giving approx 2800watts,so wouldn't want to run it all eve/night anyway).

It's interesting to note what upsets some people though.I had smoke & small embers covering my cratch cover & permeating the boat from two late arivel (20:45)canal boats,obviously traveling together,deciding to Moore abreast,infront of me,one evening,with log burning stoves still going well an hour or so later,I decided to knock on there sides to ask what where ther burning,& could they use something els,,then the fun started !.

With comments like 'can't control the wind direction' ect.

Then it just got all a bit silly.

A typical example of total disregard,lack of basic common courtesy & total ignorance of ones actions.

I wish there was some sort of 'Name & Shame' site

" Of course many many posters on this forum are not liveaboards "

Is that true? perhaps we should have a poll to get an idea what pecentage live aboard, at least for part of the year?

David

Hi David

You cannot be a liveaboard for part of the year. You either live aboard or you dont. Just having a few months on board during the summer months is just a break or holiday. For many years when we lived aboard we owned houses in cornwall and used them for time off and holidays but our main residence was always the boat as it still is, the only thing that changed is that eventualy we binned the house having no longer a need for one

Tim

It's these little portable petrol generators that are most problematic due to their lack of silencing, especially when used in built up areas. I've been idly wondering how difficult it would be for the owners to build a cocoon to reduce the noise they make. Not sure whether it would be possible while allowing heat to dissipate.

We are very fortunate to have a very quiet, keel cooled diesel generator in our engine room that can barely be heard outside the boat. We mostly keep to the 8am to 8pm guidelines but do sometimes run it out of hours (but not too late) if we've been away from the boat for a time and our batteries have dropped too low. Now that we have the solar panels up our batteries should be kept topped up better and the growth in use of solar on boats in general should hopefully go some way to mitigating generator usage.

Tea lights, the glow from the stove, kettle on top. What ells could you need until morning?

And as for disturbances; A friendly "Hello! Late home from work tonight?" should sort it. If not, a smartphone is a great tool to take angry notes. To chuckle at after breakfast.

Life's to short.

• Greenie 1

Tim,

"so have no idea what is entailed with living aboard long term"

fair enough, not a true liveaboard, but if I am on the boat for 9 months, without a home mooring without a shoreline, I do have a fair idea of whats involved.

And I never run engines after 8pm unless moving along, if the batteries are struggling, the TV and laptop etc have to wait for another day.

cheers, David

Tea lights, the glow from the stove, kettle on top. What ells could you need until morning?

And as for disturbances; A friendly "Hello! Late home from work tonight?" should sort it. If not, a smartphone is a great tool to take angry notes. To chuckle at after breakfast.

Life's to short.

We don't all live in little red riding hood cottage.

Darren

Throw bread all over his roof. The birds and ducks will be up there at crack of dawn...scratching about and cr**ing.

It works really well with plastic boats !

this is tried and tested and has worked well for over 50 years so I have heard. icecream.gif

Hi Pelicanafloat

& 'People Whistling' & a whistling dogwalker,carrying a suitcase gennie .

Hi Mike T

Don't know why I should be on it,,we hardly ever Moore near other boats,incase our anchors tangle !.

Hi FUDD

Try whole meal,it might maks an abrasive paste when re- deposited..

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2