Loops in Birmingham

dmr

Featured Posts

We are still here after the floating market so are getting into overstaying territory.

I figured that if we did a little trip and turned around we could then have another legitimate night in Birmingham so we went round the Winson Green and Icknield Port loops. To my surprise these are both wonderful. Anyone who is interested in urban canals, canal architecture or interesting boats really should give them a try. Have a camera ready in the Icknield Port loop when passing the BW yard!.

..............Dave

Enjoy Icknield Loop while you still can.

Redevelopment plans have been published

sad.pngmad.gifsad.png

I guess it depends on what the plans are. If it is for sympathetic developoment leaving the canal intact it may not be a bad thing.

It certainly is a nice detour from the mainline.

Yes, we went around Icknield Port this year, and I was surprised what lurks down there.

Not the best photos, maybe, but certainly a taster in this blog post.

Evocative photos Alan, thanks for the link. Fascinating array of scenes and boats.

Fascinating array of spellings of Icknield too! tongue.png

Don't worry, BCC don't seem clear on the correct spelling. I'm still waiting for reply from the relevant person about my concerns with this development.

And yes, all three loops are nice (don't forget little Oozels Street Loop).

Don't worry, BCC don't seem clear on the correct spelling. I'm still waiting for reply from the relevant person about my concerns with this development.

And yes, all three loops are nice (don't forget little Oozels Street Loop).

Do you have a link to any planning details?

There is some info about the plans here.

I agree that it will be a shame to see a part of the BCN that gives an glimpse of what it used to be like get developed, but the "island" has been a cleared brown field site for a very long time, so it would be good to see it put to use.

And to the OP, an observation test; how many chimneys on the blacksmiths shop at the CRT yard?

Edited by john6767

We are still here after the floating market so are getting into overstaying territory.

I figured that if we did a little trip and turned around we could then have another legitimate night in Birmingham so we went round the Winson Green and Icknield Port loops. To my surprise these are both wonderful. Anyone who is interested in urban canals, canal architecture or interesting boats really should give them a try. Have a camera ready in the Icknield Port loop when passing the BW yard!.

..............Dave

I was entranced when we did the Icknield in 2010. I felt that it was going back in time to when the canals were not so tarted up.

N

A quick scan though revealed this:

5.2 The water level at the Reservoir can, at times, be low in order to supply

the canal network during periods of high demand / dry weather. This has a

detrimental effect on amenity. The major problem relates to the imbalance between

water inflow and draw-off, exacerbated by the shallow profile of the reservoir

bed, which creates a disproportionately large retreat of shoreline in relation to a

small draw-off. The stabilisation of the water level is recognised as being essential

to the enhancement of the Reservoir in all its aspects. Ways of reducing the draw

off of water from the Reservoir, providing alternative water supplies and/or

altering the profile of the reservoir bed (in consultation with British Waterways)

to maintain water levels at a higher and more sustainable level will be explored.

I hope that doesn't mean that CRT will agree to restricting the use of water from the reservoir. This could have an adverse effect on novigation.

N

I agree that it will be a shame to see a part of the BCN that gives an glimpse of what it used to be like get developed, but the "island" has been a cleared brown field site for a very long time, so it would be good to see it put to use.

And to the OP, an observation test; how many chimneys on the blacksmiths shop at the CRT yard?

The CRT yard and moored boats came as a real surprise, there was a lot to look at. I was so taken by the very unusual arched windows on the CRT building that I clean forgot to count the chimneys!. Also moored opposite were a couple of old boats that almost reminded me of the early crusty/hippy boats that I remember from my teenage days when I lived in Bums and walked the canals.

Gillie took lots of photos but won't look at them for a while, there is a backlog of over 1000 from this years trip and its not over yet.

I have downloaded the redevelopment document, it says encouraging things but I can't see any mention of the CRT yard.

............Dave

............Dave.

I'll be taking Swift, one of the CRT Heritage Working Boats, out from the CRT yard tomorrow on the Icknield Loop for a trip in to Cambrian Wharf and probably down to the Mailbox. The Icknield Loop with no towpath is better tgan the Soho Loop which last time I went around there had a fisherman every few yards.

Thanks. I will read up. At first glance it looks to be sympathetic to the historical elements and preserves the loop but it needs more study.

judge.gif

BCN Challenge question warning!

judge.gif

smile.png

My point about the redevelopment was that it looks like it will be another Oozells Loop.

Meaning another 4, 5 or 6 storey flat, sorry luxury apartment, development on both sides of the canal with the cut at the bottom of what will have become a windswept canyon.

Bu99er the towpath. I prefer the loop it is!

Alas I never knew Oozells Loop before it was 'redeveloped'

Luddite? Moi??

(Actually I think the Luddites have been given a hard time by history but thats a whole different thread.)

SAM, back from the pub, Ryde.

I was entranced when we did the Icknield in 2010. I felt that it was going back in time to when the canals were not so tarted up.

N

40 years ago all of the BCN was much less tarted up than the loops mentioned. But I suspect most boaters today would probably not have appreciated the joys (and inconveniences) that went with the historical ambience.

A 20 mile journey could take 6 hours, 1 day, 2 days or 2 weeks. And there were no facilities worth mentioning ......... apart from some great pubs clapping.gif

40 years ago all of the BCN was much less tarted up than the loops mentioned. But I suspect most boaters today would probably not have appreciated the joys (and inconveniences) that went with the historical ambience.

A 20 mile journey could take 6 hours, 1 day, 2 days or 2 weeks. And there were no facilities worth mentioning ......... apart from some great pubs clapping.gif

All true it is possible to look at those days with rose tinted spectacles and forget the bad bits.

Having said that I remember those days with real fondness we had great fun and very mile was a new scnene and a adventure not least an achievement.

Those plans are somewhat out of date. I have a factory that backs onto the loop and we regularly get updated plans sent through, luckily the factory remains and we have not been subject to any compulsory purchase schemes. I can't find a link to the latest plans at the mo, but here is one of the more recent consultation sites http://icknieldportloop.wordpress.com/ it shows a number of changes to the plans on Johns link.