Foxton

hughc

Featured Posts

CART tell me that one clear lock must be left between boats on the Foxton and Watford flights 'for safety reasons.' Having used Foxton for more years than I care to remember I can't recollect this as a rule. Can anyone enlighten me as to when and by whom this dictat was introduced? Regards, HughC.

The way I understood it when the lockies told us was that you had to leave the boat ahead of you clear the lock before you started emptying/filling - which could be interpretted as a lock between the boats as once you have that gap then it will tend to stay as a gap ,,,, unless I misunderstood of course

CART tell me that one clear lock must be left between boats on the Foxton and Watford flights 'for safety reasons.' Having used Foxton for more years than I care to remember I can't recollect this as a rule. Can anyone enlighten me as to when and by whom this dictat was introduced? Regards, HughC.

I think that is reasonable practice. It does guard against a novice crew operating the lock incorrectly and water cascading into the next lock potentially onto the rear of the next boat. I had this happen to use with a hire boat crew behind us who seemed to be confused about the lock operation. It was OK as we are a 50ft boat and I could move forward out of the way of the water cascade but a longer boat it could have problems. It also meant the lock was flooding as we were trying to empty it.

I think that is reasonable practice. It does guard against a novice crew operating the lock incorrectly and water cascading into the next lock potentially onto the rear of the next boat. I had this happen to use with a hire boat crew behind us who seemed to be confused about the lock operation. It was OK as we are a 50ft boat and I could move forward out of the way of the water cascade but a longer boat it could have problems. It also meant the lock was flooding as we were trying to empty it.

Can that really happen? I thought the locks emptied 'sideways' and not into the one below.

Actually thinking about it, if someone was in the chamber above you and they opened their red paddle as you opened your white, you would end up trying to empty and fill the same chamber :)

I believe its due to the leaky gates. We had a scary moment going down Watford locks when the boat following us filled the lock behind and caused water to cascade over the back of the boat and straight thorough the open slide (back doors were shut) and we ended up with several inches of water in the back cabin bilge not to mention the soaking the back cabin got. We were told that it's only full length boats it applies to but that may have changed. It was definitely water coming through\around the gates not over the top.

Tom

When I came down through Watford earlier in the year the lock keeper said he would keep the next boat back one lock as the water woukd cascade over and through the gates and being in a full length boat the steerer certainly would have had a shower and I expect the back cabin would have been flooded.

It was definitely worse a couple of weeks ago than when we went through earlier on in the year. Foxton seems worse too but not as bad as Watford. Hopefully they'll do something about it in this winters stoppages.

I was told today that Foxton will be getting two new lock gates this winter.

Ian

The lockies do this at Watford if the boat is 70foot because the water leaking through the gate above is liable to swamp the boat below.

It was definitely worse a couple of weeks ago than when we went through earlier on in the year. Foxton seems worse too but not as bad as Watford. Hopefully they'll do something about it in this winters stoppages.

The did a lot of work at Watford to try and fix it at the last stoppage.

We had this happen at the Chester staircase.

The amount of water coming over the middle chamber rear (top) gates was incredible. F**cking scary is better description as the paddles were pulled above us sending down the cascade. Being 62 foot I nudged forward but a 70 footer may well have sunk. The water fall effect actually pulled me backwards a little - countered by more revs.

Edited by mark99

• 1 month later...

Open this weekend to see the work their doing on the gates. As all are drained can see the empty ponds as well. We enjoyed our day there today and the museum was free entry.

I would love to see some pictures of this. I cannot get to the locks to see them but if anyone has any pics anywhere, I for one, would be interested

I would love to see some pictures of this. I cannot get to the locks to see them but if anyone has any pics anywhere, I for one, would be interested

There was a short item about the work at Foxton yesterday on BBC East Midlands Today, it doesn't appear to be available on iplayer though.

Kwacker, thank you for the pics, they are very good.

My pleasure ... Foxton never fails to impress me, no matter how many times I visit, and it is a lot.

Just to add, the gentleman pictured in the top hat is Mike Beech, curator of the Museum, a very knowledgeable chap indeed if you want to know anything about the locks or the boat lift.