What can I get for 10k

GlenBlk

Featured Posts

I'd suggest you find a boat you like the look of and invest in the cost of a hull survey, using the results to work out an equitable price. The surveyor will have a good idea of what any particular boat is worth. That's what I did....

The value of a well plated 35 foot Springer seems to be about £10K to £11K, depending on the interior condition. If she needs plating, it's also possible she'll need rebottoming, which is rather more expensive. If you look at the ads on Apolloduck or auctions on eBay, you'll get a good idea of what's selling and for how much.

Bye!

John.

Here's one for £9.900, don't know what issues it might have but it looks to be afloat in the photo.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=326432

I've seen this one from the outside and had a nosy through the windows - looks to be basically a floating project with a bit of a kitchen & a woodburner; lots and lots and lots of work needed inside plus maybe replacement windows but according to the advert seems otherwise worth a look. Might be tempted myself...

Edited by joflet

I'd suggest you find a boat you like the look of and invest in the cost of a hull survey, using the results to work out an equitable price. The surveyor will have a good idea of what any particular boat is worth. That's what I did....

The value of a well plated 35 foot Springer seems to be about £10K to £11K, depending on the interior condition. If she needs plating, it's also possible she'll need rebottoming, which is rather more expensive. If you look at the ads on Apolloduck or auctions on eBay, you'll get a good idea of what's selling and for how much.

Bye!

John.

Now, I'm not an expert on Springers, however I would expect a plated one to have had the vee bottom and sides done.

Richard

Thanks for the help so far.

What do people think of this boat http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/boat/filterBoats/price/0-20000 2nd one down called Wellington?

Perhaps spending a little more would get something better?

Now, I'm not an expert on Springers, however I would expect a plated one to have had the vee bottom and sides done.

Richard

Once they have been plated does that mean they are good again or can they still be structurally weak still?

I'd second the hull survey. My brother-in-law bought a cheap springer without getting a survey... (yes I did tell him to get one first). In the last 18 months he's has to pay over £1500 for an emergency crane out, £5k for a major re-plate and had the stress of wondering if it would still be afloat in the morning, how he-s going to pay for it etc.

I've been trawling round the market for most of this summer and the answer to your question is most definitely yes. For ten grand you could find a 30 footer that has probably been overplated recently, or there are examples around that need overplating that are virtually worthless. I know of a 50 foot boat that has just sold for under £4,000. It needs the hull plating, but even so that is a cheap boat.

The folks at Great Haywood must be sick of the sight of that little Springer by now so I reckon the first person that comes along with some ready cash will get a bargain. But there are loads of these boats around so I would have a good look first.

Have a look at this http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=269217

I have seen that one advertised - it looks a very tidy craft, good engine too. But it has been on sale for quite some time (or seems to have been) so that price will likely be flexible.

Have you sold your tidy little one Athy?

Is it possible to get a 30 to 40 foot narrowboat that does not need major welding for around 10k ?

I would also like to know if a boat has been overplated how much more life would this give the boat?

thanks.

Put simply YES. In the boatyard I moor there is for sale a 40 ish footer for 6 k, I saw it in the dock and it looks solid and has just been blacked, a great shape too. I have no idea of wether the engine is good but I know it needs some work inside. I will ask if you want?

Tim

Have a look at as meany boats as you can and not just the ones up to your price, add 5k to the list. You havent said how good you are at diy, as this can make a lot of difference. If you are good at diy then go for the best hull you can get. if you are not then you learn quike or you are screwed.

Have a look at as meany boats as you can and not just the ones up to your price, add 5k to the list. You havent said how good you are at diy, as this can make a lot of difference. If you are good at diy then go for the best hull you can get. if you are not then you learn quike or you are screwed.

I am ok with diy and able to pick up new skills pretty well.

I'm not a welder though!