Newbie needs help!!!!

suec7566

Featured Posts

I see Lady Muck has identified the moorings and so I would certainly have absolutely no problems in recommending them. It is the Pinnocks Arm and I don't suppose there is a better mooring in the country for a old working boat and of course if you have any trouble Michael Pinnock snr will have a 'word' smile.png, his son Michael jnr now owns the dry dock on site and he owns several immaculate Joshers as well as restoring others in the winter

Morning guys,

This is indeed the right moorings, and i intend to go there tomorrow morning.

I have spoken to the owner who says that the boat has been used more as a house boat and does not have an inverter or large enough batteries for cruising.

They have cruised on the main rivers like the Trent, Thames, Lee and Stort, but had troubles on the Oxford and Southern Stratford. Mooring was difficult due to the weight and the deep draugh.

Morning guys,

This is indeed the right moorings, and i intend to go there tomorrow morning.

I have spoken to the owner who says that the boat has been used more as a house boat and does not have an inverter or large enough batteries for cruising.

They have cruised on the main rivers like the Trent, Thames, Lee and Stort, but had troubles on the Oxford and Southern Stratford. Mooring was difficult due to the weight and the deep draugh.

The inverter and batteries are easily overcome although most 'proper' boats and 'proper' boaters do without serious 240v smile.png and generally use a small Maplins inverter to charge phone etc Are you going to base yourself at Enfield and cruise on high days and holidays or are you going to CC, a bit of a waste of a residential mooring if so. Sounds like the boat has got around recently but as FtS says check its width as working boats spread also find out who did the re bottom for the same reason as some yards are less than scrupulous about checking width and pulling it in before welding on base plate. As I said earlier the current owner might not know too much abpout it as it appears that it has been used as a static houseboat. Talk to Michael if he is around, he is a bit shy but he certainly knows his stuff.

As I said earlier the current owner might not know too much about it as it appears that it has been used as a static houseboat. Talk to Michael if he is around, he is a bit shy but he certainly knows his stuff.

The current owner was the one who converted it in the first place, the daughter who i met was actually born on the boat and has lived on it ever since.

i was thinking of cc ing cus i am actually from nottingham so could go back and forwards to the lee.

I have just come back from Africa where i worked for three years sometimes living in the bush i.e. mud huts, so i am used to living without luxuries, perhaps the cold might be a problem.

I am also not frightened of internal projects and not frightened of getting my hands dirty.

The inverter and batteries are easily overcome although most 'proper' boats and 'proper' boaters do without serious 240v

Do they? Ok, I guess the majority of us here don't have 'proper' boats and aren't 'proper' boaters then... whatever that means...

How does the addition of a mains ring to a boat take it out of the 'proper boat' category exactly?

If we're using the term 'proper' for boats and boaters, then in my opinion a proper boat should have as many different systems on board as possible, because a proper boater knows that if one system fails they have alternatives and backup. My view is that purists are often just posers and they aren't necessarily proper boaters.

Did you not see the smiley Blackrose or are you seeking to take over my former persona. Just because you have a Liverpool broadbeam you don't have to have a chip on your shoulder smile.png

I don't have a chip on my shoulder and I don't really understand what my boat has to do with anything?

If you were being sarcastic or joking you should have used the tongue in cheek face or laughing face. A smiley doesn't really convey anything about your post. At best its meaning is ambiguous. Sorry if I misunderstood (just as you have misunderstood me), but I thought the smiley meant you were being smug.

Edited by blackrose