What man createth .... lock gate changeth!

Featured Posts

Two boats in a lock - mine and friends nb Iron Butterfly. Offside moves out first and upon exiting lock moves to left to pick up crew. Me meanwhile waits patiently for them to get clear as I gently move forward. And I mean gently ..... looking ahead, I decided to move the bow off to the right and was intent on keeping stern away from side of lock. Suddenly I hear this sound and the boat stop dead in the water, the front came up, the boat shook, and with a shudder judders away from the lockside and continues to shake (as indeed did we all)

Upon looking I reckon the chair that has moved its position must have somehow got caught up with the lock gate balancing beam and we carry on our way, shaking heads and muttering and murmering while wife confesses she thought we were going to sink! LOL, such is how these mishaps take on their own magnification until that is I happened to look to the left and noticed something wasn't quite the same .... take a look ....

(and just think what an outcry if it had been a 'hire boat' ..)

wC65r6t.jpg

01AS8hk.jpg

oOHLfQV.jpg

XlV5US0.jpg

That's Fobney Lock. These balance beams which protrude beyond the lockside are dangerous, but at least. that one has a hazard marking on it. I scratched my cabin side last year at Monkey Marsh lock near Thatcham, when they hung replacement lock gates but neglected to fit the stop block resulting in the balance beam overhanging the chamber side by more than a foot.

A couple of cruiser stern boats did exactly the same damage as you have to their stern rails before CRT fixed the problem there.

That's Fobney Lock. These balance beams which protrude beyond the lockside are dangerous, but at least. that one has a hazard marking on it. I scratched my cabin side last year at Monkey Marsh lock near Thatcham, when they hung replacement lock gates but neglected to fit the stop block resulting in the balance beam overhanging the chamber side by more than a foot.

A couple of cruiser stern boats did exactly the same damage as you have to their stern rails before CRT fixed the problem there.

Yes, you quite correct, it was Fobney Lock!

While I appreciate there was hazard marking, it of no possible use if it hidden by the side of the boat. Am horrified by the thought that person waiting to close the gate could just have their body in such a proximity where accidents are bound to be repeated!

Ahh, that explains what happened to our stern rails. Tawny's are bent like that, I'd often wondered how they got that way

Richard

Lol, and local Marina already quoted me £375 to straighten it. I reckon I'll just hang on till I have decided what to do next. One thing for sure, I could do most of the work myself and seeing as my favourite insurance company, Craftinsure, have just coughed up for a new prop, I'm not about to think of making another claim for what was a most unexpected and objectionable incident.

Yes, you quite correct, it was Fobney Lock!

While I appreciate there was hazard marking, it of no possible use if it hidden by the side of the boat. Am horrified by the thought that person waiting to close the gate could just have their body in such a proximity where accidents are bound to be repeated!

Surely they could only achieve that by standing beyond the edge of the lock, on the bit where the boat floats.

Surely they could only achieve that by standing beyond the edge of the lock, on the bit where the boat floats.

In one of the instances at Monkey Marsh,the steerer, who was looking at the front of the boat at the time, narrowly missed crushing his leg between the boat rail and the balance beam. That would have been very nasty.

Those type of handrails seem to catch on anything...we towed a broken down boat thro saddington tunnel last year and given its not the buisest stretch of water happened to meet another boat in the tunnel....the boat we were towing had similar handrails which scraped along the tunnel as the the boats passed....

If you get them repaired I would be tempted to move them inboard a bit.

Cheers

Gareth

Crikey, best not venture onto the Avon then..

(The locks are fierce, have walkways onthe wrong side, and the beams can stickout into the lock by nearly a foot)

Hmmmmm, not being one to ever be quite sure where I'm going , or gone - quite useful being on a waterway then.... - I make the assumption that by being on the K&A that I shall eventually meet the Avon. Expect to hear further on this! ;)

Those beams are just perfect for leaning on especially while having casual chat or just being nosey :-)

What I don't understand is why they don't chamfer the ends to reduce the impact. No doubt there has to be a rule....

There are two River Avons around there. Don't let this fool you!

MtB

P.S. One discharges into the Severn estuary at Bristol, the other into the Severn at Tewksbury.

And don't forget the one which heads towards the English Channel

Saxon word for river is avon

Nodric word for Hill is Pen

Saxon word for hill is Del

given rise to the famous northern peak famous for its witches - Pendle Hill or hill hill hill, which is one up on river river

Cheers Ian Mac who think that English can be great fun if only the dyslexia wouldn't get in the way

Edited by Ian Mac

Lol, and local Marina already quoted me £375 to straighten it. I reckon I'll just hang on till I have decided what to do next.

One thing for sure, I could do most of the work myself and seeing as my favourite insurance company, Craftinsure, have just coughed up for a new prop, I'm not about to think of making another claim for what was a most unexpected and objectionable incident.

Surely the thing to do is gently persuade it back onto position against a suitable bit of piling/bridge/treestump, anything fairly static looking thats not going to be damaged by a boat leaning on it.

Its what we have with the light/reflector 'wings' on the side of my parents trailer when the inevitable get bend every few years. Last time be someone who spectacularly all took there fake chrome plated 'bull bars' of by reversing out of the next door parking space with a bit too much left hand down on. I was in the car at the time, but the drove off non the less, the buggers! Wouldn't even mind, but by nature, there fairly obvious, with a large reflector on them, and no wider than the wheel arches.

Daniel

Just so I have this right... The OP has been in locks previous, possibly even the lock in question. The balance beam painted white with hazard marker plate on the end. The OP not paying attention when leaving the lock snags his ill designed counter rails on the balance beam.. And somehow the concensus is that this is CaRT's fault ??

Surely the thing to do is gently persuade it back onto position against a suitable bit of piling/bridge/treestump, anything fairly static looking thats not going to be damaged by a boat leaning on it. Its what we have with the light/reflector 'wings' on the side of my parents trailer when the inevitable get bend every few years. Last time be someone who spectacularly all took there fake chrome plated 'bull bars' of by reversing out of the next door parking space with a bit too much left hand down on. I was in the car at the time, but the drove off non the less, the buggers! Wouldn't even mind, but by nature, there fairly obvious, with a large reflector on them, and no wider than the wheel arches. Daniel

Thought about the gentle persuasion but as the handrail effectively stopped 20+ tons from moving, I rather think that 'gentle' might be insufficient. Luckily I met a welder who says he can affect the remedial repairs for a gentle fifty quid ...... That gave me a :)

Just so I have this right... The OP has been in locks previous, possibly even the lock in question. The balance beam painted white with hazard marker plate on the end. The OP not paying attention when leaving the lock snags his ill designed counter rails on the balance beam.. And somehow the concensus is that this is CaRT's fault ??

But EVERYTHING is CaRT's fault isn't it?

But EVERYTHING is CaRT's fault isn't it?

No no no .... You cannot blame CaRT! I mean, it's completely obvious that for years and years the lock gates have been unmanned and consequently at the mercy of impatient owners, or incompetent hirers, or even worse, share boaters who find there shiny bow thrusters out of control! Nope, I would never blame CaRT for being in the mire after years of neglect by BW. More would I ever let the thought develop that maybe this particular lock gate had had the misfortune to suffer some sort of 'remedial work' in the hands of the paid incompetents!

Crikey! Blame BW-CaRT? Perish the thought ! Ha ha !!! :) "TiC" .... :-)

Edited by pelicanafloat

Considering the impact took place less than 3 feet from the steerers position, I would conclude that insufficient attention was being paid to the exit from the lock..

In such cases it matters not one jot wether the gates have suffered under the maintenance of BW/CaRT, if the steer has insufficient knowledge to observe the situation perhaps they should find another hobby.

Considering the impact took place less than 3 feet from the steerers position, I would conclude that insufficient attention was being paid to the exit from the lock..In such cases it matters not one jot wether the gates have suffered under the maintenance of BW/CaRT, if the steer has insufficient knowledge to observe the situation perhaps they should find another hobby.

I admire your persistence but not your focus. Take another look at the end of the balance beam and you will see I am not alone in finding it got in the way. Peruse the K&A lock gates in general and study the wear and tear of so much abuse by people like myself, innocent maybe, perhaps a bit wiser and definitely a bit poorer.

I never set out to lay any blame, nor to accuse others. I would, if you will allow be to match your blunt appraisal suggest that your suggestion that I and indeed others who find themselves in a similar situation, should take up a different 'hobby' is crass. You sound perfect for a managerial position, with respect, of course ;)