999 Fire Brigade please

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

This week I had cause to ring the emergence serviced on my mobile phone from the boat. I was expecting the third degree, post code, road name etc. but no. I just explained that I was on the Gt Ouse in Cambridgeshire about 3 miles from Ely near the Little Thetford visitor moorings and the young lady was more than happy, a few minutes later the Fire Brigade turned up. Job sorted.

A bit different to when I rang 101 on the Severn to report a sheep stuck in the mud. All kinds of hassle to verify where I was.

Mind you not as serious as a 999. Of course the sheep might have thought differently.

Hope you are all OK ditchcrawler.

BTW there are lists (spreadsheets) of canal and river bridge map references etc for some waterways. Could save your life!

If anyone wants a copy of G&S, Severn, W&B, S&W or Stratford then PM me.

Some others are available here (I will add this link later)

A bit different to when I rang 101 on the Severn to report a sheep stuck in the mud. All kinds of hassle to verify where I was.

Mind you not as serious as a 999. Of course the sheep might have thought differently.

BTW there are lists (spreadsheets) of canal and river bridge map references etc for some waterways. Could save your life!

We phoned 999 on the Severn for a stuck sheep. Firebrigade arrived promptly with no problems

I understand they can get a decent location using triangulation of your mobile phone location.

Open to correction though.

Triangulation on the GSM network is not immediately available.

The operator will have received your phone number and a Cell Identity when you rang. That cell can be as small as one Hall at the NEC to thousands of hectares in Mid Wales. Traingulation is available but takes a while to set up and is not that accurate in many areas.

Some Emergency Services areas are better than others over rural area positioning. Many know get an OS map display on their screen when you ring in so can see the area and need few questions to get an exact "fix"

There was a long thread on this subject and the 999/112 system earlier this year.

A trapped animal is an emergency, so using 101 was inapproprate.

Remember that a 101 call goes through to the Police Force HQ, so in Worcestershire Hindlip Hall, and not an Emergency Services Control Room. They will have far less facilities for finding your position.

I understand they can get a decent location using triangulation of your mobile phone location.

Open to correction though.

The wonders of modern technology. The only time I have had to call the fire brigade (admittedly before mobiles) I was having difficulty getting them to understand where the fire was. I said "you can dammed nearly see it from the station what's the problem" The reply was no we can't see it we are 50 miles away.

I think you find this video interesting about the telephone No.112 to contact the emergency services:-

boat.gif

Well, I've learned something today, I knew some of that, but not all. I hope it's something I never have to do! Thank you!

I think you find this video interesting about the telephone No.112 to contact the emergency services:-

boat.gif

There is absolutely nothing in this video about 112 that won't happen with 999 (I am talking about in the United Kingdom - where I do all of my canal boating).

Dave

I was always told that if you ring 112 they can triangulate your position immediately, something to do with it using a european network, where is you ring 999 it takes them a little while longer to pin point your position.

For the record, i disagree that calling 999 is appropriate for animals in distress. i'd ring 101 or the RSPCA hotline.

Did anyone else spot that on at least two occasions when the sound track says '112' the guy actually says something else.

It's been dubbed - or least that little bit has

I wonder if he made a mistake a couple of times

I was always told that if you ring 112 they can triangulate your position immediately, something to do with it using a european network, where is you ring 999 it takes them a little while longer to pin point your position.

I am open to correction, but have always been told that this is another of those urban myths.

There was a stuck cow on the Severn yesterday. We and another boat radioed Gloucester the lock-keeper, who called the fire brigade; they were there in about an hour, and easily rescued the cow.

boat.gif

See previous threads about this!

Sorry, but this is utter rubbish!!.

Correct. Myth.

There is absolutely nothing in this video about 112 that won't happen with 999 (I am talking about in the United Kingdom - where I do all of my canal boating).

Dave

Correct and I wish people would start to realise this.

999 and 112 are EXACTLY the same service.

See my comment early.

It appears that it's two different routes (112 and 999) to the same exact destination.

Part of unification of Europe; the 999 number has been kept in the uk as it's a heritage number that everyone knows.

In an ideal EU world everyone dials 112 and speaks esparanto, and a mars bar costs the same wherever you go.

Edited by mark99

It appears that it's two different routes (112 and 999) to the same exact destination.

Part of unification of Europe; the 999 number has been kept in the uk as it's a heritage number that everyone knows.

In an ideal EU world everyone dials 112 and speaks esparanto, and a mars bar costs the same wherever you go.

As the Mars Bar is used as an economic comparator (the ingredients are a good indicator), then in effect - it does cost the same wherever you go

Richard