Am I a proper boater now?

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

Just got back from a long weekend to Trent lock and back.

Had to explain the drying shoes on the roof as last night when mooring up near Weston lock did full forward roll into the cut after missing the bow rope.

I'm told as I have now tasted the muddy ditch I can call myself a boater.

Is that the criteria we can use for the association?

:-p

Edited by Suzie_q

I must be a proper boater as well now then as i went in on the Llangollen last week in the arm past the Anglo Welsh Base. I can confirm that all the stone work on the moorings is in good order all the way from bottom to top and does not require repointing yet...........I checked it out on the way back up. :rolleyes:

The only time I've been in the river was on purpose (taking a rope to the bank after running aground on the Old West in November) and I haven't damaged a boat in a lock. However, I've just noticed that I am now a member of this forum and no longer a junior.

Will have to go and be downhearted since I'm not a proper boater and my last claim to being young has been taken away from me!

After 4 years living aboard Dave and I are both hoping the other will be the one to take the "proper boater" badge first.

I've probably jinxed myself now!!!

(We've both joined the "wet foot but managed to grab the rail" club and I very nearly went in when I jumped onto the bank without clocking the steep camber - I had to throw myself into the nettles rather than tip backwards into the canal, much to the amusement of a passing dog walker :D)

Had to explain the drying shoes on the roof as last night when mooring up near Weston lock did full forward roll into the cut after missing the bow rope.

hmm.. lets think about this ... did anyone see you?? if they did YES you are .. if they didnt should have told you shush, dotn admit to owt lol .. mind you a full forward roll ... :) moi is impressed you athlete you xx

when ever moi fell in the cut, it wasnt so graceful .. ( NO! i aitn gonner tell you how many times blush.png ) i was always seen and tried to get out as fast as i could with my dignity intact.. the only time i lost my rag ..was when trying to grab the dog .. tiny for his age jack russell the ()*(*^*&^& . who was walking backward along the gunnel. i went all skewiff and in i went ... and a bloke just stood laughing anbd when i finally clawed myself back onto the ruddy boat he started 'clapping' grrr.... did he get the full benefit of moi angry glare... he surely did glare.gif

my daughter keeps a waiting list of friends to come aboard with her.

One went in at Crick just as we were mooring up, slipped off the gunnels.

The other strangely went in when no boat was near, at Sawley wier in full flood, she slipped on the rocks and luckily we managed to grab her before she was washed downstream.

my daughter keeps a waiting list of friends to come aboard with her.

One went in at Crick just as we were mooring up, slipped off the gunnels.

The other strangely went in when no boat was near, at Sawley wier in full flood, she slipped on the rocks and luckily we managed to grab her before she was washed downstream.

Your boat sounds like a dangerous place to be...

:P

Oooh Yesh!!clapping.gifbiggrin.png

My two eldest children were born in hospital and then back to the boat and the only time one who ever fell in was my son. He was only a toddler and we were walking besides the towpath and my daughter tripped as i glanced at her , i heard splash.. my hand and arm moved at warp speed and I grabbed him back out..it wasnt that far back to the boat, but i ended up stripping off his clothes and wrapping him up in my trousers adn jumper ( phew !! thank goodness it was in the days before mobile phones lol ..as he is now 24yrs and whenever i bring it up he goes 'ok mamma i fell in once, but how many times have you fallen in' wacko.png

Nope.

To be a 'proper boater' your boat needs to have been built before 1955.

Same applies to you too, lol!

tongue.png

MtB

hmm.. lets think about this ... did anyone see you?? if they did YES you are .. if they didnt should have told you shush, dotn admit to owt lol .. mind you a full forward roll ... :) moi is impressed you athlete you

glare.gif

Sue was stood behind me and our friends were stood on the bow so rolled in right in front of them!!!!!

At least no one had a camera to hand.

:-)

Just joined this club. Fell partly in above Aynho Weir Lock this morning. Grazed my leg on narrowboat that got partly in the way. Pain was such that we needed to spend a number of hours in the Great Western at lunchtime and medical advice suggests that more time there may be needed this evening for a full recovery.

Both me and my cat are proper boaters several times over.

Me:

1. Leaning over side of stern to clear rope from prop due to unusable weed hatch (harbour)
  2. Fell off gunwhale in rain trying to moor up on first journey (river).
  3. Jumped in carrying rope in failed attempt to moor up on first journey (river)
  4. One foot went in due to reeds disguised as bank (canal)
  5. Gangplank not properly secured (canal)
  6. Fell off bow while fishing for lost mooring pin with magnet in rain, lost a fingernail and a few good scars (canal).

Cat:

1. Licking balls on the gunwhales without due care and attention as a speeding hireboat passes (canal).
  2. Jumping from gunwhale to roof and missing (canal).

The cat is better than I expected him to be at climbing out of the canal (somehow managed a 3-foot metal wall).