Where is the coldest, nay, snowiest place

Tinhare

Featured Posts

My wife wants a snowy winter. Personally I'd rather head south but since she wants a snowy winter I'll see what I can do to give her one, snowy winter that is. The snowier the better. will probably be the last one she requests.
So where is the snowiest place on the system? In a typical year though not the weird ones like the last few.

Cheers,

Alan.

I think the OP may find a dearth of canals there! I would say L&L summit, up ont Pennines.

Yep, either the top pound or probably better the pound below Greenberfield locks ought to do it, we moored there for a couple of years and were frozen in both winters. Suggest you find a place sheltered from the wind though.

Thanks for all your answers so far.

Interesting no-one has said you're mad or why would you want to do that.

Otterburn military training area, in Northumberland, -10 in winter, full of midges in summer.

Northumberland is lovely but I think we'd have to put the boat on a lorry to get there.

Had a good week in Hetta last winter, which is a few hundred miles inside the artic circle.

Hetta sounds awesome and any winter you could guarantee snow. Even harder to get the boat there.

Either the top pound or probably better the pound below Greenberfield locks ought to do it, we moored there for a couple of years and were frozen in both winters. Suggest you find a place sheltered from the wind though.

That sounds interesting and my first thought was up that way,

I think the OP may find a dearth of canals there! I would say L&L summit, up ont Pennines.

I thought of here but might be a tad remote.

L&L Skipton way.

This is what I am thinking.

Thanks again,

Alan.

My wife wants a snowy winter. Personally I'd rather head south but since she wants a snowy winter I'll see what I can do to give her one, snowy winter that is. The snowier the better. will probably be the last one she requests.

So where is the snowiest place on the system? In a typical year though not the weird ones like the last few.

Cheers,

Alan.

Try Reedley marina north of Burnley on L & L.

IMG_4359.jpg

Edited by by'eck

Trollhättan is 50 km from here, Göteborg - Trollhättan canal is the way up from west coast to lake Vänern, 45 meter elevation, in 6 big locks, 88x13 meter

Then Dalsland canal is on the west shore of lake Vänern, 31 locks 75x13 feet

on the east coast of Vänern starts the Göta canal, going to east coast of sweden, near Stockholm

I hate our winters with a passion!

Come and live in England. There is plenty to hate here and the winter problem will pale into insignificance!

There is even more to love.

N

Otterburn military training area, in Northumberland, -10 in winter, full of midges in summer.

Before opening the thread I was going to suggest the Falkland Islands, only their summer is our winter etc.

Having seen your post I am going to raise you Sennybridge training area in Wales. My geography isn't geat as I was always asleep on the way to and from there, but is it that far from the Mon & Brecon?

Bugsworth Basin on the Peak Forest canal - it's near Buxton, which ALWAYS gets a load of snow - and often the first, too! (and it is within walking distance of Whaley Bridge, Tesco's etc just in case you get snowed in!!)

Plus there's a decent pub close by and you can find places to get out of the wind

Bugsworth Basin on the Peak Forest canal - it's near Buxton, which ALWAYS gets a load of snow - and often the first, too! (and it is within walking distance of Whaley Bridge, Tesco's etc just in case you get snowed in!!)

I agree with the above ,Buxton is normally one of the first places in the UK to get road access cut off because of snow

Edited by JerryP