Another "Going In To Birmingham" Question.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We are currently at Greensforge on the Staff and Worcs, and planning to start to head into Birmingham tomorrow, after turning on to the Stourbridge canal at Stourton Junction.

So as well as the 3 locks that we still have to do on the S&W, we have the 4 Stourton, 16 Stourbridge and 8 Delph locks, (I make that 31).

It is about 9 hours to Merryhill, I reckon - that is manageable, but we don't really want to go longer than that, unless there is really good reason to.

So can you always find a space at Merryhill?

Are there alternative, or better suggestions?

Are there any reasonable options if we stop before we get to Delph, (which basically means Brierley Hill, I think).

This is all an area we have not been to for many years, and we don't know the areas involved at all, so all help appreciated.

You can always, always, always, always find a space at Merry Hill. There is linear mooring for about five hundred boats, but only ever three boats at the most

And you forgot Blowers Green lock

There's a bit by the bottom lock at Delph where you can moor, very convenient for the pub

Richard

We are currently at Greensforge on the Staff and Worcs, and planning to start to head into Birmingham tomorrow, after turning on to the Stourbridge canal at Stourton Junction.

So as well as the 3 locks that we still have to do on the S&W, we have the 4 Stourton, 16 Stourbridge and 8 Delph locks, (I make that 31).

It is about 9 hours to Merryhill, I reckon - that is manageable, but we don't really want to go longer than that, unless there is really good reason to.

So can you always find a space at Merryhill?

Are there alternative, or better suggestions?

Are there any reasonable options if we stop before we get to Delph, (which basically means Brierley Hill, I think).

This is all an area we have not been to for many years, and we don't know the areas involved at all, so all help appreciated.

In my experience the Merry Hill complex itself can get a bit crowded but there are usually spaces (concrete edge and rings) on the approach which is just as good.

I'd suggest the Stourbridge Extension Canal, which I mentioned before http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=58789&page=3#entry1116526 , if you're in your modern boat, not sure if there would be the depth for the old one. And maybe a bit remote if you want to go to a pub for the evening.

Though being a lazy boater myself, I would stop shortly after the Stourton locks, it is a nice stretch of canal.

(Blowers Green is after Merry Hell)

You can always, always, always, always find a space at Merry Hill. There is linear mooring for about five hundred boats, but only ever three boats at the most

And you forgot Blowers Green lock

There's a bit by the bottom lock at Delph where you can moor, very convenient for the pub

Richard

Yes, it's quite a nice little mooring, but just above the first Delph lock, on a side-arm. There is a similar side-arm just below the top Delph, but quite overgrown, not so good.

We went on past there a couple of weeks ago, intending to stop at Merry Hill, but I was so appalled by the place that we continued on to Windmill End and the Holy Grail (Ma Pardoe's).

Yes, it's quite a nice little mooring, but just above the first Delph lock, on a side-arm. There is a similar side-arm just below the top Delph, but quite overgrown, not so good.

We went on past there a couple of weeks ago, intending to stop at Merry Hill, but I was so appalled by the place that we continued on to Windmill End and the Holy Grail (Ma Pardoe's).

Merry Hill is primarily a huge shopping centre though there are a couple of mediocre pubs by the basin, (A Weatherspoons and an Eatery).

Ma Pardoes is of course one of the best pubs in the land and this is probably why you were disappointed when you went to Merryhell by mistake.

I expect if a family expecting a day out at the shops somehow accidentally found themselves in Ma Pardoes they would be equally disappointed!!!!

Its actually not too hard a walk from MerryHill to another Black country HolyGrail, and even shorter if you had stopped at the Delph mooring.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1

We were at Merry Hill a couple of weeks ago, and did what you are planning but in the other direction. There is a lot of mooring at Merry Hill. You will find lots of space I am certain on the rings on the embankment between the top of Delph and the Waterfront basin at Merry Hill. As we were coming the other way, and there was space, we stopped in the basin. It is very quiet there, most of the bars are closed down with the exception of Weatherspoons, which was handy for a cheap pint on our way out for the evening and a cooked breakfast in the morning.

Thanks to all those who advised, but the Finchers have (very unusually!) now tied up for the day by lunchtime in Stourbridge.

Despite the weather forecast we thought we would put in a long day tomorrow, getting wet as required.

Am I right in thinking that if we can get to Hawne Basin tomorrow we will find good moorings there?

I seem to recall reading it is a bit lik Aylesbury, and they are leased to get visiting boats, and will generally find you a slot.

Or did I just imagine that?

Do we need to pre-book with anyone?

We fancy going down there, as we never have been yet, (the same reason we arein Stourbridg now!).

Look out for more silly questions as we muddle our way around Brum!

Do go to Hawne Basin. They are almost as friendly as Aylesbury, but sharpen your cabin shaft before you set off. The Dudley No 2 is well endowed with 'stuff'' and you can expect a bladeful or two.

N

You could contact Hawne Basin, there is a contact form on their web site not sure if there is a phone number, I used the web site when we stayed there. They will find you a (free) overnight spot in the basin. Remember Ghosty Hill tunnel is low, so clear the roof of stuff.

Thanks,

I've tried their contact form.

(One of those forms that is so hard to use because it only accepts A-Z, 0-9 and some punctuation! Oh how I love them!)

Hawne Basin is great and very friendly and its almost certain that they will fit you in but I would phone first.

I would also phone just before you go into Ghosty Hill just in case you don't come out the other end! We got a tyre round the prop right in the middle of the tunnel. The good people of Hawne lifted the back of the boat half out of the water with their engine hoist so that we could get it off.

Very very cheap diesel too, Wheaton Aston are NOT the cheapest on the system!

.........Dave

We just pitched up at Hawne and they made us very welcome, although it was only for a lunch stop. We were encouraged to use their facilities, ie filled up with water and plugged into free shore power to run the vacuum (previous boat without an inverter). We certainly went away with the impression that they were genuinely pleased to receive visitors.