Laundrettes

stickleback

Featured Posts

They seem to be a dying breed. The BW laundry facilities on the Caldon have gone, couldn't find one in Stoke, doesn't seem to be one in Rugeley. Does anyone know of any laundrettes between Rugeley / Braunston reasonably close to the canal?

In fact a list of accessible laundrettes anywhere on the system might be quite useful for a lot of boaters!

The Aylesbury Canal Society Launderette list is still going strong. Available from the IWA's sales folks:

IWA Sales,

Island House,

Moor Road,

Chesham,

HP5 1WA

Tel. 01494 783453

Cheques for £4.50 payable to IWA Sales Includes postage in UK.

Free Updates on the ACS website.

I was never convinced it was BW/CART's job to be providing washing machines since they are frequently broken by mistreatment and it's near impossible to make any money out of less than a full-scale launderette with extra services (ironing etc.).

N

Launderette near canal at Rugely just ask a local when you get there it is about a 5 min walk

The problem for CRT was that maintenance on machines was far more than the income. Call outs for broken washing machines was higher than any other issue

Thanks for that! I shall ask!

Edited by stickleback

They seem to be a dying breed. The BW laundry facilities on the Caldon have gone, couldn't find one in Stoke, doesn't seem to be one in Rugeley. Does anyone know of any laundrettes between Rugeley / Braunston reasonably close to the canal?

Braunston Marina???

They have one from memory but can't recall if it's available to non - moorers.

Edited by The Dog House

tamworth and polesworth both have launderettes near the canal, I am sure I have seen one in atherstone, and Nuneaton too.

The one in Atherstone is about 10 minutes walk from the canal. Moor between lock 5 and 6 where there is a straight stretch with plenty of mooring space. Head towards the railway station via the bridge opposite the pub, and once you've walked under the railway just keep going straight on and you'll reach the high street. After a couple of min swalk along the high st turn left by the ironmongers and it's just down there on the left (it's in the market square by the church).

The Canal Shop at Hillmorton Wharf has a large washer and dryer at £4 for a wash and £3 for a dry.

Braunston Marina also has a launderette (charged) for both moorers and non-moorers, but the dryers are totally useless. Also, the pump out runs through the room and the smell will turn you sick if someone happens to be pumping out when you are in there. This, coming from a veterinary nurse, should give you an ideaof how bad it is. :D

The Canal Shop at Hillmorton Wharf has a large washer and dryer at £4 for a wash and £3 for a dry.

Braunston Marina also has a launderette (charged) for both moorers and non-moorers, but the dryers are totally useless. Also, the pump out runs through the room and the smell will turn you sick if someone happens to be pumping out when you are in there. This, coming from a veterinary nurse, should give you an ideaof how bad it is. :D

I was going to mention the pong but held back as I wasn't sure it was them and didn't want to do them a disservice.

Also, the pump out runs through the room and the smell will turn you sick if someone happens to be pumping out when you are in there. This, coming from a veterinary nurse, should give you an ideaof how bad it is. :D

why, do veterinary nurses pump outs smell different??...

The one in Atherstone is about 10 minutes walk from the canal. Moor between lock 5 and 6 where there is a straight stretch with plenty of mooring space. Head towards the railway station via the bridge opposite the pub, and once you've walked under the railway just keep going straight on and you'll reach the high street. After a couple of min swalk along the high st turn left by the ironmongers and it's just down there on the left (it's in the market square by the church).

And very good it is too. If you time it right you get a cuppaB-)

I like Atherstone very much. Good people with a Welcome to Boaters handout .

Only downside is the Raj Mahal restaurant where for the first time in 66 years I was refused a table for one! I asked for an explanation-was I too scruffy, drunk, bald?

The only answer was "too much hassle "

Amazing. What a way to run a business. I love Atherstone but the Raja Mahal? Rubbish. Don't go there. Grrr .

We could ask Admin to have a post on here for a list of launderettes :-)

Ventnor farm marina Have a coin operated washer and dryer

Billing aquadrome have a launderette and ironing facilities

We have campers here and if they ask if there is a laundry nearby, I always offer to wash their laundry and let them have the use of my line :-)

I'm not surprised that the BW machines have gone , I dread to think what people put in them and I was never sure they were a good idea.

Hawne basin has a laundry, cards for the electric can be bought in the shop. Can't say how much it costs,you buy a card for the meter and the machines then work.