Stoke Bruerne Backpumping At The Top Lock

Leo No2

Featured Posts

The back pumping was repaired this week and seems to be running well but it is giving a number of boats challenges when trying to moor up in the lock waiting area above the top lock. Some are being pushed over towards the Boat Inn (perish the thought that anyone may require refreshment after the seven locks or the tunnel!). Both outlets are running fast - I assume the issue will reduce as the level in the pound (of course it is very long) rises a bit.

I suppose forewarned is forearmed. You can avoid any embarrassment by mooring using the bollards closest to the lock on the way down and those closer to the canal museum on the way up where there is little influence from the backpumping.

My original post was just to warn that the situation had changed !

It's clearly had an effect as early this morning it seems to have caused the strapping post outside No3 to fail (it was VERY rotten where it meets the ground) - a loud crack at about 05:30 when a boat used it; the majority of the strapping post (75%) now lies alongside the remaining 25% which is still standing. I'll give CRT a call on Monday in the hope they will replace it - pity they don't take routine calls at weekends.

Edited by Leo No2

My original post was just to warn that the situation had changed !

It's clearly had an effect as early this morning it seems to have caused the strapping post outside No3 to fail (it was VERY rotten where it meets the ground) - a loud crack at about 05:30 when a boat used it; the majority of the strapping post (75%) now lies alongside the remaining 25% which is still standing.

I can't remember - was this one of the original wooden posts? If so, it's a shame because there are very few of these left now.

Yes I think it was - I might try and save it in some way - perhaps the museum may like it! It's just rotted at ground level. I'll add a photo of it when I start up my bigger PC.

The 'dead' strapping post.

DSCF8172.JPG

Edited by Leo No2

This could be interesting, from memory the top lock is a listed structure and they had to change the listing to get the posts included. CRT will have to replace like for like, wonder what they will do?

This could be interesting, from memory the top lock is a listed structure and they had to change the listing to get the posts included. CRT will have to replace like for like, wonder what they will do?

cut up a local tree! Or an old lock beam? Or put an iron one in its place from one of the narrow locks that have been installed.

I would imagine that 'the team' would enjoy sorting out something like this.

Martyn.

I shall keep them honest!

CRT have been and taken photos. The repair scheme will be dictated by the Heritage Dept of CRT and will, I am advised, be an oak post of similar dimensions which I suppose is all we can ask for. They could replace the post with a modern equivalent or an iron post but they believe, if they do that, complaints will start to come in within an hour of the job being finished so the only way to do it is properly.

They did confirm that the items were listed to the best of their knowledge.

CRT have been and taken photos. The repair scheme will be dictated by the Heritage Dept of CRT and will, I am advised, be an oak post of similar dimensions which I suppose is all we can ask for. They could replace the post with a modern equivalent or an iron post but they believe, if they do that, complaints will start to come in within an hour of the job being finished so the only way to do it is properly.

They did confirm that the items were listed to the best of their knowledge.

Well done. That looks like a good result.

Interestingly all seven locks are listed structures (I imagine there are many over the entire network) which means CRT have quite a responsibility. Can't find anything specific about the strapping post but there is a caveat to say that the text in the document (link at end of my text) is as submitted when first listed (1988) and that it may be different now and should not be relied upon.

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/northamptonshire/stoke+bruerne

You need to scroll down a wee bit to get to the information about the locks.

Listing details are at http://list.english-heritage.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1040947 (if that works, otherwise a search for Stoke Bruerne will find it & the details for the other listed locks in the flight)

ETA: I wasn't the only one looking for the listing.

Edited by andy3196

I think credit for this swift response and subsequent action should be named as steve morgan from CRT.

Another who realises the importance of boaters to the canals and safety implications of such a fault.

Take note jeff whyatt....., canals were built for boats,not voles,swans,lycra clad cyclists etc. Lose the boaters and you lose your job.

Similar to the pumps up the Buckby flight, several push you out of line just when you think youve got it spot on.

nowhere near as vicious as the Shroppie bywashes in Spring though..

Shroppie BAST**RDS :)

And the top of Hillmorton

Hillmorton BAST*RD :)

Yes done me too!

canals were built for boats,not voles,swans,lycra clad cyclists etc. Lose the boaters and you lose your job.

birds, mammals or MAMILS (acronym for Middle Aged Men In Lycra)