Cwdf Leads The Way - More Members Than Anyone Else!

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

A word of warning...

A couple of years ago, there were a lot of accounts set up by spammers. All of those accounts still exist, but are locked. Accounts are still regularly set up by spammers and get just locked

There are a lot fewer real accounts than 15,600

Richard

I have met countless people on the cut who say "I know you from CWDF". When I have asked them their user name, many have said "Oh I don't post, but I read it regularly". We may not have that many regular posters, but I am absolutely convinced we have a very large audience.

I do know that some I have talked to feel rather intimidated to get involved - clearly one of our failings I would argue. But many have said that certainly doesn't stop them looking, and using it as an information source.

It is correct by the way that Jon Belcher was the instigator, and that Dan took the forum on from Jon. John Orentas was probably one of the early reasons that many people felt intimidated not to post! He was a moderator, but never the sire owner.

I've got to say it. This group doesn't represent me :-)))

I'm sure that's a great relief to many of us, Sue!

(Though I do at least have a gas fridge, but definitely no generator, to give you some feeling of "belonging"!.....)

My husband (davel) reads the forum every day, but usually as a guest. He only occasionally feels the need to contribute (132 posts to his name since April 2008). He always tells people I'm his mouthpiece (not sure whether that's a good thing or not :D)

We have a lot of lapsed members, a lot of spammers with blocked accounts but we also have a lot of guests reading the forum.

From my point of view it's made a huge difference to our journey. I used it for research before we bought the boat, including meeting forum members to discuss the realities. That incredibly steep learning curve during our first year aboard was made surmountable with the help of forum members.

And, the icing on the cake, we've made loads of new friends who we might never have met otherwise.

This forum is a great resource for information and for relief of boredom. As others have mentioned already the social influence of the forum has changed a few lives too.

I originally signed up to ask advice for a slightly less internet savvy friend with a broken rudder. I was not a boater, just someone who had enjoyed a couple of hire boat holidays and cadged a chug on this friends boat when I got the chance.

That feels a lifetime ago as the friendly help I received back then led me to loiter on this forum a lot. I met Dave or Postcode as forum members know him (formerly ST170DWL) and fast forward a few years here I am a married woman with boat!

My Dave also reads the forum most days but rarely posts saying he married me so he has a social secretary.

This forum is great.

I'm a regular reader but very irregular poster, but has anyone considered what this thread might do to the blood pressure of the editor of Narrow-whingers-world? There will surely be an item in the other place soon pointing out the inaccuracy of the figures and commenting on the self-congratulatory content posted here.

PS Many thanks for all the past helpful information and the sheer entertainment of the forum. I'll keep an eye out for any members of the forum at Audlem's gathering this weekend.

{snip}

There will surely be an item in the other place soon pointing out the inaccuracy of the figures and commenting on the self-congratulatory content posted here.

{snip}

clapping.gif

That's the thing about the forum. Because it has Daniel as it's owner, and he has followed Jon's light handed approach to moderation, this site tends to tell a story from many different viewpoints. Even from conflicting ones

Richard

It took me several years to work up the courage to join this forum, having long been an occasional visitor. Now I fully concur with the sentiments expressed about both its entertainment value and as the best source of advice about waterways stuff anywhere.

Makes me wonder why I'm paying good money to IWA. Thinking about it whilst chugging gently from Dutton Breach to Saltersford Tunnel (where we're waiting for the 9.30 slot atm), it occurred to me that it's just a bit like the contrast between the WI and Mumsnet. The one is ancient, quite respected but grossly over-structured, the other actually gets things done and calls politicos to account.

(And probably only a few hundred who regularly post, say, at least once a week.)

I joined in March of this year when we decided to take the plunge (not literally!). I have found it to be the most informative forum I have found, (even if the electrical threads go whoosh, SOMH) and I have entered the Chat room as well. AS we near the time of actually (finally) getting aboard, I am sure I will use some of the threads more that others - i enjoy reading about people's experiences and I am firmly of the opinion that if you join something, you should try and contribute - although when we move aboard I am sure there will be more questions (I still want a dishwasher, but cannot decide how we would fit it aboard). It is a huge resource and congratulations to Daniel and all the previous owners - the internet being used to do what it was originally designed to do - share knowledge and information - someone mentioned a political party - i think some parties would be envious of the diversity of opinion on here.

May it continue

Jon was the original owner, but can't remember his last name. Definitely not John Orentas, who was a mod.

As you rightly say, a ot of stuff was lost and we all had to rejoin. DOR is possibly the earliest member still around.

Yes, Jon Belcher set up the site as a student project when he was at college. John Orentas came in quite a bit after the site started, and irritated many people with his arrogant quotes, frequently stating wrong information as absolute fact.

Yes Cat, I think I am probably the earliest member still around. There are one or two with earlier registration dates on this forum, but of course everyone had to re-register when the new software was put up and I was away at the time.

When I first started on the forum there were perhaps half a dozen members that posted, and even then it could be days between individual posts. How times change eh?

It would be interesting to know how many active members the forum has; say the number of unique members that have posted in the last six months.

Edited by dor

If you had someone who was clever, the forum database would hold that information

Richard

They'd need not only to be clever, but to have access to the forum database.

I think Dan is the only person fitting that description, unless the mods have permission to query the DB....

MtB

One of the best things about here is that you can get help on a whole range of non boaty stuff too -

Over the time of my membership I have had help with numerous PC/lap top problems, what type of tablet PC to buy, how to tension the thread on a Singer 221K Featherweight Sewing Machine, how to fix a leaky domestic loo, Dennis' diet etc etc - the list goes on.

Because the forum membership is drawn from a wide range of people with a wide range of backgrounds and experience it is almost inevitable some one will know what to do about a whole range of things.

Since discovering CWDF I have read it daily, but posted infrequently, so rarely feel the need to 'log in'.

Love the info, hate the arguments! But as long as the one far outways the other I keep coming here rolleyes.gif

A couple of years ago, there were a lot of accounts set up by spammers. All of those accounts still exist, but are locked. Accounts are still regularly set up by spammers and get just locked.

Richard

I am a mod of a forum in another field of interest and Richard is right. There was indeed a pulse of spammer members joining a while back.

While its no where near as active as this forum, the owner/webmaster seems to have a nose for "wrong-uns" and we keep a close eye on them.

Having access to the DB for that forum, I know that about 70% have only ever made one post, and less than 10% post regularly.

Unfortunately we have lost a few active members in Iraq and Afghanistan in recent years ......... sad.png

I've already posted my clapping.gif for the site. Reading the updates, including Bruce's about the relative merits of CWDF and the IWA, I'd already decided not to renew my IWA membership this year, so I've just taken great delight in donating that membership fee to CWDF.

• Greenie 1