Do Any Of You Have A Safe On Board ?

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a small safe to be used when away from the boat and keep their valuables in. Made me wonder if I should do this since meeting a guy down the cut whose engine failed , he tied up and walked into town to do some shopping while waiting for an engineer to arrive. Returned to the boat to find it had been broken into and lost his valuables.

Now trying to figure out where might be the best place or it on board RQ.

Just wondered if anyone has fitted a small safe to be used when away from the boat and keep their valuables in. Made me wonder if I should do this since meeting a guy down the cut whose engine failed , he tied up and walked into town to do some shopping while waiting for an engineer to arrive. Returned to the boat to find it had been broken into and lost his valuables.

Welded to the baseplate under a hatch in yer floor

Welded to the baseplate under a hatch in yer floor

Might be better to have it welded onto the boat in the welldeck outside, so anyone taking a grinder to it has to do it in full view of the world. Far more likely to attract attention that way.

Either that, or take your valuables with you when you break down. Or keep them in the poo tank.

MtB

• Greenie 1

My gas locker has a really beefy padlock hasp welded to it to stop the bottles being nicked. Would make an excellent safe, on reflection.

Maybe this is a good solution! (Ignoring the gas safety implications of locking the gas locker...)

MtB

A safe onboard what..?

Yes sorry here I am presuming you know I have a narrow boat - however the question wasn't specifically aimed at metal boats, more at how people keep their easily carried off valuables safe. Not always possible to carry them with you when you go off for a couple of hours. Just wondered how people guard against any opportunist thieves rather than someone carrying any serious cutting tools with plenty of time to do what they like.

Get a big dog. Just remember burglars and most other low life vermin thieving scum are like bullies they are soft as the proverbial when confronted, If you have a proper dog they will simply move on.

Tim

Yes we have a dog - he's scared of his own shadow - wouldn't walk passed my wifes riding boots the other day to get his ball. So unless the would be tea leaf has an allergy to Scooter then he would be welcomed with open paws.

On an aside re dogs I was head butted in my shin by a wimpy staffy two weeks ago (he was running away from a puppy!) still can't walk properly so maybe I can teach Scooter to head butt low life.

• Greenie 1

I may, or may not have a safe.

I certainly won't be discussing whether I do or not (or the details of any putattive safe) here!

I may, or may not have a safe.

I certainly won't be discussing whether I do or not (or the details of any putattive safe) here!

I can see where Dave is coming from - I thought about posting something on similar lines. We can assume that some of the people who may read these posts may be doing so with dishonest motives.

It is sensible to have a safe box for valuables and important documents - ideally this should also be waterproof and fireproof. If the boat is reasonably secure and the safe is hidden from view, it should not need to be welded in place.

what a pointless post..

I thank you for redressing the balance with your own truly pointless contribution to the thread.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, the point to my post is that discussing whether you have a safe, and how it is secured, in a public forum is simply providing information to thieves.

Perhaps you too would care to expand upon the point that you were making?

If I had a safe on board I certainly wouldn't make it public knowledge, especially posting exactly where it was on the boat.

I have actually got a small metal safe, all I need now is a boat to put it on.....

Edited by paul68

There is always a balance to be struck between putting valuables in one place, and distributing them, a balance between high level which may get hot in a fire, or low level that may get wet if you ship a little water.

Slab steel is poor protection against heat but good protection against forcible entry.

Electric locks mean you can't lose the key, but if the battery goes flat...

Big dogs use up space and can be tempted with food, little dogs can be more defensive of you and yours and usually don't take food from strangers. Dogs need vet time and money and need daily attention (hourly in the summer).

I once knew a Newfoundland that could put it's paws on my shoulders to lick me but if you broke into it's home you would get licked to death frighteningly huge but useless as any guard.

I thank you for redressing the balance with your own truly pointless contribution to the thread.

For the benefit of the hard of thinking, the point to my post is that discussing whether you have a safe, and how it is secured, in a public forum is simply providing information to thieves.

Perhaps you too would care to expand upon the point that you were making?

I think we are all bright enough to work out that posting exact details of safe or hiding places on a public forum is not sensible and didn't really need you to post a smug and sell righteous smart alec reply... Or do you think you are all so much our intelluctual superior that we need telling that ?

i would argue with you further but in the battle of wits its unfair for me to fight an unarmed man...

I think we are all bright enough to work out that posting exact details of safe or hiding places on a public forum is not sensible and didn't really need you to post a smug and sell righteous smart alec reply... Or do you think you are all so much our intelluctual superior that we need telling that ?

i would argue with you further but in the battle of wits its unfair for me to fight an unarmed man...

I think that most people would be shy of posting that information, but that some people in an unguarded moment might say something that they would regret.

You would argue with me further, but for the fact that you haven't got an argument to advance makes it rather pointless.

No, I don't consider myself your intelectual superior (I haven't got a clue who you are, and don't particularly care either), but if my posts make you feel inferior then you should probably seek help for your low sef esteem.

BTW, if my comment was "a smug and sell righteous smart alec reply", how would you classify "what a pointless post".

If you are struggling, I could suggest a couple of adjectives.

Keep digging! laugh.png

It is sensible to have a safe box for valuables and important documents - ideally this should also be waterproof and fireproof. If the boat is reasonably secure and the safe is hidden from view, it should not need to be welded in place.

If it is welded to the hull, then it is likely to attract condensation, which might not be too clever if you are using it for important documents or electronic items.