2 near misses today

DeanS

Featured Posts

That's the way most people lock who just want to get through the lock. It's no great deal, get in gates shut, paddles open, job done.

What you are missing is that for Dave Mayall this is an opportunity for him to show his importance and authority.

He doesn't get much chance, poor chap.

While he's in the lock nobody can do anything about it so he's going to take his time ad sod everyone else.

Au contraire Mr P

I have neither the need nor desire to trumpet my importance or authority here or elsewhere. That is why you won't find my CV online (and it certainly isn't a patch on others that we could discuss when it comes to self importance.

Neither do I take my time time through locks. I will be through a lock just as fast without throwing up paddles as I will be with some idiot trying to help. Many is the time that we have followed a boat that is mob handed through a flight and kept up with them.

And if your feeling stubborn and bad tempered, sleepy or fancy having your elevens's or din-dins at your leisure or indeed if you want to stay in a double lock for a week or so then why not, Just keep going up and down,up and down as other boats come and go, when your refreshed and ready to press on just wait for a boat to arrive going your way and drift out with it.

Of course this pleasant little break or holiday in the lock could be entirely rudely spoilt by the owner of a wide boat bashing on your roof, but that's just a risk you'll have to take.

The business of remaining in a double lock and going up and down in it whilst other boats go through is quite common at locks with a lockside water tap and you need to remain in it for a while whilst filling up. closedeyes.gif

Recently, I've found that watchers have become more problematic and dangerous than any help offered.

I've always time to chat, and explain if I can, don't mind that. But sometimes the volume of watchers is too much, they get in the way. Especially the little children I walk into. They're just the correct height to trip over or knee into.

Otherwise, when I know the locks, it's usually open those paddles fast and furious.

Keep moving.

When helping others: I try to remember to ask before opening paddles. It's their boat not mine.

Recently, I've found that watchers have become more problematic and dangerous than any help offered.

I've always time to chat, and explain if I can, don't mind that. But sometimes the volume of watchers is too much, they get in the way. Especially the little children I walk into. They're just the correct height to trip over or knee into.

Or the ones who insist on moving into the arc of the balance beam as soon as you have your back to them

Also the whistle of choice on the Titanic , be warned .

I will always help others through a lock , but stand , windless in hand , waiting for instruction , certainly wouldn't start winding until I knew the boats Skipper was ready .

and always open the paddles slowly :-) see all perfectly pleasant and grown up :-)

I love this forum it is akin to watching a load of kids arguing in the playground. Never fails to make me smile

Or the ones who insist on moving into the arc of the balance beam as soon as you have your back to them

Jokingly, I trapped a few the other day on a bridge by opening the bottom lock gates either side of them. " get out of that " I said, " but not till I've left the lock please." " then you can shut them for me"

Also be very careful nudging gates open when you can't see the beam! I haven't caught anyone yet.

There are locations where unwitting help can at best be a pain, and at worst a disaster waiting. A single narrow boat going up a wide lock can get badly thrown about if the paddles are opened wrong, or to fast.

Edited by luctor et emergo

There are locations where unwitting help can at best be a pain, and at worst a disaster waiting. A single narrow boat going up a lock can get badly thrown about if the paddles are opened wrong, or too quick.

There are locations where unwitting help can at best be a pain, and at worst a disaster waiting. A single narrow boat going up a wide lock can get badly thrown about if the paddles are opened wrong, or too quick.

Yes, but you are supposed to ignore that and "go with the flow" rather than just do the obvious - "no thanks, no help required unless we ask", that's if you get a chance before being thrown about by their uninvited and unwelcome actions.

Edited by mark99

We've clearly been very lucky - we've had no unwelcome help during our travels (apart from the occasional bloke of a certain age that seems to assume that because I don't have a willy I also don't have a brain). Likewise I'd like to think our assistance has always been happily received, though I do engage the crew of the boat in the lock in polite conversation before I wield my windlass and I always check how fast they're happy with the paddles being raised and make eye contact with the steerer before I start cranking the paddles.

I know we're still relatively new to the waterways but we have done a lot of miles and a lot of locks in the four years we've lived aboard and I'm surprised that folk who only take their boats out for a few weeks every year (obviously not referring to you Dean) experience so many woes during that time. Their mindset maybe? Looking for problems where none would exist if they just chilled out a little?

Just a thought :)

Oop ere some of these locks are in reet bad order, projecting masonry a-go-go. And some of em are savage, if someone chucks open the ground paddle on the wrong side, my 60' narrowboat can be thrown against the other wall hard enough to break me whippet's leg.

Down on the soft canals with tin pot locks I agree that not much can go wrong. I usually do these narrow ones by handing the windlasses to any passing louts and then either going for a shower or making a quick stir fry. But oop ere I get flooded just by leaking gates, never mind some chump opening the gate paddle to an empty lock. Watch how carefully Barry does the 5 rise.

Having a 72' boat makes this much less faff, there's not really anywhere to go when the paddles are drawn.

The only problem we have ever had was a zealous volunteer lock keeper at Foxton who opened the paddles before the bottom gates were fully closed and trapped the stern button fender between the slamming closed gates.

As far as I'm concerned a boat should always be moving, either forwards, upwards, or downwards. Any sitting still is an inefficient waste of time. The best people to share wide locks with is a group of hireboaters in a hurry to get back to base!

Well said Ange!

Ps just noticed that Ange! looks like Angel without my glasses. Co-incidence?

Hehe my mum did name me Angela because she says I looked angelic when I was born.

A lot has changed since then :D

Having a 72' boat makes this much less faff, there's not really anywhere to go when the paddles are drawn.

The only problem we have ever had was a zealous volunteer lock keeper at Foxton who opened the paddles before the bottom gates were fully closed and trapped the stern button fender between the slamming closed gates.

As far as I'm concerned a boat should always be moving, either forwards, upwards, or downwards. Any sitting still is an inefficient waste of time. The best people to share wide locks with is a group of hireboaters in a hurry to get back to base!

Hi FTS, could of points re full length.

1) If, when going up, someone opened the gate paddle before ground that could be an issue as with a full length you as you say have got no-where to go?

2) Now this is rare I admit, but it DID happen to me. On a deep staircase, I was going down and nearly through and someone (behind me) sent the water behind me rushing over the upper gates (behind my boat) now the volume, noise and force of this water coming over the upper gates was scary like niagra falls - but having a 62 foot I went more forward right to the bottom gate but the force of the water hitting the surface was dragging me back towards the niagra falls effect so I had to use a fair engine revs to maintain position. If you had a full length it would have been a sinking. By the time someone had worked out which paddles needed to be shut above, the water would have overwhelmed any boat stuck against the rear gates.

My mum called me Nicholas because I wasn't wearing any when I was born. Not much has changed since then.

No doubt still wearing nappies then!!

I work locks for a living,only about 8 thousand of them a year, however I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject, after all you must know better as you have one of those "caracture" replicas

I work locks for a living,only about 8 thousand of them a year, however I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject, after all you must know better as you have one of those "caracture" replicas

I'm amazed there are 8000 locks on the system, you learn something every day! Well bully for you, but I don't really get your point other than a gratuitous insult.

Maybe you feel better now? Or maybe still drunk?

I don't recall saying there was 8000 locks on the system ,common try prising that narrow little mind open, you may even be able to figure it out!,

"I work locks for a living, only about 8000 of them" to me means you work 8000 locks, which presumably must therefore exist. On the other hand, if you meant you work 1 lock 8000 times, that means you really have a massive amount of experience! NOT! Anyway, you just want to be rude for the sake of it and I can't be bothered with your petty insults. Missus giving you trouble is she? (assuming anyone would have you with behaviour like that!). Maybe you should go to beddiebies now so that you can stay awake for your gripping 8001st identical button-pushing lock operation of the year.

Edited to add that I note you are a Thames lock keeper. When we visited the Thames a couple of years ago, we noted that in general the lock keepers were officious, patronising, rude and obnoxious. So I can see how you would fit in well and enjoy your job! When we visited the Weaver recently, we noted how absolutely charming, helpful and pleasant those lock keepers were and we said at the time "EA should send their lockies on secondment to the Weaver to be taught how to behave towards their customers". But I guess that would be cruel to those nice Weaver lockies though!

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1