3 "The One Plan" Sim only, £15 a month from tomorrow.

carlt

Featured Posts

I think 'all you can eat' is a different contract to 'the one plan'

Also the sim can only be used in a phone, dongles use data only sims

not always I have had an Iphone t-mobile sim in my dongle (using a holder)for a year with unlimited data

hence the reason I ask

Short answer: yes.

as said elsewhere I have used phone sims before so why?

ok point taken but one doesnt know how much data he was using, fair use still applies even with all you can eat.

easy way out would be to tether but I dont have an unlocked phone to use....

not always I have had an Iphone t-mobile sim in my dongle (using a holder)for a year with unlimited data

hence the reason I ask

as said elsewhere I have used phone sims before so why?

I was referring to the 3 network, don't know about other networks but I reckon they will be doing the same if not already.

ok point taken but one doesnt know how much data he was using, fair use still applies even with all you can eat.

True, but it would have been far less than infinity, which is what this contract seemingly offers.....

A bit more Googling revealed this:

http://ask3.three.co.uk/srvs/cgi-bin/webisapi.dll/,/?new,kb=mobile,ts=mobile,t=casedoc.tem,case=obj(1883),varset_username=Mobile:mobileUser

I just renewed an 18 month contract with 02. For 15 quid a month I get unlimited texts, 600 mins of calls to any UK land or mobile number and 500mb of internet on my phone. I think I can do tethering but not sure if my data allowance would be sufficient? I don't really need to do that at my mooring as there is free wi-fi.

When I got to my new mooring I realised that the signal in the boat was weak and I have to lean the phone against the window to get 3G and have it on speakerphone. I called 02 to complain and they've agreed to charge me a tenner a month. I think that's ok.

I don't get free phone upgrades on this contract.

Edited by blackrose

They can do unlimited because tethering isn't allowed, sim only to be used in a phone so that it acts as a throttle. They have means of detecting tethering. I don't think you can beat the system, but good luck.

I think I can do tethering but not sure if my data allowance would be sufficient? I don't really need to do that at my mooring as there is free wi-fi.

You can tether but it would suck 500Mb dry in no time.

They can do unlimited because tethering isn't allowed, sim only to be used in a phone so that it acts as a throttle. They have means of detecting tethering. I don't think you can beat the system, but good luck.

Tethering is allowed on The One Plan and there is no "fair use" limit.

We’re calling it All-you-can-eat Data, and it’s not like anything you’ll see from anyone else. Unlike other data plans, there are no restrictions and no crafty ‘fair usage’ policies containing hidden data caps. We’re leaving behind the ‘old mobile’ world of limits and allowances in favour of a new world that gives you the freedom to use your smartphone to do everything it was designed for without the worry of cost.

Edited by carlt

"The One Plan" (SIM Only) appears to be a good deal at £15 per month on a 12 month contract and £18 on a monthly contract (2000 minutes, 5000 text & AYCED).

One note of caution. Whilst you can tether a smartphone on the plan and have AYCED, if you use too much data you find instead of the "tap running at pressure it drips". You still have AYCED....... but it's painfully slow because the connection is throttled!

One note of caution. Whilst you can tether a smartphone on the plan and have AYCED, if you use too much data you find instead of the "tap running at pressure it drips". You still have AYCED....... but it's painfully slow because the connection is throttled!

I have not found that at all and I use it for downloading large amounts of data and streaming movies and TV.

I have not found that at all and I use it for downloading large amounts of data and streaming movies and TV.

I think it also depends on where you are, and also when. It seems that previously there was no issues, either because the Three network had sufficient capacity or if it didn't, everyone's network slowed down a little. These days they use more sophisticated network management which means they can throttle back people using phone SIMs in dongles, tethered phones, phones accessing mobile internet stuff and dongles (using a mobile broadband SIM) differentially. The network, being a dynamic system, means its difficult to say for sure what happens once capacity is reached and obviously Three wouldn't reveal massive amounts of detail of what occurs if/when their network is flaking out, but anecdotally there is evidence this is happening.

...but anecdotally there is evidence this is happening.

I guess I must be lucky then because, whilst there are many occasions where I have had my "superfast" Virgin broadband slow to a crawl I have never experienced this with 3.

As far as I am aware, when the system is overloaded a data sim is given priority over a phone sim, so most of the time a phone sim seems fine and maybe the difference in speed between the two isn't very noticeable. When I have a good O2 signal on my smartphone I do notice an increase in speed if I then switch to wif from our 3 network MiFi. Can't see why they don't do unlimited with a data only sim but do so with a phone sim unless they are able to throttle back the phone sim.

They're not going to give anything away for free, has to be a catch somewhere.

Edited by nb Innisfree

I've been on the one plan 20 pounds 1,month rolling for over a year .I find it very good have never been throttled,but speed does vary a lot on signal strength. If you use in a dongle youll get away with it for a while then they block it from working in a dongle but still works in a phone. I find a tethered phone as good as a dongle.

Regards kris

You can tether but it would suck 500Mb dry in no time.

Tethering is allowed on The One Plan and there is no "fair use" limit.

True but the sim can only be used in a phone so they have the option of throttling it back.

I've been on the one plan 20 pounds 1,month rolling for over a year .I find it very good have never been throttled,but speed does vary a lot on signal strength. If you use in a dongle youll get away with it for a while then they block it from working in a dongle but still works in a phone. I find a tethered phone as good as a dongle.

Regards kris

But if you switched your tethered phone to wifi from a 3 data only sim in a dongle or mifi etc would it speed up?

I think 'all you can eat' is a different contract to 'the one plan'

Also the sim can only be used in a phone, dongles use data only sims

T-Mobile allows me to make calls and send text via my computer dongle.

True but the sim can only be used in a phone so they have the option of throttling it back.

They may have that option but I have yet to experience it.

They certainly don't throttle back because of any covert fair usage limit or I would have certainly noticed it by now.