Star City

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Star City is the sort of place that is my idea of hell but we moored overnight without a problem. I went in earlier to buy a paper only to discover that the W H Smith branch doesn't open until 11am so I am a mite vexed which might cloud my judgement, however................

On the non canal side of the gate, locked with a BW key, Free@last are advertising 'kayaking, canoeing and coracle activities' at £4 for 15 minutes between 12 noon and 7pm.

There is room for, I guess, 3 boats on the pontoon and there is space to breast up but I'm wondering if this is another Upton on Severn situation? I turn up on my boat wanting to moor and find I can't because the pontoon is in use by a commercial concern.

There are no notices on the canal side apart from the usual 24hr mooring ones. The Star City pontoon is an important mooring. Its a good place to stop overnight on the journey across this bottom bit of Brum

Am I getting my knickers in a twist about nothing?

Over to you team.

SAM (at Star City, obviously)

Star City is the sort of place that is my idea of hell but we moored overnight without a problem. I went in earlier to buy a paper only to discover that the W H Smith branch doesn't open until 11am so I am a mite vexed which might cloud my judgement, however................

On the non canal side of the gate, locked with a BW key, Free@last are advertising 'kayaking, canoeing and coracle activities' at £4 for 15 minutes between 12 noon and 7pm.

There is room for, I guess, 3 boats on the pontoon and there is space to breast up but I'm wondering if this is another Upton on Severn situation? I turn up on my boat wanting to moor and find I can't because the pontoon is in use by a commercial concern.

There are no notices on the canal side apart from the usual 24hr mooring ones. The Star City pontoon is an important mooring. Its a good place to stop overnight on the journey across this bottom bit of Brum

Am I getting my knickers in a twist about nothing?

Over to you team.

SAM (at Star City, obviously)

We've eyed up Star City a few times but never liked the look of it for an overnight stop. The locals call it Scar City for obvious reasons!

Certainly never seen any tiny boats there. Even if there was some of the activity you mention, surely it doesn't involve tying up the pontoons for more than a few minutes? So if you are there first, you are there first, and if you arrive when its in progress (unlikely) you would probably only have to wait a few minutes to get alongside.

I would much prefer the moorings at the top of Camp Hill, cuckoo wharf or central Brum.

I agree it's a good mooring -- we've stayed there, albeit in the winter, and had a quiet night. But it's not one of those moorings that frequently full. In fact, it usually seems to be completely empty.

Free@last appears to be a charity rather than a commercial concern, and from their website the kayacking etc appears to be on offer to kids. I'd have thought that anything which gets the local children using the canal is probably a good thing. It would be interesting to know what type of agreement they have with CRT about the use of the pontoon.

So now we have an escalation, people moaning about things that might happen rather than things that are happening. I ask - is it just a matter of time before forum members start moaning about things that could happen?

If so can I be the first to ask that CRT remove the spaceship that I am certain will land on the Shropshire Union and why don't they have plans in place to stop it?

And the herd of cows that will be in the canal in Shipley - is something going to be done?

As a local, the more common name for it is Stab City.

"The complex developed a reputation and become known as "Stab City" due to a stabbing incident soon after its opening. A small police unit was constructed at the entrance to the complex's car park although this has since been demolished and the site developed into a McDonalds drive-thru"

Modern life is just too complicated for me.

Edited by Chris Pink
  • Greenie 1

If so can I be the first to ask that CRT remove the spaceship that I am certain will land on the Shropshire Union and why don't they have plans in place to stop it?

To be fair the spaceship landing is one of the main reasons CRT/BW have prevented marina development on the Shroppie and allowed so much online mooring which has directly contributed to upsetting NickNorman so every cloud, and so on...

To be fair the spaceship landing is one of the main reasons CRT/BW have prevented marina development on the Shroppie and allowed so much online mooring which has directly contributed to upsetting NickNorman so every cloud, and so on...

Maybe if they diverted the SU around the place where it will land in a timely fashion, they could use the subsequent crater for more offline moorings. I think I might email Suzie about it.

I have moored overnight there, and it was very peaceful

Richard

Every time I suggest it, Jeff vetoes it. It's because he does a lot of running, and having run around the towpaths of Salford Junction (not far away) reckons there are too many dodgy people about. I say they are just selling drugs and not interested in narrowboats, but he is not convinced!

My OP wasn't a moan, more of a wonder.

It would be interesting to know what type of agreement they have with CRT about the use of the pontoon.

Quite. Who has first dibs when the pontoon is full?

Its gone 11:00 now so I can get a paper smile.png

Changing the subject slightly, there was another boat on the pontoon overnight and a hire boat has just stopped and left. Perhaps they were after a paper as well!

Quite. Who has first dibs when the pontoon is full?

I like your optimism, but as I said before there's seldom a single boat there, let along a pontoon-full.

Edited by adam1uk

You could always join me in wondering about the imminent Shroppie spaceship.

mmm.....

Wonder if there's any money to be made making, and selling banners, welcoming our off planet visitors to the shroppie.................

So now we have an escalation, people moaning about things that might happen rather than things that are happening. I ask - is it just a matter of time before forum members start moaning about things that could happen?

Tsk Tsk.

That's just the sort of complacency that got us into the mess we are in today.

Why wait for something to happen before you start moaning about it?

Spent a very quiet night there last summer. No other boats (which sums up our experience of most of the rest of the BCN apart from central Brum). Usual chain food outlets if that's your thing. Bought a book on quantum mechanics in WHS!!

Cuckoo wharf looked ok but a bit desolate on the way back, so we pressed on to Perry Bar top lock (also quiet), there was too much graffiti at Aston Science Park to be in our comfort zone.

Not optimism, experience

Richard

In general I agree with you. However, we encountered a very dodgy pair at Camp Hill earlier on this year. Hanging around but would not make eye contact and generally looked threatening when we said hello. Ditto there are drug dealers around Salford Jn and generally such people don't welcome idle chitchat, though as I previously mentioned probably not interested in a narrowboat either.

Every time I suggest it, Jeff vetoes it. It's because he does a lot of running, and having run around the towpaths of Salford Junction (not far away) reckons there are too many dodgy people about. I say they are just selling drugs and not interested in narrowboats, but he is not convinced!

Your significant otter (assumption alert) is showing a marked lack of resource, there. I don't see what is incompatible with a desire to run and "dodgy characters". On the contrary, I would think they would assist such endeavour. I suggest Jeff makes impolite references to their mothers the next time he passes, he'll clock a personal best.

• Greenie 2