So What Have We Missed

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Other than that everyone thinks we are barking mad, that there isn't much stopping us doing it and we have pretty much thought over the majority of the problems with the move.

My major concern is still losing the cruising that we do now. We like to head out at the drop of a hat and wouldn't want to lose that.

That sounds valuable to know

Richard

Yes it could be done

Our last 2 sea boats, being a Targa 38, and then a princess v40, we had long stays and found the cockpit with a good fitting hood to be nice and warm even in winter. if the suns out surprising how the sun warms the cockpit up.

we had twin kad 43s but when pricings on diesel started to go up, we gave up Sold up

good old days red at 12p per litre

our next step would have been to buy a fly bridge as a bit more room,

or buy a trader 41+2 good solid boats still semi planning seen these go a lot cheaper now, a lot of boat for the money and a lot of potential for fitting out to your spec.

Never had a problem with condensation on grp boats, but living on them would be better as there be constant air movement helping to maintain a ambient temp anyway

Why a sunseeker 38 though?, around that price older in year, you might be able to get the princess 46,

few of them made but what a big big boat

Speaking the other day who has a sealine f36 in burton waters filled it up £600!!

It was a shock to hear sealine going bust, but having spending lots of time in the Solent being so busy packed with motor cruisers having to pre book berths at Cowes years ago,

totally different now. Spending some time in Cowes and Weymouth last year, hardly any cruisers just Yachts

I imagine that the fuel cost has hit boat sales,

we always loved the fast boats could fit a lot of miles into a weekend

now days don't have to get into work, so now lots of time to potter about

When on canals rivers at displacement speeds, makes it so much better on the pocket

Sorry I'm blabbering on a bit, your posts got me reminiscing on fantastic weekends on the coast

all the best

col

Best of all worlds Grandbanks, ckip, trader,

all the best

col

Edited by bigcol

My major concern is still losing the cruising that we do now. We like to head out at the drop of a hat and wouldn't want to lose that.

Theres no reason not to go cruising, and the best bit is you dont need to pack.

For me there was no point in living on a boat if it wasnt cruisable, Static caravans are a much better choice if you dont want to move

I have a mate who worked for Sunseeker in the 90's. He was the bosses 'right hand man' and we got to go out for a short sea cruise on exactly this model. Boy did she move when he opened up the throttle. I'd imagine you have to secure all your posessions beforehand as it was a bumpy ride.

I'd never entertain the idea of having one as a liveaboard but each to their own and if that's what you both want then why not go for it. Mind you i'd think it must use a heck of a lot of fuel so going out on it could be costly.

This boat is completely unsuitable for a live aboard. The roof is completely the wrong shape. All your carefully accumulated crap will fall off.

But with more closely-spaced guard rails she could be safely piled up with rooftop crap to a height of several feet. Think positive.

Very true. We have just about the right balance of tinkering and cruising time at the moment but we will have to take into account that the new boat will be about ten years older so tinkering time will no doubt be increased.

Day to day household chores we dont expect will take us any longer then they do now. After all we will only have a boat to keep clean and tidy instead of a boat, a house and a garden!

What? Liveaboard & no planters on the roof!

Edited by Taslim

Theres no reason not to go cruising, and the best bit is you dont need to pack.

For me there was no point in living on a boat if it wasnt cruisable, Static caravans are a much better choice if you dont want to move

Why is that? There are plenty of people who live on boats but don't want to move. If they enjoy a largely static river, canal or even marina lifestyle then that's fine with me.

Edited by blackrose

I have a mate who worked for Sunseeker in the 90's. He was the bosses 'right hand man' and we got to go out for a short sea cruise on exactly this model. Boy did she move when he opened up the throttle. I'd imagine you have to secure all your posessions beforehand as it was a bumpy ride.

That is another point - could it be that in general some liveaboards are a bit more careful with their boats, because it's their home and it's all they've got?

I'm not saying one can't be careful on a big, fast GRP cruiser with a powerful engine, but perhaps the OP's notorius liking for speed might be somewhat tempered by this new circumstance, in which case one wonders what the point of a fast boat is in the first place? Of course a boat like this can go to sea where you might need that power, but having just taken my boat up the Bristol channel I think that taking one's home onto potentially rough water can contribute towards a sense of vulnerability - but perhaps that's just because I'm not used to it and my boat is not suited to that environment.

Edited by blackrose

Why is that? There are plenty of people who live on boats but don't want to move. If they enjoy a largely static river, canal or even marina lifestyle then that's fine with me.

and good luck to them, I was replying to Rachael who didnt want to lose her cruising time which was also a factor for me when buying a boat, Id looked at a few big tugs at Hoo on the Medway without engines and as far as i was concerned you get all the disadvantages of living on the water and little if any of the benefits so I wouldve chosen a static caravan in preference to a Houseboat or static Boat.

As you know, there is no need to stop cruising just because you live aboard

Because we are looking for ideas of things we had not thought of as lives boards.

We were thinking more practically and looking for ideas from current liveaboards.

You will need somewhere to keep the coal.

NC did they make the covers from fresh or copy the existing one?

Ta

Lynall

From fresh to our design.

This boat is completely unsuitable for a live aboard. The roof is completely the wrong shape. All your carefully accumulated crap will fall off.

There won't be any crap on the roof!

I'd never entertain the idea of having one as a liveaboard but each to their own and if that's what you both want then why not go for it. Mind you i'd think it must use a heck of a lot of fuel so going out on it could be costly.

About one and a half times what our current boat uses so no great problem there.

We currently use about £1k of diesel each year so will budget for more.