Fenny Stratford Lock

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

I think you and your daughter may have got unlucky.We have a permanent mooring just below the lock at Fenny, so are obviously there a lot, and see much use of lock and swing bridge.I have never yet seen anyone associated with houses or pub display any angry behaviours at all, (although I have seen some boaters do fairly stupid things, including opening the gates and entering the lock without moving the bridge out the way first!).

You have just reminded me of our early boating days. Our first longish trip out took us from Crick out to here, we were just getting used to locks and bridges when we arrived here...wife went ahead to lock and returned asking why there is a bridge in the lock? Oh and had a lovely chat with a couple who lived in one of the houses .

Ian.

Someone from pub, or a house dweller?

chap in the 'ouse opposite the pub.

The house over the road next to the pub are real nice people,recognise me now, say "where you nicked that boat from then...with a smile " they see me on that many different boats - proper canal folks to me as they notice whats going through and who.

Until recently I used to pass through this lock on a regular basis.

As I recall a few years back it was normal practice to leave the bridge open to navigation.

There was a dispute with ramblers association and a lock was fitted so that it would normally left open to bridge traffic.

The lock, opened with a BW key was difficult to manage. One needed to hold the key turned in the lock while at the same time lifting the heavy bolt.and push the bridge at the same time. SWMBO could not do it by herself, and people, although capable but unfamiliar with the way it operated, struggled!

This is a salient point because a good proportion of boaters using the lock were hirers from Wyvern, many only just becoming familiar with locking but encountering a swing bridge/lock combination!

I understand that James Griffin of Wyvern Shipping offered to fund an overhead footbridge to satisfy the ramblers but this was rejected.

Without the lock the bridge operation is easier and SWMBO can manage it (She is now 72 years of age)

I have normally found the locals there to be pleasant and helpfull.

The only trouble we had was when a man (note the absence of the prefix Gentle-) Swore at SWMBO. We were going down the lock, and SWMBO opened the top gate paddles then went straight to the bridge and swung it open. This man, sitting with a pint outside the Red Lion shouted at her falling her a stupid f*****g C**t saying she was doing it all wrong she is supposed to wait until the gates were open before swinging the bridge. When she went back to open the gates he got up and swung the gate back. I had seen the bridge open and SWMBO and the wife of the boat behind us opening the gates. I had turned round to indicate to the boat behind to go ahead. I I turned back in time to see the bridge shut but I think the other boater was concentrating on the gap between my boat and the far side gate. He was unable to avoid hitting the bridge but with much reverse revs and choking engine smoke, he lightly nudged it.

The unsavoury character slinked off back to his pint and never offered to help SWMBO swing the bridge back again. Poor SWMBO then got chastised from the steerer of the other boat for shutting the bridge again. when she protested that she ,he went on telling her that she should have dropped the bolt so it would not swing back. It took intervention from the other steerers wife who had seen what happened to get his apology. He then asked to cross my deck and strode towards our unsavoury character, who picked up his pint glass and entered the pub. A shout then, to say that the bottom gates were opening, put an end to any probable violence.

We worked both boats together in an unusually practiced and efficient manner from there all the way to Stoke Breurne, during which time he never stopped seething. (We went on through the tunnel and we never saw thim again.

That was about 18 months ago when I moved to new moorings and I have never been back by boat since.

SWMBO is a Glasgow girl and she has heard all the "language" before, but even in Glasgow the blokes clean up their language when there are women present. She was quite upset

Edited by Radiomariner

They are a highly militant ramblers association. I still clearly remember the TV coverage they got when they staged a mass demonstration on the bridge, with a long line of ramblers (many of them pushing people in wheelchairs and proclaiming that when the bridge was opened it was discrimination against the disabled) continually crossing and recrossing the bridge to campaign for it to be closed after using the lock.

When the bridge was first commissioned it needed the use of a BW key. This caught out many boaters who kept their BW key on the same ring as their ignition key, and caused problems when boats were travelling in each direction as you couldn't get your key back without shutting the bridge. People were often unwilling to just swap keys with the waiting boater in case the one they received didn't work properly. Thankfully the key is no longer needed and the bridge swings fairly easily.

It was the same association which formally complained to the Parish Council that people were living on their boats on two of the four offside moorings at Stoke Hammond where we are. Their objections included the observation that boats spoil the views of the canal and that allowing people to live on them may result in "hordes of waterborne gypsies rampaging through the village". By coincidence the rambler who wrote the objection was also a member of the Parish Council at the time.

Is it the Monkey Puzzle Lock on the eastern K&A which also has a bridge across the middle? I understand that it is something to do ancient right of way? Though why they couldn't have moved the swing bridge further up or down the cut or even made a perminate bridge at the tail end I don't know!

Either way if you know you have to open then close the bridge it shouldn't be an issue, though it seems the issue is with non boaters who don't want us to use the canals for what they where built for, ie moving boats!

It was the Ramblers who protested that a footpath existed at Langley Mill, although in living memory the location had been a railway marshalling yard and Beggarlee Wharf. The County Council with the connivance of CART, whom I suspect had their own agenda, agreed and some thousands of pound were spent creating a diversion for a footpath which never existed. The result was that the boatyard, the owners of which created an amenity from what had been an opencast coal site on which no footpath was ever claimed. now has full public access. Very few 'ramblers' ever use the new footpath as it doesn't go anywhere except to the end of the boatyard. It is of course still used by the locals who were always able to access the site during normal working hours. CART do listen to people, just not the right people. Regards, HughC.

I think you and your daughter may have got unlucky.

We have a permanent mooring just below the lock at Fenny, so are obviously there a lot, and see much use of lock and swing bridge.

I have never yet seen anyone associated with houses or pub display any angry behaviours at all, (although I have seen some boaters do fairly stupid things, including opening the gates and entering the lock without moving the bridge out the way first!).

I need to correct the above post!

Whilst it is correct that I have never witnessed any problem behaviour here, Cath has just reminded me of something we were told.

One of the permanent moorers below the lock at Fenny, (a genuine one with a long term mooring, before anybody starts off!), has to take his boat through this lock each time he fills with water at the facilities above the lock.

Being a single hander, he needs to set the lock up beforehand, including moving the bridge to the open position. He then quickly goes to his boat and brings it in, (his mooring being only two or three boat lengths away).

Cath reminds me that he has problems with people putting the bridge back as he is approaching the lock. So he apparently now uses his own padlock and chain to secure it in the open position between when he has opened it, and his boat is then in the lock.

So I was wrong - there do seem to have been other "attitude" problems at this lock.

It is hard to believe people can be so petty!

I suspect a lot of the problem from that point of view are that the bridge is left open a lot so someone wanting to cross the bridge, seeing no boat in the lock, just shuts the bridge.

The bridge is very busy with people and cyclists and a lot are not very patient. I have also seen it in summer with boats going back and forward the bridge not being shut for ages and people getting really annoyed at waiting. That is less the people in the pub or the lock side cottages and more the (usually) cyclists that use the towpath.

Edited by Galeomma

I suspect a lot of the problem from that point of view are that the bridge is left open a lot so someone wanting to cross the bridge, seeing no boat in the lock, just shuts the bridge.

The bridge is very busy with people and cyclists and a lot are not very patient. I have also seen it in summer with boats going back and forward the bridge not being shut for ages and people getting really annoyed at waiting. That is less the people in the pub or the lock side cottages and more the (usually) cyclists that use the towpath.

Heaven forbid they could just walk over a set of closed lock gates as happens at other places on they system where a footpath crosses a lock.....there again people in South don't tend to think logically.....

Cheers

Gareth

Stopped in the lock earlier this year , whilst we emptied cassette and got rid of rubbish, boat on services. Took 2 mins but disarmed a couple of tuts with a smile. Nice guy at the end cottage who was a boater for many years , bought Canis from him many years ago

Heaven forbid they could just walk over a set of closed lock gates as happens at other places on they system where a footpath crosses a lock.....there again people in South don't tend to think logically.....

Cheers

Gareth

Never had a problem there myself. The road bridge is also only a stones throw from there, so I don't I understand why anyone would make a fuss about it.

Never had a problem there myself. The road bridge is also only a stones throw from there, so I don't I understand why anyone would make a fuss about it.

Thats a 350 yard stone throw, then if you wanted to visit the pub or anyone living near the lock, another 450 yards back.

I suppose that is a long way for some...especially after a few beers...

True, and quite a struggle to get a pushchair, wheelchair or bike up the steps to the main road - which is why its handy to have the bridge there.

We often go through that lock and would prefer it to be permanently open but it hardly causes a problem to open and shut it. Although last time we went through, I'd opened the gates to let my wife take the boat out, went back to close the bridge, walked back to close the gates and sure enough a boat came through the railway bridge - so then had to re-open the bridge!

True, and quite a struggle to get a pushchair, wheelchair or bike up the steps to the main road - which is why its handy to have the bridge there.

We often go through that lock and would prefer it to be permanently open but it hardly causes a problem to open and shut it. Although last time we went through, I'd opened the gates to let my wife take the boat out, went back to close the bridge, walked back to close the gates and sure enough a boat came through the railway bridge - so then had to re-open the bridge!

Well if it's true that the ramblers managed to get CRT to change priority on the bridge, I doubt they would have a problem walking up the steps. I'd totally understand it if CRT were lobbied by the less abled or by parents of young families (maybe they were).

The problem with boats suddenly appearing after shutting bridges and gates happens to all of us everywhere, it's good that most of us are only too happy to re-open them...

Edited by bassplayer

Cheers

Gareth

I am not really changing argument but wish to point out that i think that most locations where towpath changes sides there is a bridge (for the horses. Wouldn't like to see a horse cross a lock gate!)

Edited to add: - I just remembered tow path does not change sides at Fenny.

Edited by Radiomariner

Well if it's true that the ramblers managed to get CRT to change priority on the bridge, I doubt they would have a problem walking up the steps. I'd totally understand it if CRT were lobbied by the less abled or by parents of young families (maybe they were).

The problem with boats suddenly appearing after shutting bridges and gates happens to all of us everywhere, it's good that most of us are only too happy to re-open them...

I do recall on one occasion in sympathy letting a group of cyclist's cross over my aft deck (and of the boat sharing) because there was a queue of boats in both directions. The cyclists were extremely grateful.

Apart from those ramblers demonstrations I have never encountered folks in wheelchairs needing to use the bridge. Cyclists on the far side needing to cross I should imagine would be fit enough to dismount, cross over the gate, swing the bridge and walk back for their bike.

I personally am quite content with the present situation but get pissed off with people who "demand their rights" particularly when it is in conflict with the "rights" of others! Common sense, calm, and courtesy should prevail. Temper, foul language and spiteful action never resolve anything!

Edited by Radiomariner

I am not really changing argument but wish to point out that i think that most locations where towpath changes sides there is a bridge (for the horses. Wouldn't like to see a horse cross a lock gate!)

Edited to add: - I just remembered tow path does not change sides at Fenny.

I was more on about public footpaths crossing the canal at a lock. There is at least one on the Chesterfield and several others we have come across on our travels...I've just remembered newark lock on the Trent. Bothe the above examples are very busy with people and buggies...and although those examples have wider footways people just use the other gates if they are in a hurry.

There are several on the weaver as well.

Cheers

Gareth

• 5 years later...

Many years since the op made this post about my darling and now late husband.

You are wrong to call him/us unpleasant, we moved to that cottage because we loved, loved the canal and our dream was to be on a canal boat in the next couple years on retirement.

Did we bore of people shouting at six am on the weekend outside our bedroom? Sure. Wouldn’t you?! Did we tire of people leaning up against our house, peering through our windows? Sure. Does that mean we didn’t deserve to live where we did or had something against boaters?! Get an actual grip. 

We were more than patient with every and all boater who left the swing bridge open every time they went through the lock; even if they saw old ladies, people with dogs and bikes waiting to cross. How do you know one or both of us didn’t have a condition which made traversing an open wet lock with shopping dangerous. You don’t own the canal just as we didn’t. Have you never lost your temper after a bad day? Of course you have. As I say, get an actual grip. You posted this in 2013 and I’m raging reading it now in 2020!!!! 

Shame on you for calling out my wonderful husband who absolutely adored where we lived and was loved by many locals, pub goers and canal folk alike. 

P.S. And yes. You should have bloody shut the bridge. ;)

Edited by fennylock

Well I'm still here and still remember the abuse.

Completely uncalled for and he was not carrying shopping.

I dont attract attention for using locks incorrectly as I dont. This was quite a surprise when it happened. 

Let it rest, and seek help if you can't.  

3 hours ago, fennylock said:

Many years since the op made this post about my darling and now late husband.

You are wrong to call him/us unpleasant, we moved to that cottage because we loved, loved the canal and our dream was to be on a canal boat in the next couple years on retirement.

Did we bore of people shouting at six am on the weekend outside our bedroom? Sure. Wouldn’t you?! Did we tire of people leaning up against our house, peering through our windows? Sure. Does that mean we didn’t deserve to live where we did or had something against boaters?! Get an actual grip. 

We were more than patient with every and all boater who left the swing bridge open every time they went through the lock; even if they saw old ladies, people with dogs and bikes waiting to cross. How do you know one or both of us didn’t have a condition which made traversing an open wet lock with shopping dangerous. You don’t own the canal just as we didn’t. Have you never lost your temper after a bad day? Of course you have. As I say, get an actual grip. You posted this in 2013 and I’m raging reading it now in 2020!!!! 

Shame on you for calling out my wonderful husband who absolutely adored where we lived and was loved by many locals, pub goers and canal folk alike. 

P.S. And yes. You should have bloody shut the bridge. ;)

Good evening, I felt the pain in your post, and I am so sorry you are bereaved and upset.

I have no axe to grind in this tale, I have used Fenny lock many number of times but not for at least 30 years.

I imagine the unusual circumstances that are present at this location are likely to cultivate irritation and short tempers, however I see little benefit in dragging it all up again after this much time.  Except perhaps to allow you to vent your fury at the comments that were placed at the time.  I hope you feel better for that.

Having read the thread, I see no positive identification of anybody except the boaters, so you appear to recognise your husband through the descriptions?

You mention all of the irritations you endured (which are similar to those boaters endure also) however I would remind everyone concerned that two wrongs don't make a right.  Yes we've all tried not to lose our temper after a bad day, some of us succeed.  Surely you can anticipate how the recipient of the vile language described above would feel?  I think that getting a grip is advice that should have been banded around 7 years ago.

I am sure we are seeing only a snapshot of a tiny part of your life together and, as you say, that your "wonderful husband who absolutely adored where we lived and was loved by many locals, pub goers and canal folk alike".  Sadly one of the unquestionable facts of life is that we are remembered sometimes for some of things that truly don't reflect us in the best of light. 

I try to educate those who need it rather than rant abuse at them, I'm not always successful, but there you go.  Perhaps it's for those failings that I'll be remembered.

I truly hope this matter can now be put to rest, and that all parties concerned have a more realistic understanding of how to interact when things don't go their way, even if it's only those that witnessed such unfortunate behaviour and can pass on the learning to following generations that use our wonderful canals.

• Greenie 1

On 04/06/2013 at 11:36, furnessvale said:

Swinging the bridge in the face of an approaching boat would IMO be endangering the safety of persons on the canal. On the railways this is a specific offence, which in the correct circumstances can carry up to life imprisonment.

Specific offence or not, if someone swung a bridge close in my face when it was obvious that I was approaching to motor through, I'd call the police. No time for idiots like that who think they can force their own will upon others. And if they turned up the aggression in response, they'd almost certainly end up in the canal. The benefits of being fit, active, young, blunt, northern and intolerant of 'heads.

If shit behaviour isn't challenged at every opportunity, it will flourish.

Edited by tehmarks
multiple posts