Crick - did you buy anything?

Kwacker

Featured Posts

Bought a few small bits and pieces but nothing significant. Our Shoreline mini chest freezer has never worked properly, although the fridge is brill. Ali collared the main man on the Shoreline stand and after some discussion, ( I had to walk away!), he agreed to swop it for a new one, if it will fit. Result,,,,,if the promise is honoured. We shall see!

That's why they were packing up early Monday afternoon

We didn't spend that much on stuff for the boat this year - we probably already have all that we need! As always it was nice looking round the latest offerings from the boatbuilders and, in my opinion, the boats displayed by Steve Hudson were probably the best all rounders - especially in terms of build quality and finish. I particularly like the "British made" theme that Steve has introduced to his advertising material. I don't know if it is my imagination but this year's boats all seemed to have a very shallow draught - with the result that, in many cases, there was insufficient headroom for anyone over six feet tall. I was unable to stand up straight in the engine room of one of the Hudson boats and I think this is a pity because that particular engine room was very nicely arranged with a very tidy JP3 power unit.

Some of the food stalls were a bit of a rip off and the quality was dubious - we enjoyed a nice portion of Paella though but we reverted to our boat for most of our meals. Nevertheless, it was a great show made better by the sunshine and we will be back next year.

. .

Some of the food stalls were a bit of a rip off and the quality was dubious -

What a master of diplomacy and understatement you are Graham, to be sure!

When we went in 2007, we bought a riveted boat.

At least we thought we did until Alan Fincher pointed out that they were merely washers welded onto the hull sides.

I've never forgiven him for shattering our illusions!

Edited by Doorman

As long as the welding is good and the washers are Imperial rather than Metric :) - what does it matter? Raised rivets whether real or applied are just as valid in terms of decoration as are Roses and Castles on the door panels.

If all boats were built to be purely functional with no decorative embellishments the canals would be exceedingly boring . . .

As long as the welding is good and the washers are Imperial rather than Metric :) - what does it matter? Raised rivets whether real or applied are just as valid in terms of decoration as are Roses and Castles on the door panels.

If all boats were built to be purely functional with no decorative embellishments the canals would be exceedingly boring . . .

Try telling that to Alan....... :-)

Well, originally they were - it's just that the boatbuilders of the 19th and early 20th centuries, just like the best CME's of railway companies, created something which combined functionality with being aesthetically pleasing.

Well, originally they were - it's just that the boatbuilders of the 19th and early 20th centuries, just like the best CME's of railway companies, created something which combined functionality with being aesthetically pleasing.

And we too can have our boats built to be functional and aesthetically pleasing - some even paint their boats mauve! It all goes to make the Inland waterways colourful and a totally splendid experience to boot!

Grammatical error corrected! It must be Pimms 'o clock

Edited by NB Alnwick

It is of course all to do with the air draft. Steve likes to keep his boats low, and at 6'4"+ I can't stand up in the main part of the standard boat, let alone the engine room and back cabins with their raised floors. We had the cabin sides extended on ours so that I can stand up, obviously the downside is more air draft but its still not too bad.

Surely it would have been cheaper to have had your legs shortened.

:)

MtB

We had a great time, I love an outdoor show of any kind and when the sun is shining, it's even better!

We went to Crick last year as newbies, I think we went for a looksee on the Friday, bought our boat on the Saturday and went back to Crick as boat owners on the Sunday, so it was all very exciting albeit last years weather was a joke. Last year, we didn't really know what we'd need so we went back this year as seasoned boat owners (laugh.png ) and could find nothing at all that we needed or wanted!

Even the brand new boats held no charm. I wouldn't have swapped any of them for ours! We did talk to some builders and look at some sailaways, I think one day we'd like to fit one out from (almost) scratch. We also bought a cute little hearth brush for £2 from the antiques stall, I got a years supply of biros and bought my dad a Waterways World subscription for Fathers Day. He's still reading last year's Crick issue, so I think a new one a month is money well spent, it's his favourite mag. Also got some of the half price Christmas cards, and a couple of the Muddy Waters books that my nephew loves.

We had a lovely Cornish Pastie and a couple of beers in the sun, and watched the world and their dogs go by. Not sure if we'd go again next year but I'm glad we went this year and I hope all the traders had a good do because last year must have been a washout for them.

And we too can have our boats built to be functional and aesthetically pleasing - some even paint their boats mauve!

Mauve, Sir? 'Trojan', to which I assume you are referring, is purple - and her livery is based on one which was used by commercial operators in the 1940s if not before. (O.K., the Cambridge blue lining is the boat painter's aristic licence, but the purple and cream are as per original as depicted in the book 'Colours Of the Cut').

I didn't go so saved £50 on fuel + admission + didn't then buy expensive poor food + didn't buy more stuff that I really don't need + wife didn't buy a shed load of stuff from the scroat stalls.

I did however get the show discount code for a Hurricane boiler. So in all I suspect by not going and the discount I've saved close on £400.

I must not go again

Surely it would have been cheaper to have had your legs shortened.

:)

MtB

I had that done (in the womb) and fear that a post womb job would be very costly, not to mention shortening all of your trousers and long Johns to suit. Then there's the pair of stilts you'd have to invest in simply to get served at the bar.

Mauve, Sir? 'Trojan', to which I assume you are referring, is purple - and her livery is based on one which was used by commercial operators in the 1940s if not before. (O.K., the Cambridge blue lining is the boat painter's aristic licence, but the purple and cream are as per original as depicted in the book 'Colours Of the Cut').

And a very nice colour it is too! Even R W Davis have painted a boat in something resembling that fine livery, 'Osirus' which if I recall correctly also has a well deck at the fore end - the exception proves the rule! But perhaps we should call the colour "Improved Narrow Boat Green" . . .

True, it is cheap to have ones legs shortened eg by using a chainsaw, but it can be quite costly to clean up all the mess afterwards.

I wouldn't recommend shortening legs - I once tried to shorten the legs on a table but I found that I had one leg shorter than all the others which caused it to rock!

So I shortened the other three legs but then I found that I still had one leg shorter than all the others which caused it to rock!

So I shortened the other three legs but then I found that I still had one leg shorter than all the others which caused it to rock!

After repeating this operation many times, I ended up with no legs at all and a completely useless piece of furniture . . .

And a very nice colour it is too! Even R W Davis have painted a boat in something resembling that fine livery, 'Osirus' which if I recall correctly also has a well deck at the fore end - the exception proves the rule! But perhaps we should call the colour "Improved Narrow Boat Green" . .

Only if I change Trojan's name to 'Stroudley'.

Incidentally her livery is based on that of Chance & Hunt of the Black Country, who used to run tugs called Stentor and Hector inter alia.

Trojan's is either a semi-well or semi-raised deck depending on one's point of view. I wanted the full raised monty but an Important Crew Member reckoned she might fall overboard when sitting basking on deck, so a compromise had to be made. Ironically, she has since fallen into the cut, admittedly from a bicycle and not from the boat.

I wouldn't recommend shortening legs - I once tried to shorten the legs on a table but I found that I had one leg shorter than all the others which caused it to rock!

After repeating this operation many times, I ended up with no legs at all and a completely useless piece of furniture . . .

Not a problem with people, as having only two of the things they can't "rock". Done badly enough they might fall over on level ground, or only be able to walk around a mountain in one direction, but "rock" they won't.

and this, ladies and gentlemen is the story of how they invented the tray.

Indeed!

Not a problem with people, as having only two of the things they can't "rock". Done badly enough they might fall over on level ground, or only be able to walk around a mountain in one direction, but "rock" they won't.

Oh I don't know - I have met a few Rockers in my time . . .

Only if I change Trojan's name to 'Stroudley'.

An argument that may not be understood by everyone on this forum . . .

Off topic altogether but I am absolutely amazed at the excellence of the mobile Internet signal where we are currently moored between South Kilworth Road Bridge and the Junction with the Welford Arm on the Leicester Section of the GU. This was one of my favourite spots 55 years ago when as an eleven year old I could watch steam trains and the occasional working narrow boat. The old sand quarry near Bridge 40 had an 18" gauge railway still extant and complete with side tipping trucks and a turntable on the wooden wharf that we used to play with - alas all that has long gone but the canal is still here . . .

An argument that may not be understood by everyone on this forum . . .

Nowt wrong with a little esoterica.

I just had a look at forum member Andy Watson's on-line account of building his replica Chance & Hunt tug. He has now reached the painting stage and, worryingly, the boat is green and grey. So perhaps I got the C&H colours wrong. If so, I blame the late Edward Paget-Wotsisname, as the C&H boat depicted in his book 'The Colours Of The Cut' is definitely a purple job.

we came, we saw, we bought ....

we didn't buy any food - although it looked better than previous years if a bit pricey - we always bring a picnic lunch as we have to take our purchases back to the car at some point anyway....

had a couple of coffees(instant) at £2 - but we could have done without them so not complaining.

I'm amazed by the boat related trade people who don't have anything to actually buy on their stands - e.g hempel and rylard not a can to be bought yet Craftmaster selling their exorbitantly priced paint like if was going out of fashion...

bought my lister filters etc from the nice fellas at Marine engineering Services (a stand that sells) - said hi to my insurers (one of the few you can speak to face to face) quite happy with my brand new 110Ah domestics for £65 each and some nice brightly coloured mooring lines at £1.50/metre (I can do an eye splice myself)

Had a look round a few of the boats and am amazed at the price differences (a 25ft Nb for £52K ? ) could nearly have bought the 60x 12 fat boat for that... (was it £57K can't remember ?)

I exhibited at Crick last year, dutch barge winches, bow stars, small castings and other boat stuff that I make and we did better than many, i.e. we broke even allowing for van hire and all the other costs, decided it was probably not worth the bother, I think it needs to decide whether its a sort of Sunday market or a dedicated boat show, it`s expensive if you are not a big operator.