Length of Boat How to Measure for Licence /Moring Fees Etc

mark99

Featured Posts

Hi Again,

Boat advertised as 60 foot - where do you measure it from? (note it's registered I was told as 70 foot as an error - it's clearly not 70 foot).

As the boat is lifted, I've mangaged as best I can with 15 foot tape to measure from end of rudder tip to end of nose fender and it's between 62 and 63 feet. Of course shell is less than this - more like 61.

TIA excuse silly typo in title banned.gif

Edited by mark99

we brought our boat as advertised as 53 feet but when surveyed it was 52 feet

BUT when at the end of the Oxford the turning point said max 52 foot so we thought we could turn but was too long by about a foot and a bit

so had to go onto the Thames to turn around

The only certain way to measure, lift out, and drop a line down from the front and rear.

To enlighten the inexperienced (like me) is that the front and rear of the fenders, the hull or the hull plus rudder, or whatever happens to be the furthest forward point and the furthest "rearward" point?

A "57ft" boat is that, I.e. the boat shell is 57ft. Or should be. However, for mooring purposes C&RT expect you to include overall length including fenders. Other bodies will probably do so as well.

C&RT are quite clear about this in their T&Cs.

Edited by dor

A "57ft" boat is that, I.e. the boat shell is 57ft. Or should be. However, for mooring purposes C&RT expect you to include overall length including fenders. Other bodies will probably do so as well.

C&RT are quite clear about this in their T&Cs.

Then lift the fenders when moored. Our bow and stern fenders will both sit on the top if necessary*

Richard

*The bow fender likes to do this in broad locks anyway, the norty thing

Not content with the monster fees it already charges, our local marina, (now BWML owned), has a notice posted to say they are measuring all boats on their moorings to see that people are paying for the length boat they actually have.

I'm confident they will be contacting everybody they consider is paying too much, just as they will be everybody they believe is paying too little.

How does this work for "Loddon's" suggestion of go cart tyres as rear fenders? Is the measurement taken "compressed" or "uncompressed", I wonder?

I would typically go for the overall lenght of the steel work of the hull, aka, sans rudder and fenders and fractionally longer then the waterline lenght.

But its not trivial to measure, and there are boats that are quite a bit longer, or shorter, on paper then they might be in reality!

Daniel

Rear fenders you can remove but on some boats, there's a big lump of steel welded to the counter projecting out to double protect the rudder. I guess this is part of the shell too cos you can't remove that. (Seen on a lot of hireboasts).