Any ideas what to do with our old propeller

Woodstock

Featured Posts

We had to have a new propeller and I have the old one.

At the time, I thought about making it into a clock, but I'm not really sure how?

Does anyone have any ideas of a creative use for it?

You can buy clock mechanisms (quartz) in eBay. I reckon it would make a great clock. Or if real big and brass sell for scrap!

How do you get the second hand blade past the hour and minutes blades?

I think the idea is that the blades show 12, 4 and 8 o'clock Roger ;)

imo would make a nice clock if mounted on a white background

Do you have a car? You could attach it to the back somehow and then enjoy the confused look on peoples faces as they wonder if it's amphibious.

When I was a nipper I remember going into a garage in central London (somewhere behind Harrods it was) and on a raised plinth just as you went in was a row of these - obviously there for some sort of show or something, but it's always stuck in my mind...

When I was a nipper I remember going into a garage in central London (somewhere behind Harrods it was) and on a raised plinth just as you went in was a row of these - obviously there for some sort of show or something, but it's always stuck in my mind...

I've always wanted one of those, finding slipways to get it in and out would be a pain in the ass but they're so pretty. I remember seeing a company a while back that were converting 4X4 pickups (I think they were either Toyota Hilux or Ford Rangers, something like that) into amphibious vehicles, with one of those you really could go anywhere. They weren't even close to as pretty as the Amphicars, though.

At the time, I thought about making it into a clock, but I'm not really sure how?

Melt it down and recast it as a windlass. It'll go for good money on Ebay!

With my luck if I tried to make a clock from it it would prove to be a propeller that rotates anti-clockwise!

Ours does!

N

Hi- Its 13inch. I wondered if I could fix a movement through the centre, with long fingers moving around the front. It seems a bit complicated now

Buying the movement is no problem. Extending the drive for the hands to pass through the length of the hole is a little more difficult.

Nick

out of interest, what happened which meant you needed a new prop?