Anthracite: How do you get it to burn ...

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

Down to the last sack of Ovals, and a half bag of Anthracite I never got on with back in November. With any luck (today's beautiful!) I won't need any more.

Basically, I have tried to fire up Anthracite 'from scratch' (fire starters beneath good amount of kindling with Anthracite on top) to no avail. Even sprinkling Anthracite over an already deep and hot bed of red glowing Homefire Ovals doesn't seem to get it to burn. It just remains there after the fire's gone out as black, glassy chunks of stone.

What's the trick? What is this stuff?

Down to the last sack of Ovals, and a half bag of Anthracite I never got on with back in November. With any luck (today's beautiful!) I won't need any more.

Basically, I have tried to fire up Anthracite 'from scratch' (fire starters beneath good amount of kindling with Anthracite on top) to no avail. Even sprinkling Anthracite over an already deep and hot bed of red glowing Homefire Ovals doesn't seem to get it to burn. It just remains there after the fire's gone out as black, glassy chunks of stone.

We have had great succes mixing it with Excel, as the weather gets colder increase the percentage of anthracite.

Anthracite is really a high heat output furnace fuel and needs to be burnt more brightly and fiercely with much more bottom air than other stuff. It won't really just tickover gently without going out. Once its shut down to a dull red you'll probably have trouble reviving it. Its best to mix it with something free'er burning.

Anthracite is really a high heat output furnace fuel and needs to be burnt more brightly and fiercely with much more bottom air than other stuff. It won't really just tickover gently without going out. Once its shut down to a dull red you'll probably have trouble reviving it. Its best to mix it with something free'er burning.

Used to know a vet once whose party trick was to ignite 'bottom air.' He once made the mistake of doing it in a cow house that had just been freshly strawed down and nearly had the whole lot on fire. Somehow I don't think that this particular flatulent milker was over impressed.

It's great. I use it almost exclusively now. Best bet is to get a good fire going first, wood or ovals, put the anthracite on, when you put some more on, riddle it hard, more the better, not like ovals. Unlike Bizzard I find that glowing anthracite will keep going but it's easier if you bung some dry wood on first, there's still a lot of heat left in it.

We got some of this and it lead to a major domestic dispute. Gillie said throw it away but I said there must be some way to make it burn.

Gillie was correct!

Homefire ovals might be expensive but worth every penny!

...........Dave

Anthracite is almost pure carbon, and creates more heat and less ash than any other coal. It's therefore good value for money. However, it has to burn hot, so it's great when you need a really hot fire, but hopeless if you try to turn the heat down,

Don't throw it away, just add it to another fuel when you need lots of heat. And always start the fire with something else; anthracite is a pig to light.