FLOATING HOMES STILTON

fastcars

Featured Posts

Hi does anyone know of any problems with the hulls integrety on widebeams made in early2000 by floating homes of stilton ?

would appreciate any info thanks john

A steel wide-beam hull will always be a better bet than one made from cheese.

(Coat!................)

A steel wide-beam hull will always be a better bet than one made from cheese.

(Coat!................)

Since the invent of the cheese slice, re-plating is now much easier than steel.

(also off for coat!.....)

Hi does anyone know of any problems with the hulls integrety on widebeams made in early2000 by floating homes of stilton ?

Should be ok, unless they slipped in a bit of emmental.

That's an unusual question, I wonder why you are asking it

Are you buying a boat or do you own a boat with problems?

Richard

Not exactly what you asked but I have a friend with a floating Homes Narrowboat shell and he has not mentioned any problems other than a big lump of filler falling out of a dint in the hull, looked as if someone ran into it with a forklift truck.

There's quite a bit about them on the forum back when "the boat builder that cannot be named" was associated with them (I've forgotten his name now so it appears to have come true).

Search "Floating Homes" or "Darke Steel" and you should come up with something.

A lot of Ownership boats were built and fitted out there (Pat Buckle is the name you can't recall)

The one we had a share in gave no problems other than a tendency to overheat a bit on rivers. We added a second skin tank which sorted the problem.

Regards

Pete

A lot of Ownership boats were built and fitted out there (Pat Buckle is the name you can't recall)

The one we had a share in gave no problems other than a tendency to overheat a bit on rivers. We added a second skin tank which sorted the problem.

Regards

Pete

Did Pat use Floating Homes?

Wand'ring Bark is a Floating Homes hull from 2003 and I have no complaints about the integrity of the construction. Its good quality 10 - 6 - 4 gauge and so far the hull has very little corrosion. My only criticism would be that although the welding is sound, the welds were not ground off and were very obvious until I gave it some serious attention when I repainted it 6 years ago.

Wand'ring Bark is a Floating Homes hull from 2003 and I have no complaints about the integrity of the construction. Its good quality 10 - 6 - 4 gauge and so far the hull has very little corrosion. My only criticism would be that although the welding is sound, the welds were not ground off and were very obvious until I gave it some serious attention when I repainted it 6 years ago.

Peter and Kevin Bellaire built shells at that time to a price that precluded time spent grinding welds. Generally they represented value for money.

Is your boat not based on a hull built by Andicraft?

Ian.

Did Pat use Floating Homes?

Possibly an assumption on my part as they all share the same site. At least I thought they did as when passing by the Stibbington site that's how it looked. I now realise that Floating Homes is Stilton which is not on the river at all.

Regards

Pete

Edited by pearley