Not impressed with boaters today

DeanS

Featured Posts

Anyone know what the story is?

No idea - but you bet your bottom dollar if one of those HB's hits him he'll be on here to moan about it.....

Seriously though to be fair he just could be there with the permission of the Trust for a number of valid reasons.....

Edited by The Dog House

No idea - but you bet your bottom dollar if one of those HB's hits him he'll be on here to moan about it.....

Seriously though to be fair he just could be there with the permission of the Trust for a number of valid reasons.....

Looking at a picture on CanalPlan it seems he's been there since 2007 so maybe he does have permission??

http://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/showstuff.cgi?mode=photo&id=46d4_1

Edited by IanM

Looking at a picture on CanalPlan it seems he's been there since 2007 so maybe he does have permission??

http://canalplan.eu/cgi-bin/showstuff.cgi?mode=photo&id=46d4_1

Doesn't necessarily mean he has been there all that time though, In fact I'm not certain it's even the same boat.....

and it could be said the hire co. are causing as much of a problem by breasting their boats like that.

46d4_1.jpg

Edited by The Dog House

Doesn't necessarily mean he has been there all that time though, In fact I'm not certain it's even the same boat.....

and it could be said the hire co. are causing as much of a problem by breasting their boats like that.

He wasn't there last year when we came through.

I agree there may be a good reason, but it's not as if there isn't plenty of both VM and LTM just a couple of hundred metres away.

Chris, it's not a problem getting one boat through, but the area between there and the lock is always pretty busy what with the water point, the winding hole and the lock, not to mention hire boats all over the place. We had to hold back whilst two of them came through on a calm day - if it had been windy it would have been all kinds of fun.

Is there an argument that UK Hire (aka ABC, aka Viking) shouldn't be allowed to keep so many boats at that location if they can't avoid half blocking the cut? Should the canoe club be allowed to block such a long section of potential mooring at that spot? (Though as I say, there plenty of space to moor nearby both above and below the lock, that's why it's odd this one has been left where it is.)

As I say, I'm just curious rather than grumpyreally, being nosy I guess.

I agree this is fine but not to stay in their left of the channel and not move over at all. The Macc inparticular is very low at the moment and after a day of having to pole off the shelf it gets very frustrating when the other crew just look at you as if you are total novices!

When the channel is particularly narrow and/or shallow by far the easiest way is for both boats to stay right in the middle of the channel until about one and a half boat lengths apart. Both boats then steer a little to the right, and as if by magic they dance around each other, passing by inches, and both end up back in the main channel afterwards.

On the other hand if you are going to steer your boat right into the shallows/undergrowth when I'm half a mile away, what possible reason would I have to move over when we actually meet?

On the other hand if you are going to steer your boat right into the shallows/undergrowth when I'm half a mile away, what possible reason would I have to move over when we actually meet?

Did have this once where we met a boat on a bend and the on-coming boat decided the best course of action was to head straight for the nearest tree and let the branches remove all the aerials, life-ring, etc from the cabin roof even though there was at least a boat's width between us as we passed :)

When the channel is particularly narrow and/or shallow by far the easiest way is for both boats to stay right in the middle of the channel until about one and a half boat lengths apart. Both boats then steer a little to the right, and as if by magic they dance around each other, passing by inches, and both end up back in the main channel afterwards.

Nope............I've re-read my post and nowhere does it state that our boat was steered into the shallows/undergrowth when the other boat was half a mile away.

And today? no problems whatsoever...............

We have helped many a boater thinking that they were single handed, only to then spot their other half sipping tea comfortably inside the cabin.

We now ask in advance before removing the word 'mug' from our foreheads.

I have been caught like this and I am a single hander. It's not that I mind helping people out but I hate being taken for a ##. I can do that quite well enough on my own!!!

Edited by DHutch
Inappropriate language.

I have been caught like this and I am a single hander. It's not that I mind helping people out but I hate being taken for a ##. I can do that quite well enough on my own!!!

Can't understand why Daniel has blotted out the word 'mug'........... :-)

yes this is what I find. Southern Uk culture is decidedly more individualistic and self centered. This is seen in behaviours like those described as well as things like not bothering to lower paddles and close gates after leaving a lock, pushing in at locks, particularly on the Thames, not slowing down for moored boats, going through locks alone even when it is obvious when the boat approaching behind is also using the lock, using locks out of synch. and thus wasting water, the list goes on. I moved to London 15 years because I had to for work and the friends I have are all non-English because no matter how hard I have tried, people down here don't want to bother getting to know you unless there is some advantage to them in doing so. "Why don't you leave then?" I hear you say. Well, I am doing, I give up on the place, it's socially shallow and frustrating. Sorry to any southerners, I know this is a gross generalisation and there must be many exceptions, it's just I have not met any myself. I have tried.

It would be easy to climb alongside here and join in with the southerner bashing, but for a change I'll resist as we met a lovely couple recently whose manners were impeccable and they both went out of their way to be friendly. I suppose the way northerners are is as much as a conversational piece with people south of Birmingham as they are with us.

I would hope that boating would be a great leveller and no matter where boaters originate from, they should all lean towards the common courtesy shown in days gone by. It doesn't cost money or time to be like this, only a little bit more thought.

It would be easy to climb alongside here and join in with the southerner bashing, but for a change I'll resist as we met a lovely couple recently whose manners were impeccable and they both went out of their way to be friendly. I suppose the way northerners are is as much as a conversational piece with people south of Birmingham as they are with us.

I would hope that boating would be a great leveller and no matter where boaters originate from, they should all lean towards the common courtesy shown in days gone by. It doesn't cost money or time to be like this, only a little bit more thought.

Perhaps the couple might be northerners now in the south?

Or, southerners who've learnt manners having spent time up north?

Perhaps the couple might be northerners now in the south?

Or, southerners who've learnt manners having spent time up north?

Lol,

Who knows, but they were very polite and keen to make conversation with us two hobbits.

• 2 weeks later...

What is inappropriate about whatever it was I said Daniel?

It would seem that English is now inappropriate language. To many softies in this world

Can't understand why Daniel has blotted out the word 'mug'........... :-)

Probably because I didnt say 'mug' I dont remember what Was in there but I would assume that if the person who complained is that senitive they shouldnt be on a boat!!! Edited by Maffi

Probably because I didnt say 'mug' I dont remember what Was in there but I would assume that if the person who complained is that senitive they shouldnt be on a boat!!!

Lol,

I guessed that it wasn't the word 'mug' but something more descriptive.

I too share your concern about the fragility of some on here, but also appreciate that there will sometimes be children with access to the forum and out of respect for that matter, try to mask the full spelling of the swear word. Incredibly and totally humorously, Bizzard recently posted a comment where he included the word 'tw*t' in its entirety, but masked the word 'pee' with other symbols.

Only Biz would do that. :-)

Having 2'8" draft we find the best thing is to stick firmly to the Hudson channel and head straight towards the oncoming boat, relying on our superior steelwork to brush the other boat off in the event of a collision. After all, if we moved over we might run aground or, worse, scratch our immaculate and shiny paint. We do have to be careful though, if its a cast iron loaded working boat we do move a bit, although if its a blue one with decking on the front we know not to bother.

I sometimes wonder about this using words and trying to disguise them from children. Any child who has reached a sufficient reading age to be fluent in reading this forum will know all the words (and perhaps some we haven't thought of) they will recognise the disguised word for what it is and in their head read it as if the word had been written in full.

To me there are only two things to do 1. not use the words in the first place or 2. Realise that any attempt to disguise them fails.

If it fails and children read the word as what it is intended is there any point in disguising it?

I sometimes wonder about this using words and trying to disguise them from children. Any child who has reached a sufficient reading age to be fluent in reading this forum will know all the words (and perhaps some we haven't thought of) they will recognise the disguised word for what it is and in their head read it as if the word had been written in full.

To me there are only two things to do 1. not use the words in the first place or 2. Realise that any attempt to disguise them fails.

If it fails and children read the word as what it is intended is there any point in disguising it?

When I was about 8 during the school run in mother's car with some school friends, I used the F word that I had heard recently at school. Mother was not impressed but spent the rest of the journey telling us EXACTLY what the word meant. Much embarrassment and I didn't do that again!

What is inappropriate about whatever it was I said Daniel?

It would seem that English is now inappropriate language. To many softies in this world

Probably because I didnt say 'mug' I dont remember what Was in there but I would assume that if the person who complained is that senitive they shouldnt be on a boat!!!

Or maybe not on here

Having 2'8" draft we find the best thing is to stick firmly to the Hudson channel and head straight towards the oncoming boat, relying on our superior steelwork to brush the other boat off in the event of a collision. After all, if we moved over we might run aground or, worse, scratch our immaculate and shiny paint. We do have to be careful though, if its a cast iron loaded working boat we do move a bit, although if its a blue one with decking on the front we know not to bother.

If I didn't know you better, I'd suspect that you were being provocative towards a certain Mr Fincher! :-)

When I was about 8 during the school run in mother's car with some school friends, I used the F word that I had heard recently at school. Mother was not impressed but spent the rest of the journey telling us EXACTLY what the word meant. Much embarrassment and I didn't do that again!

F**k me!

That must have been embarrassing.

ETA 8! How can you remember that far back?

Edited by Doorman

In reading your response, I quite agree and can only think that in my particular case, it eases my guilt when trying to disguise the naughty word. But sometimes the use of expletives serves to underline ones inner feelings about a particular subject, or answer on here.

I shall endeavour to refrain from the use of such words in future, but please forgive me if I laugh when others use them, especially if it's Bizzard.

To add to this thread we arrived at Birstall Lock on the River Soar today and proceeded to work through. A hire boat arrived at the top of the lock two fellas got off, stood at the side of their boat chatting and let us do all the hard work (some of the locks on the Soar are not easy). After we had filled the lock opened one gate and dropped the paddle one guy walked over said "Good Morning. that was good timing!" To which I replied "Good morning and thank you for all your help!" as I stepped on the back of the boat with the OH.

Its not the first time that we have come across hire crews who think its fine not to offer any help. I do wish hire firms would at least mention its polite to ask!