Not impressed with boaters today

DeanS

Featured Posts

I actually prefer to work a lock by myself. Another boater turning up and 'helping' totally screws up my routine makes me feel out of control of the process. Rarely speeds things up either.

When working a flight and being followed up by another boat I generally backset for them, unless they seem to be catching up with me in which case I stop!

MtB

• Greenie 1

I actually prefer to work a lock by myself. Another boater turning up and 'helping' totally screws up my routine makes me feel out of control of the process. Rarely speeds things up either.

When working a flight and being followed up by another boat I generally backset for them, unless they seem to be catching up with me in which case I stop!

MtB

Works for me too! Greenie.

I did once take charge of a lock on the Napton Flight and started ordering the crew about.

I thought it was the right thing to do as the water was lapping over the front door step.

Saved it!

We came up a small flight of wide locks with the butty 3 days ago,the boats behind had a large crew.one of them came and "helped" us up,(thay did not catch us up) when i said thankyou he said "we had no choice you were holding us up!". If thay was in that much of a rush thay only had to ask and we would have let tham past.We do on narrow locks as we have to do each one twice!

If we help another boat thro a lock we always let them take the lead drawing paddles etc. On flights like Watford it amazes me how some people will just sit in their boats in a queue! It seems only natural to ask the lockie if they want help and offer to reset locks etc. Have found tho that its seems to be getting less common to help each other but maybe I'm getting old n grumpy!

Cheers

Gareth

It's pretty obvious when a boater is single handed. He (she) is the only one working the boat, and working the locks. Wether somebody else is on the boat is immaterial, they may have a very valid reason for not being out on deck.

For me, help is offered as it is received. Gracefully, and freely. To and from all.

I dont think that not wanting to step outside in the rain or put ones cup of tea down counts as a valid reason though.