CC’rs digging in possibly?

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Well I've met you Julian and know you for a good chap, don't believe you're being in any way nasty, but I have to say I wouldn't be too happy if that was my boat in one of the pictures, tongue in cheek or no.

I see photos of peoples boats on this forum taken by the non owner plenty of times and I doubt permission has been granted??

I see photos of peoples boats on this forum taken by the non owner plenty of times and I doubt permission has been granted??

I was wondering what the difference was between those we often see posted and these. One difference I can see (which isn't usual) is no boat names or numbers are visible which makes identifying them a little less likely.

Julynian

I am sorry if I offended you and I do realise your post has light hearted, but I stand by what I said.

It is of course highly likely that these boats are adopting a creative interpretation of the 14 day rule.

There are many boats continuously cruising the KaA in a low profile way and moving not quite as much as they might (and who knows what that distance is). We also know that CaRT read this forum and also feel that CaRT sometime go for the soft and easy targets!

I guess I am guilty of applying my own morals here...

By all means please do publish photos of those who live on a lock landing and pile their discarded fit-out on the towpath, but be more cautious about exposing those who are just bending the rules a little! (good grief it could have me, we overstayed a couple of times this winter but I don't want CaRT seeing a picture of this!).

I think the same applies to what WrigglyFingers says, we all know that there are many "high usage" boats in Caan Hill (we had a week or two in there over Christmas) but its maybe not too wise to make this public. If the marina is happy its probably fine to live there as long as you have a month or two cruising away each year...but would the council agree?

It is of course a bit sad that we can't talk freely on our forum just in case and bad people are listening in, but that life!

..............Dave

• Greenie 1

Julynian

I am sorry if I offended you and realise your post has light hearted, but I stand by what I said.

It is of course highly likely that these boats are adopting a creative interpretation of the 14 day rule.

There are many boats continuously cruising the KaA in a low profile way and moving not quite as much as they might (and who knows what that distance is). We also know that CaRT read this forum and also feel that CaRT sometime go for the soft and easy targets!

By all means please do publish photos of those who live on a lock landing and pile their discarded fit-out on the towpath, but be more cautious about exposing those who are just bending the rules a little! (good grief it could have me, we overstayed a couple of times this winter but I don't want CaRT seeing a picture of this!).

I think the same applies to what WrigglyFingers says, we all know that there are many "high usage" boats in Caan Hill (we had a week or two in there over Christmas) but its maybe not too wise to make this public. If the marina is happy its probably fine to live there as long as you have a month or two cruising away each year...but would the council agree?

It is of course a bit sad that we can't talk freely on our forum just in case and bad people are listening in, but that life!

..............Dave

Agreed Dave, the council monitors the situation very closely (a friend is a housing officer at Kennet) so its not a secret that would be revealed on this forum though. The problem with Devizes Marina (and that at Trowbridge) are due to a horrible mix of official policy and vested interest.

There's a lot of moorings that are sold as one thing but turn out to be quite another under stress, particularly as the definition of residential seems peculiarly liquid to some people. I don't think that's exactly a mystery either.

Eta for those of you who dont know, I lived aboard at BoA for four years on a residential mooring which was anything but, and my attempts to persuade West Wilts council to accept my community charge are buried deep in the archives here.

Edited by wrigglefingers

It is now summer and the winter moorings have ended, haven't they?

Can you tell this to the man who makes the weather please.

Most boats are still firmly moored up here and the Easter rush was almost non existent. We had no more than 3 boats per day going past us,

I fear there are going to be a lot of unhappy hire companies unless things pick up.

I had assumed the boats in the photo were not on a visitor mooring, but maybe this in a new CaRT initiative in these hard times:

You pay us to moor for 28 days on the towpath out in the sticks, and please bring a strimmer with you!!!!!!!!!

.......Dave

I have nothing but praise for boaters who tidy up the bit of bank where they moor, whether they stay there just overnight or for much longer. I have been along stretches of canal where the towpath is so overgrown that going ashore to moor up would entail crashing through five-foot-tall nettles and other dense vegetation. I think there's a quite long but between Braunston and Napton which is like that.

I realise that some of these shaggy banksides may be sites of special scientific interest, but I'm sure that not all of them can be. So those who wield a strimmer or a pair of shears in such places are doing a favour to the next person who moors there.

We carry a pair of garden shears on Trojan and sometimes lop off bits of vegetation which get in the way. In particular, just below Cropredy Lock there's a weeping willow tree which seriously impairs visibility (on a narrow bit) so we try to chop the worst hanging-down bits off as we pass through there.

Edited by Athy

Julynian

I am sorry if I offended you and I do realise your post has light hearted, but I stand by what I said.

Hi Dave, fair enough no offence taken. In a round about way that's the point I was trying to get over. We heven't been on the water for 7 years I was just trying to make the point it's that things on the canal aren't as scary as I think the forum sometimes leads people to think.

Appreciatted.

First of all I was careful not to include boat names, the suggestion of overstay was meant to be tongue and cheek, and phoograph depicts an image not time and duration.

I was old by the marina this was the case, 3 months non live aboard per year. So I'm assuming that's what the council require or have agreed to.

You might note as well I didn't comment again on the marina, you have revealed more information than i did originally, I if you note I called it Foxhangers as well, as that's what it's known as locally :wacko:

As I said read posts more closely, I make the same mistake often and get the wrong end of the stick ;)

..............Dave

Edited by Julynian

You do not need permission to take any photo in a public place, and since a boat is moored in a public place there is naff all can be done about it.

You do not need permission to take any photo in a public place, and since a boat is moored in a public place there is naff all can be done about it.

I've lost count of the number of times we have have been photographed whilst out boating usually at locks, it's much the same for everybody I would say, as long as nobody posted a picture on here or somewhere else and then wrongly claimed that we were doing something wrong would any objection be valid I would say.

We were once forced by a culmination of circumstances to moor overnight with our bow line on the very first bollard of the lock landing at Thorne lock. Our stern was moored on the bank with a pin. The lock landing was completely clear (we made sure it was) and the bollard could still be used but I still fully expected to get snapped and posted up on here for committing some heinous crime.

We actually met another forum member at the time but we got away with it.....

Edited by The Dog House

You are absolutely correct, though many on this forum were not too happy when the IWA suggested its members take photos of boats who might be overstaying.

Boaters are generally a good bunch and look after each other so it would be nice to think that they don't publish too many photos of boats who are committing Minor indiscretions!

I am always bemused by people who move onto boats and then complain when people take pictures and ask questions; the canal is a public place and people come here to walk and to look at boats, boaters have to accept that they are to some extent public property.

There are lots of pictures of my boat on the internet which is mostly ok, but why do people take good photos of the boat and Gillie but such unflattering pictures of me????

..........Dave

Please do take pictures -

of any passing boat with broken windows

of any motored boat being towed after dark

of anything that looks not quite right

Keep the pictures safe, mostly they will be irrelevant, but once in a while they may help resolve a bit of criminality

Keep the pictures safe, mostly they will be irrelevant, but once in a while they may help resolve a bit of criminality

Sorry slightly :smiley_offtopic:

That's what I've started doing funnily enough. Been meaning to ask what's this all about, never seen it before and yesterday saw 2 boats with it within 100 yards of each other.

The other one was shorter and folded up into the gap which was wider on the other boat.

I'm guessing some type of fender, but why like this?

DSCF1955_zpsa5dcfc75.jpg

Edited by Julynian

That's what I've started doing funnily enough. Been meaning to ask what's this all about, never seen it before and yesterday saw 2 boats with it within 100 yards of each other.

The other one was shorter and folded up into the gap which was wider on the other boat.

DSCF1955_zpsa5dcfc75.jpg

There rudder and fender design is just like the Black Prince Hire boat design. The rudder shaft runs outside the counter. One could argue that this is a good idea since it means there is no wet tube in the counter running through the diesel tank to decay and let water in when you least expect it. The fender I guess is effective but ugly but does mean for a hire company not having to replace rope items every couple of years or so just bolt on a fresh and cheap bit of "D" section rubber every now and again.

DSCF1955_zpsa5dcfc75.jpg

probably to save money on the licence fee. Boat length when folded away is almost 2 feet less than when deployed saving a hire company with 35 boats a full length licence every year.

or could be a modern version of this.....

4720760407_07bd3c9efb.jpg

There rudder and fender design is just like the Black Prince Hire boat design. The rudder shaft runs outside the counter. One could argue that this is a good idea since it means there is no wet tube in the counter running through the diesel tank to decay and let water in when you least expect it. The fender I guess is effective but ugly but does mean for a hire company not having to replace rope items every couple of years or so just bolt on a fresh and cheap bit of "D" section rubber every now and again.

Nicely explained thanks. We have doubled up car tyres with a smiley face :lol: cheap & cheerful, literally :lol:

Appreciated it serves a purpose though and low maintenance.

I do recall when visiting our boat nearing the end of the build our Welder had welded some kins of disc to the stern to accommodate a fender. It was welded to the stern on 3 stems, he made a nice job of it but we didn't like i, it would simply be a rust trap so had it removed. But itt was there to attach a rope fender to I recall.

We have a nice wide front rope fender, but the tyres worked really well when last on the water so we'll stick with them.

OnTheAvon005.jpg

I think its a bit naughty to post pictures of peoples boats and infer that they are overstaying when it sounds like you don't really have evidence to back this up.

I recognise one of the boats, the narrow dutch barge, and although I think it "lives" on the K&A I have seen it in lots of places so I doubt if it is a true continuous moorer. Its also in a rather out of the way and uninspiring spot (though within walking distance of the wonderful "Devizes Steel" shop) so its not like its hogging a prime visitor mooring in Bath.

And it is Winter when the mooring rules are not enforced too enthusiastically!

And I don't think there are that many spots left in Caan Hill marina now, and its very likely that liveaboards are not officially allowed!

...................Dave

But none of that overrides the 14 day rule, nor does shuttling up and down a central point within a few days count as being. CCer.

This is good advice, where I used to work we always recorded the registration numbers of cars that drove slowly round the outside of our unit.

When reported to the local policeman more often than not he would tell us that it was a vehicle "known to the police".

I suppose these days he would reply (if at all) "thats a cloned plate".

Trouble is on the K&A most boats only moved when towed by another boat (only joking).

........Dave

And whilst the OP is intent on picking paragraphs apart, and poking fun, lets look at this from the OP:

"In the past week we've decided to start walking to get some exercise in readiness for going afloat, and where better than the canals which are just up the road"

Exercise? have you finally come out of your cabin and found you dont like the world around you?

Are canals up the road?

Is the 14 day limit for everyone or just continuous cruisers, i.e. if you have a permanent mooring somewhere else can you choose to stay longer than 14 days on the cut where no limits are specified?

Is the 14 day limit for everyone or just continuous cruisers, i.e. if you have a permanent mooring somewhere else can you choose to stay longer than 14 days on the cut where no limits are specified?

For everyone is my understanding and how I would base my time on a mooring on - we have a permanent mooring but the max we can stay in one place is 14 days unless there is a sign denoting a lower limit.

That said we have never stayed in one location for more than a few days.

Edited by The Dog House

A quick look at the CRT website confirms TDH's statement with these words.

Your boat's licence includes permission to tie up for short periods along the towpath when you take a break from cruising. A short period means up to 14 days, or less if there's a sign along the bank indicating something different.