Ice?

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Travelling down to the boat (near Tamworth) tomorrow evening (flights permitting) and hope to set off north to the Peak Forest etc for a couple of weeks. Does the team think the canals will be significantly iced up in the next few days? The iPad thinks its going to be very cold. Having spent a lot of money on 2-pack blacking last autumn, I really don't want to trash it!

Travelling down to the boat (near Tamworth) tomorrow evening (flights permitting) and hope to set off north to the Peak Forest etc for a couple of weeks. Does the team think the canals will be significantly iced up in the next few days? The iPad thinks its going to be very cold. Having spent a lot of money on 2-pack blacking last autumn, I really don't want to trash it!

I doubt if the canals will freeze. I wouldn't worry too much about trashing ice it melts away as if nothing happened to it anyway leaving no evidence..

A good way of finding out live local weather is to go onto the Flightradar24 site and set weather on its settings. It also of course tracks and describes most aircraft live throughout the world.

A good way of finding out live local weather is to go onto the Flightradar24 site and set weather on its settings. It also of course tracks and describes most aircraft live throughout the world.

Like now!!! There is a Monarch airlines Airbus A321 flight noZB75 about to land at Luton from Lanzarote.

Relax. The temperature won't stay low enough for long enough for the canal to ice over at this time of year.

Signed. Michael Fish

Do not be so sure. last week we had heavy snow and ice on the canal on the GU Leicester branch running up to Foxton and back.

Mind you only patchy ice and not very thick. The thickest part was at Norton Junction but it was still less than an inch.

Like now!!! There is a Monarch airlines Airbus A321 flight noZB75 about to land at Luton from Lanzarote.

Landed.

Anyone on a boat near Kegworth near East midlands airport will hear a DHL cargo Boeing 757 landing in about 10 minutes time from Milan, its flying over Leamington Spa at the moment.

Landed.

Singapore airlines Boeing 747 cargo from Dallas to Brussels tracking across southern England at 37,000ft, speed 601mph now!! . Looks lost. Its swinging about trying to follow the K&A.

Edited by bizzard

Singapore airlines Boeing 747 cargo from Dallas to Brussels tracking across southern England at 37,000ft, speed 601mph now!! . Looks lost. Its swinging about trying to follow the K&A.

Ice on the wings...................its going down..................

Are you watching it on ''Flightradar24'' too?

Its ok now sweat off its just departed our shores over Folkstone.

These aeroplanes operate just like flying insects yer know, they all appear at first light and buzz about all day long then all buzz off when it gets too dark apart from the odd cargo plane that can come buzzin about at anytime during the night to irritate us and buzz around our face in bed tickling our noses and sometimes alighting upon it like a Midge causing us to leap up to swat it, trouble is if a Midge turned out to be a giant one as big as an Airbus A380 it would need an awfully huge great newspaper to swat it. Perhaps one of those electronic tennis racket things would zap em. :mellow:

We were ice breaking on the Grand Union last week between lock 79 and 80. Just this pound for some strange reason.

The boat we were with went ahead and the crew were trying to break it with the barge poles as they went along, but the owner still felt he'd done quite a lt of damage to his blacking.

No reason it shouldn't return next week!

I think you will either be sat in your marina going nowhere or breaking ice Nick.

Your Ice-Pad is not telling porkies, it really is going to be that cold, or even colder. ....and is now looking like staying that cold until after Easter weekend.

The real cold is going to push down on Sunday/Monday and then we will see snow showers coming in from the East, Good Friday is also being mooted as a major snow event - even though these are hard to call this far out.

I think you will either be sat in your marina going nowhere or breaking ice Nick.

Your Ice-Pad is not telling porkies, it really is going to be that cold, or even colder. ....and is now looking like staying that cold until after Easter weekend.

The real cold is going to push down on Sunday/Monday and then we will see snow showers coming in from the East, Good Friday is also being mooted as a major snow event - even though these are hard to call this far out.

Unfortunately I think you are right! This time last year we did the S Stratford in a heat wave, and locating the sun cream was the only concern! Win some, lose some!

Edited by nicknorman

The best way to protect your blacking, is to crane your boat out, and put it on the bank.

I don't know how people put their blacking on, if it comes off that easy. I blacked my boat three years ago. After heavy, almost daily (ab)use, it is now getting somewhat tatty, and will come out this summer or next.