Ted Spencer boats

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Some Otter snapsIMG-20210408-WA0005.jpg.3c38595b38745f6a0a86be1790c7230a.jpgIMG-20210408-WA0005.jpg.3c38595b38745f6a0a86be1790c7230a.jpgIMG-20190803-WA0004.jpg.cd38010e6328e993b307a02ea53d9fae.jpg

IMG-20180917-WA0004.jpg

FB_IMG_1520887921784.jpg

Otter is now in Mirfield (Battyeford) Thatfella (Tessa); is in Doncaster. Atria we saw Bridgewater way and Perseverance on the L&L above Wigan.  Wonder where they were made.  Anyone know? 

• Greenie 1

Slightly odd if nobody knows. Was this Ted Spencer bloke someone who fitted out and perhaps modified shells produced by another fabricator. 

It looks a bit Les Allen but I don't think they ever added the washers. 

Certainly seems to be black country - Oldbury or Wednesbury area but anyone could build a boat like that to be fair. 

While I am not a fan of the washers I do think it is a nice item. 

8 hours ago, magnetman said:

Slightly odd if nobody knows. Was this Ted Spencer bloke someone who fitted out and perhaps modified shells produced by another fabricator. ..

No, I think he made the whole thing.  He has in the past popped up on here, perhaps he's still around and will enlighten us!

9 hours ago, Andy_B said:

Wonder where they were made.  Anyone know? 

I think they were built down on the southern bit of the Shroppie near Shebdon. 

Posting this from Atria. Moored in Huddersfield until the end of the week, but continuously cruise and have taken her all over the place. Had no idea there were so many of Ted's boats in Yorkshire! Last one I saw out and about was Lizard on the Shropshire Union, about 3 years ago now. 

9 minutes ago, Arf said:

I think they were built down on the southern bit of the Shroppie near Shebdon. 

Posting this from Atria. Moored in Huddersfield until the end of the week, but continuously cruise and have taken her all over the place. Had no idea there were so many of Ted's boats in Yorkshire! Last one I saw out and about was Lizard on the Shropshire Union, about 3 years ago now. 

Crikey, yeah, that's amazing.  We'll have to come by and say hello.  I was cycling along the Broad downstream from Huddersfield only the other day carrying gaskets for Otter. It looked a little short on water at the bottom end.

9 hours ago, magnetman said:

Slightly odd if nobody knows. Was this Ted Spencer bloke someone who fitted out and perhaps modified shells produced by another fabricator. 

It looks a bit Les Allen but I don't think they ever added the washers. 

Certainly seems to be black country - Oldbury or Wednesbury area but anyone could build a boat like that to be fair. 

While I am not a fan of the washers I do think it is a nice item. 

Are you sure that anyone could build a boat like that. 

There is a lot who have tried and failed

3 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Are you sure that anyone could build a boat like that. 

There is a lot who have tried and failed

Ted builds his shells in his garden,  by himself,  to his own design. He then does the full fit-out,  from engine, to painting and decoration. 

I believe Lizard will be his last, to keep for himself.  But he's said that before!

• Greenie 1

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, dawnsboat said:

Hi I just joined the forum when I found this thread we are possibly soon to be the owners of Ebenezer - have a ton of questions …..

Nice boat. Surprised its come up for sale so soon after Nick sold it.

4 hours ago, dawnsboat said:

Hi I just joined the forum when I found this thread we are possibly soon to be the owners of Ebenezer - have a ton of questions …..

Fire away then, see if between us we know anything! 

Back in the 60s, Ted Spencer worked as a boatman for Birmingham and Midlanc Canal Carrying, I knew him vaguely when I was in Gas St. He built the shells and, I think, did the fitting out too. I suspect that the styling was based on the working craft he was familiar with, perhaps Allen inspired.

• Greenie 2

8 minutes ago, Andy_B said:

How about this one?

image.jpeg.53a17276f2eb1ea1be7093bc7b29d7e6.jpeg

Definitely one of Ted's. That's Atria - I know because its mine! Moored near Dutton a couple of years ago I think. 

Edited by Arf

7 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Perky bow ,.possibly.

And the rings. They were made in a slightly mock tudor kind of way on the Hudsons.

If you look at the rings on ATRIA they are more functional looking rather than trying to be pretty.

Although to be fair the ones on OTTER from earlier pictures look a bit decorative so maybe wrong on this detail.

The bows of the green and black one and the stern cabin shape do look Hudson though.