Ted Spencer boats

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Boat builder Ted Spencer over the years has built ten tug style boats. He has no pictures of them and has lost track of their owners and their whereabouts. He'd very much like to like to have pictures of his boats. Can anyone help?

He is not even sure about the names of his boats, but Jim Shead's site reveals the following: Providence, Ebeneezer II, Cyprus, Otter and Tessa.

eta: sorry that should be Cypress.

Edited by koukouvagia

• 4 weeks later...

Just for the record I should like to point out that this blog is inaccurate,I have not requested any information with respect to pictures or locations of any boats built by myself.

I understand the post may have been made with good intentions,but feel its only fair to get the facts right.

Ted.Spencer.

• Greenie 1

• 8 months later...

Hi,

I found out yesterday that I also own a Ted Spencer B.C.N style tug called TIBER. Ted saw Tiber up for sale and emailed me to tell me that he built it in 88. Another one of Ted's boats has been found. It's on Apollo duck if anyone would like to have a look!

Hi,

I found out yesterday that I also own a Ted Spencer B.C.N style tug called TIBER. Ted saw Tiber up for sale and emailed me to tell me that he built it in 88. Another one of Ted's boats has been found. It's on Apollo duck if anyone would like to have a look!

The only downside being concerned passers by contacting the Conservators, thinking that it's sinking, when in fact it's not!

What is it called?

KKV, this was a bit of a mystery - you appeared to be helping Ted find photos of his boats, then he popped up personally and said that he didn't want them. Curiouser and curiouser.

You don't see many B.C.N style tugs, especially on the rivers so I guess they do stand out a little. When I drove her back from Bath there where lots of boats sitting nice and low on the Kennet and Avon. Low gunnels and high sides! I've been emailing Ted today, he was happy to see TIBER was alive and kicking. My add on Apollo duck went down briefly today but is now back if anyone is interested.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Thought I'd add a pre-repaint photo of Cypress, another (I believe) of Ted Spencer's tugs. 45' of happiness. No picture windows, no 240V, inside has that semi-permanent Eau de gazoil fragrance, wind, rain and sun in your face. Thank you Ted! IMG_8060.JPG.682e3340636738e420ab20d44cb268d1.JPG

• Greenie 1

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I remember OTTER being for sale just when I was first looking at narrow boats to buy for living on in 1993/4. It was a lovely boat. 48ft I think it was from memory and a JP2 in there. Nice interior. 

Due to the financial situation I had to wait a while before being weighed in (from a massive inheritance the likes of which is an unbearable burden) by which time that particular lovely boat was sold. 

I still remember thinking about it being such a nice boat and will always remember it. 

Nice boats those ones. Really nice. 

I ended up with a Tony Gregory (GM Engineering) boat which while similar did not have quite as nice lines as the Ted Spencer boats. 

Edited by magnetman

Cool. Absolutely definitely a teddy. You'll find another over the L&L, Perseverance iirc Accrington / botany bay way. Just finished rebuilding Otter's old lister, so hopefully see you out on the water soon.

We didn't get Otter until 2015 after a year of trying to find out where Atria had gone after she disappeared off Apollo duck.. Otter we found on eBay of all places!   Yes JP2M. There's one almost identical (the engine) in the Ellesmere port museum.  With a later engine number.  At least mine still runs!  Whats in yours?