Amazing what you find on the towpath!

Chop!

Featured Posts

I wouldn't use the expression to dampen the enthusiasm of an excited new boat owner who posts about their new toy on here, smiley or not.

Too true, I agree with you there. I meant in the context of this thread when Chris Pink used the comment. Oh perhaps Chris wasn't joking

Too true, I agree with you there. I meant in the context of this thread when Chris Pink used the comment. Oh perhaps Chris wasn't joking

He was sort of joking.

You must have missed my explanatory post:

To be fair, if you were a "forum elder" you would know that "what do you want, a medal?" is Mr Bargee's catchphrase when he (quite anally, in my opinion) wants to dampen the enthusiasm of a new boat owner who comes on here to tell us all about their new acquisition.

Chris was merely throwing Onionbargee's favourite expression back at him.

To imply "ganging up" is to suggest that there is some sort of collusion going on in a more private setting.

Perhaps if those who feel "ganged up" on had a more popular viewpoint they would be the ones accused of being the "Forum Mafia" as people start agreeing with them.

I think you are being disingenuous. To imply "ganging up" does not suggest any sort of collusion, private or otherwise. It suggests, in its usage here, the feeling that anyone not in the clique should not have the impudence to post whatever they did. Frequently something that elsewhere would have been seen to be humourous, or at least an attempt at humour. A smiley after the post is frequently a clue.

Apparently some posters on here can't handle smileys. Unfortunately without such things meanings are incorrectly taken. And some, even with a smiley still can't see the poster was not serious, he was being amusing. So, refusing to take the smiley at its intended meaning someone else rips into them and when exception is taken claims it was all in fun but they don't "do" smileys.

Urban Dictionary: butty-boywww.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=butty-boyCached - Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

A camp gentleman of Swedish origin, who likes it in the butty.

Rather strange that you take the time out to check the name of my boat. Thanks for the info, it was much appreciated i'm sure.

Just to also enlighten you.. isn't a butty the generic term for a boat with no engine, ie. one that may be towed ?

If you'd like to link it to Gay Swedish men, then i'd give your computer a wash before you use it again.

Also, just to confirm and perhaps enlighten you that i am indeed in now way connected to the 'lifters of shirts' (no offence to the camp chappies of this forum) but just to clear up this little misunderstanding.

Cheers, one love :detective:

Apparently some posters on here can't handle smileys. Unfortunately without such things meanings are incorrectly taken. And some, even with a smiley still can't see the poster was not serious, he was being amusing. So, refusing to take the smiley at its intended meaning someone else rips into them and when exception is taken claims it was all in fun but they don't "do" smileys.

Still being dense Dick?

You don't mind me calling you DIck do you, after all it is your name, rather than a description.

if you mean me, by your 'some', you are wrong, I knew he was joking, I would have probably known he was joking without the smiley.

Though as I say, the use of smileys, as you do, to be offensive is some pathetic passive aggressive way, is worse than the possibility of someone taking a comment the wrong way. After all my first post was absolutely nothing to do with you and, I am not sure, but I would be surprised if Junior considered it 'being ripped into'.

You, however, with your pomposity and stupidity, I will happily 'rip into' though I would never use such a cliched and weak expression.

ps nice bit of prose Butty Boy, you can sidle up to me any time you want.

I think you are being disingenuous. To imply "ganging up" does not suggest any sort of collusion, private or otherwise. It suggests, in its usage here, the feeling that anyone not in the clique should not have the impudence to post whatever they did. Frequently something that elsewhere would have been seen to be humourous, or at least an attempt at humour. A smiley after the post is frequently a clue.

I'm not sure you understand what "disingenuous" means (or are you just being disingenuous).

I believe the accusations of "cliques" is frankly ridiculous and faintly paranoid.

Everybody has as much right to post here as anyone else.

This is really starting to sound like the character last night who slagged off those with superior debating skills because they steered the discussion in the direction they wanted it to go.

We all post one comment at a time and I don't see why those who do it better should dumb down for those who struggle to keep up or feel overwhelmed by the level of debate.

I'm here for my entertainment, not anybody else's, just like you and everyone else so if you don'tlike my, or anyone else's, style I suggest you use the ignore function.

Still being dense Dick?

You don't mind me calling you DIck do you, after all it is your name, rather than a description.

Well, yes I do actually. It is not my name as you are well aware. I would be interested in knowing how you obtained it. Amazingly it would seem that we have a connection other than here and if you are using information gained there to use here I feel that a betrayal of trust might have occurred

I imagine in your own little way you consider yourself to be a fine fellow, making amusing cracks about my name. This was the sort of thing that went on in primary school which leads me to wonder if your mummy knows you are playing with the computer.

You have provided one example of a cliché but this was after your initial accusation. Perhaps you would like to give the example that caused you to make it in the first instance. Also, of course, the long words and my parading of ignorance.

Who put the Happy in Saint David's Day Eh? All I did was post a pic of a forum member, his boat, an engine and my folding bike. And it descends into a welshcake fight! :lol::wub::lol:

300px-Closeup_of_Welsh_cakes%2C_February_2009.jpg

• Greenie 1

Who put the Happy in Saint David's Day Eh? All I did was post a pic of a forum member, his boat, an engine and my folding bike. And it descends into a welshcake fight! :lol::wub::lol:

300px-Closeup_of_Welsh_cakes%2C_February_2009.jpg

I'd rather eat them! (which I shall be later)

Dydd gwyl Dewi Sant hapus!

That's it, gee everyone up and then go hide under the table. Kev

May I just remind you that you have been a forum member for only three days, and the degree of over-familiarity with which you have addressed several long-standing forum members is most unbecoming. Please be more courteous.

May I just remind you that you have been a forum member for only three days, and the degree of over-familiarity with which you have addressed several long-standing forum members is most unbecoming. Please be more courteous.

So because i'm a new member, do i have to earn special points before i talk to members who have been around longer ? Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds ?

I thought i was just joining in with the jovial attitude that the forum beholds.

Please do not place yourself on a pedestal on the forum, when to others, you may be far from that.