Cycling with Lights

Featured Posts

Specifically - 'please bear in mind that sometimes cars are the slowest form of transport and there's someone on your left that will be held up if you insist on hugging the curb'. 'Now, don't be a spoil sport and leave a little space.......thanks awfully'.

Having had a cyclist fall off his bike in front of me - the road was clear, nothing ran out in front of him, it just looked as if an invisible hand had swiped his wheels out from under him - I always give bikes as much space as I can

Just peeked at the Highway COde and it is a little ambiguous. Cyclists must comply with the same rules as other road users, but they do allow passing on the left if the queue of traffic on your right is moving slower than you are. IMHO its poorly written and needs to be specific

Same applies to motorcycles.

By keeping your bike in a very high gear will cause you to push very hard on the pedals to keep it going especially uphill causing you to adopt a sort of straining struggling and lurching broaching motion, like a boat in a stormy beam sea, which will make you far more conspicious to motorists. I recommend a big chainwheel and tiny fixed 14 tooth rear wheel chain sprocket to accomplish this safety recommendation. Look how the professional racing cyclists at Velodrome tracks wobble and lurch at the start of a race. Gears are for weeds and wimps. And if your fully illuminated at night with lights dotted about all over you you will resemble the Blackpool illuminations peddling along as viewed from a rocking and lurching Tramcar.

Edited by bizzard

Oh come on guys why is it whenever something about cyclists comes up someone chimes in with "they jump red lights" - get over it as they are the ones that will get hurt not you. However, I doubt if the "lycra louts" (again was amusing several years ago) actually do get hurt, they generally know exactly what they are doing and by getting ahead of the traffic it actually makes it safer for them. I am not condoning anyone who breaks the law just trying to explain one of the main reasons behind this behaviour. As a cyclist you stop at a red light and this invariably puts you in a dangerous position as motorists come along side you and will often turn left across you or just too close because of the often narrow lanes at red lights.

Cyclists are too far out in the road - well this is often because of the state of our roads with pot holes drains etc - check it out next time you are driving and see if you think it's safe to ride that close to the curb.

Remember cyclists have as much right on the roads as anyone else and we need to share the road responsibly not keep harping on about the few who act irresponsibly. It is all our responsibility to ensure we don't injure another road user. Any road user breaking the law should be dealt with appropriately.

These same old arguments come up all the time - I share my time between here and USA and the town I live in has it's own forum and yes same entrenched views and vitriol is poured out endlessly. What is it that motorists find so awful about a person wearing lycra? Have you actually been injured by a lycra lout? Has your journey been held up for longer than say a tractor in the country side, a bus stopping etc?

It's about normal driving conditions.

Wow, get a load of this complete numpty: http://www.courtnewsuk.co.uk/?news_id=30514

"A High Court judge accused of racing through a red light at more than double the speed limit has told magistrates they should drop the charge against him.

Kuldip Singh QC is said to have sped through the central London junction at 64mph in his 3.2 litre C-Class Mercedes-Benz - a full 1.4 seconds after the lights changed."

cntd

Reading this I got to the second line and was going hell for leather on his bike, then you added the bit about the Merc. :cheers:

Oh come on guys why is it whenever something about cyclists comes up someone chimes in with "they jump red lights" - get over it as they are the ones that will get hurt not you. However, I doubt if the "lycra louts" (again was amusing several years ago) actually do get hurt, they generally know exactly what they are doing and by getting ahead of the traffic it actually makes it safer for them. I am not condoning anyone who breaks the law just trying to explain one of the main reasons behind this behaviour. As a cyclist you stop at a red light and this invariably puts you in a dangerous position as motorists come along side you and will often turn left across you or just too close because of the often narrow lanes at red lights.

Cyclists are too far out in the road - well this is often because of the state of our roads with pot holes drains etc - check it out next time you are driving and see if you think it's safe to ride that close to the curb.

Remember cyclists have as much right on the roads as anyone else and we need to share the road responsibly not keep harping on about the few who act irresponsibly. It is all our responsibility to ensure we don't injure another road user. Any road user breaking the law should be dealt with appropriately.

These same old arguments come up all the time - I share my time between here and USA and the town I live in has it's own forum and yes same entrenched views and vitriol is poured out endlessly. What is it that motorists find so awful about a person wearing lycra? Have you actually been injured by a lycra lout? Has your journey been held up for longer than say a tractor in the country side, a bus stopping etc?

It's about normal driving conditions.

I will call a cyclist a lycra lout when he fulfils the criteria, not as a generic term of abuse.

If a cyclist breaks the law and hits my car he is liable to scratch it and blood stains can be a bugger to remove from bumpers etc, other than that I have no problem if you wish to kill yourself.

I do have a gripe that if you hit me, the first thing the police will do is breathalyse ME, even if you are obviously drunk. I never drink and drive but any motorist failing the test in those circumstances is immediately the villain.

I could answer you point for point but as you obviously ARE an apologist for cyclists breaking the law I won't bother.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I think cyclists wearing sparkly Lizard style Lycra racing suits, funny streamlined crash helmets and wraparound Blue-chrome sun glasses look really weird like accentric prehistoric insects peddling about which could seriously scare small children and give them nightmares. :closedeyes:

• Greenie 1

Oh come on guys why is it whenever something about cyclists comes up someone chimes in with "they jump red lights" - get over it as they are the ones that will get hurt not you.

I'm afraid the flaw in that argument is that if you seriously injure or kill a cyclist who has jumped a red light some people will live with that for the rest of their life and may not find it sufficient just to brush it off with 'well it was all their fault'. Killing somebody even accidentally when it is not your fault is a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

Plus regardless of who gets hurt the most or not a 15 stone cyclist will do significant damage to a car even when they come off worse injury wise, and who will pay for that?

Having had a cyclist fall off his bike in front of me - the road was clear, nothing ran out in front of him, it just looked as if an invisible hand had swiped his wheels out from under him - I always give bikes as much space as I can

Riding very late at night (am) is the best time. When even the taxis have more or less done. You can pick the best line and not worry about potholes and badly fitting grates, or worry wether a parked car contains someone about to open a door in your face.

I think my road sense is fairly good, I'm also a driver. I don't want to mix it with cars and just try to be sensible. Not quite as vulnerable as pedestrians, but still pretty exposed.

No 2 son is cycling around New Zealand at the moment, and finds even less consideration by motorists than here. After being cut up by a truck then a car (and reporting the latter to the police), he found this sign in a ditch, and says it makes a big difference in the leeway he is given:

ptXGhBp.jpg

• Greenie 1

For riding bikes at night, having lights is a must, but for me why o why can't the bloody council just switch the road lights back on. Where I live the amount of roads now where the council have switched of the road lights In a bizarre attempt to try and save the planet is just ridiculous. It really is like going back to the war era. While other country's in the world enjoy life with electric light good old blighty has taken it upon itself to save the planet single handed. And for me who is a HGV breakdown mechanic trying to fix a truck in the dead of the night in pitch black while one of those street lamps is right next to me and not turned on is beyond belief. But will any thing change proberley not.

Darren

I am sure I can remember reading in "The Eagle" that by the year 2000, atomic power stations will be providing free electricity for us all . . .

As for cycle lighting, it is strictly regulated in the UK but most of the bicycle lights that I found on sale at a well known chain store failed to comply with the regs - and were probably illegal to use on UK roads. I guess they were manufactured abroad and represented a huge profit for those involved - just like selling horse-meat masquerading as beef, they don't really care for the customers - all that really matters is the money . . .

For riding bikes at night, having lights is a must, but for me why o why can't the bloody council just switch the road lights back on. Where I live the amount of roads now where the council have switched of the road lights In a bizarre attempt to try and save the planet is just ridiculous. It really is like going back to the war era. While other country's in the world enjoy life with electric light good old blighty has taken it upon itself to save the planet single handed. And for me who is a HGV breakdown mechanic trying to fix a truck in the dead of the night in pitch black while one of those street lamps is right next to me and not turned on is beyond belief. But will any thing change proberley not.

Darren

I don't think saving the planet entered their heads. The money saved by turning off street lamps is more likely to be set aside even bigger banquets, feasts, blow outs and knees ups. :mellow:

As for cycle lighting, it is strictly regulated in the UK but most of the bicycle lights that I found on sale at a well known chain store failed to comply with the regs - and were probably illegal to use on UK roads. I guess they were manufactured abroad and represented a huge profit for those involved - just like selling horse-meat masquerading as beef, they don't really care for the customers - all that really matters is the money . . .

I think this refers to the flashing red leds which strictly speaking are illegal in the UK to use on their own. They are that much more effective than a dim red light which is legal that a UK judge said he would personally pay any fine he was forced to impose if anyone was taken to court as the flashing light was clearly more visible.

Interestingly, I have found when cycling in France that drivers there are much more accommodating to cyclists, giving them plenty of room and moving out of their way when appropriate. They are also much more aware of motorcyclists.

I don't think saving the planet entered their heads. The money saved by turning off street lamps is more likely to be set aside even bigger banquets, feasts, blow outs and knees ups. :mellow:

Yes but that's the twaddle they keep telling us and we all seem to go along with it, when in reality we all know its about saving our hard earned cash for there own pension pot!!!!

Darren

I will call a cyclist a lycra lout when he fulfils the criteria, not as a generic term of abuse.

If a cyclist breaks the law and hits my car he is liable to scratch it and blood stains can be a bugger to remove from bumpers etc, other than that I have no problem if you wish to kill yourself.

I do have a gripe that if you hit me, the first thing the police will do is breathalyse ME, even if you are obviously drunk. I never drink and drive but any motorist failing the test in those circumstances is immediately the villain.

I could answer you point for point but as you obviously ARE an apologist for cyclists breaking the law I won't bother.

George ex nb Alton retired

Hi George - read my post again I said I was explaining why cyclists jump red lights etc not condoning it. I will never agree to anyone who breaks the law and yes I am an avid cyclist and have never jumped the lights etc etc. In fact at 65 I haven't ever had a motoring offence - not even for parking. Instead of just churning out the same bias stuff - typical Daily Mail nonsense - think about why people do certain things or are forced to do certain things. Cyclists have to protect themselves and ride defensively, they certainly don't want to come into contact with any hard object.

I'm not sure but I think that as a motorised we get breathalysed whenever there is an accident, I certainly was after a pedestrian ran out in front of me. I think that is the correct thing to happen.

Having cycled all over the world - checkout my website below - I try not to hold up the traffic but sometimes to stay safe you have to and I always thank whoever I've held up.

I am sure I can remember reading in "The Eagle" that by the year 2000, atomic power stations will be providing free electricity for us all . . .

Blow the Eagle - it was the government line at the time! Electricity so cheap that they wouldn't be able to justify the cost of metering it :unsure:

Darren

I wish the council would switch off the bleedy street lights in our street! It's like trying to sleep in broad daylight unless you have really heavy curtains!

Bring back the days when every street light in the country was off by midnight I say.

I too am a cyclist, motorbikerist, boater, car driver and van driver.

I dont really cycle in traffic all that often, however do not apply the same respect to road rules on a bicycle that I do when using a motorised vehicle. IE I will jump a red light if it feels safe to do, something I would never, ever consider doing in a car or motorbike.

I tend to disregard speed limits on a motorbike. Not the 30's and 40s though, these are adhered to religiously.

Car is driven in a less agressive manner, however I find it more difficult to keep the speedo from straying past the limit, modern cars are so well insulated, disconnected from the road that you often find the whole traffic flow to be faster than the posed limit.

I take calculated risks and accept them fully. As do most people presumably.

I find its only when we dont agree with other people's risks that we become vocal about it.The reality of it is only a small percentage of the population never breaks the rules, speeding being the most common infraction.

For me the important thing is to be in control of my vehicle, aware of whats around me and paying attention to the situations develloping around me on the road.

For me the important thing is to be in control of my vehicle, aware of whats around me and paying attention to the situations develloping around me on the road.

Very true. Stretch of dual carriageway on the A4540 in Birmingham, utterly devoid of pedestrian traffic on anything other than a match day, posted limit 30mph and two speed cameras to enforce it. Beyond the roundabout, exactly same road layout, posted limit 40mph. Road outside the mate's house, residential, cars parked both sides, children often in road playing ball games/skateboarding, posted limit 30mph. Sometimes adhering to speed limits is, to my mind, driving without due care and attention.

On topic, this morning on way to work, halted at T junction to said A4540 in darkness, I waited on the approach of a vehicle to my right. While stopped, a cyclist passed in front of me, and I thought, "good job that car was coming, I didn't see the cyclist at all and could have pulled out". It demonstrated to me just show how easy cyclist are to miss (or hit). However, on second glance, I realised this cyclist was displaying no lights, front or back, was wearing dark clothing and on a black (or dark) framed bike. :wacko:

I used to do a lot of long distance cycling, the longest being London Edinburgh London in 5 days/4 nights, stopping to sleep for a max of 3 hours. I still have the front lights, 2 high power rechargeable s that make cars slow down on country lanes as they think its another vehicle approaching. Shortly before this ride I was knocked off in a hit and run from behind. It was a September morning on a wide road. I was found unconscious in a ditch and taken to hospital. Nobody was ever found. This was despite flashing and non flashing rear lights, reflectors, and a reflective jacket. No amount of lights is too much. I rarely cycle now, I've lost confidence. I did the ride for charity but it was afterwards that I totally lost my nerve!