Cycling with Lights

Featured Posts

I used to do a lot of long distance cycling, the longest being London Edinburgh London in 5 days/4 nights, stopping to sleep for a max of 3 hours. I still have the front lights, 2 high power rechargeable s that make cars slow down on country lanes as they think its another vehicle approaching. Shortly before this ride I was knocked off in a hit and run from behind. It was a September morning on a wide road. I was found unconscious in a ditch and taken to hospital. Nobody was ever found. This was despite flashing and non flashing rear lights, reflectors, and a reflective jacket. No amount of lights is too much. I rarely cycle now, I've lost confidence. I did the ride for charity but it was afterwards that I totally lost my nerve!

Hi Homer, understandable not to want to ride again and really sorry that happened. In fact cycling in this country is not my favourite place. Nowadays I prefer the continent where people are more tuned into the needs of cyclists and respect the fact that bicycles are a vehicle with every right to be on the road and obey traffic laws. And their masculinity isn't threatened by riders wearing Lycra.

My main cycling is done over in USA as they have masses of old rail tracks tarmacked over so you can do long distances traffic free. Not long back crossed Australia, link below, and found many of the drivers would slow down to check I was OK with enough water/food etc. So refreshing to be seen as a fellow human rather than someone to abuse for what reason I will never understand.

If you want to get back on your bike try joining Veteran Cycling Club http://www.v-cc.org.uk/(old bikes not old people) many easy rides in safe places you just need a bike not particularly old. But beware this is what I did and somehow I've ended up with about 20 vintage bikes going back to 1896 - great fun to ride and tinker with.

Hi Homer, understandable not to want to ride again and really sorry that happened. In fact cycling in this country is not my favourite place. Nowadays I prefer the continent where people are more tuned into the needs of cyclists and respect the fact that bicycles are a vehicle with every right to be on the road and obey traffic laws. And their masculinity isn't threatened by riders wearing Lycra.

My main cycling is done over in USA as they have masses of old rail tracks tarmacked over so you can do long distances traffic free. Not long back crossed Australia, link below, and found many of the drivers would slow down to check I was OK with enough water/food etc. So refreshing to be seen as a fellow human rather than someone to abuse for what reason I will never understand.

If you want to get back on your bike try joining Veteran Cycling Club http://www.v-cc.org.uk/(old bikes not old people) many easy rides in safe places you just need a bike not particularly old. But beware this is what I did and somehow I've ended up with about 20 vintage bikes going back to 1896 - great fun to ride and tinker with.

Thanks for that, I'll check it out and look at your link. I used to love going out, especially in the spring and summer. I'm moving onto a boat and continuously cruising to start with so will be forced back on it shortly, if only to get my van when I move the boat! I'm still a member of CTC so will have to see about going for some short rides and maybe building up to reasonable distances again.

I too am a cyclist, motorbikerist, boater, car driver and van driver.

I dont really cycle in traffic all that often, however do not apply the same respect to road rules on a bicycle that I do when using a motorised vehicle. IE I will jump a red light if it feels safe to do, something I would never, ever consider doing in a car or motorbike.

and that says it all

• Greenie 1

Nowadays I prefer the continent where people are more tuned into the needs of cyclists and respect the fact that bicycles are a vehicle with every right to be on the road and obey traffic laws.

You certainly have a right to be on the roads and I trust you are duly grateful to the motorists who pay for them.

As to the traffic laws I thought it was a DUTY to obey them but then again I am only a casual cyclist not a hardened fanatic.

George ex nb Alton retired

You certainly have a right to be on the roads and I trust you are duly grateful to the motorists who pay for them.

As to the traffic laws I thought it was a DUTY to obey them but then again I am only a casual cyclist not a hardened fanatic.

Actually most cyclists also own cars thereby paying road tax but the cost of maintaining the roads comes from council tax, not road fund duty. Also horses and cycles were here first so they actually have more rights to the road than motor vehicles. This info came from a solicitor dealing with me RTA :-)

just typical of Hampshire wasting time on pointless schemes whilst they do jack all about real issues like vehicle break ins and anti social behaviour in the early hours of the morning! despite being told when it is most likely to happen!! shame they don't put the same effort into stopping the tosspots who drive round with fog lights blazing!!

Myth, major roads are paid for out of general taxation. Local roads out of your council tax, which everybody pays - motorist or not.

Duty from vehicles would pay to build a couple of miles of motorway and that's about all!

Myth, major roads are paid for out of general taxation. Local roads out of your council tax, which everybody pays - motorist or not.

Duty from vehicles would pay to build a couple of miles of motorway and that's about all!

I am no lover of the motor car and I do support the current taxation levels.

VED and fuel duty currently bring in £32 billions pa. I had not realised motorways cost £16 billions per mile.

VED alone is more than £4 billions so again far more than 2 miles of motorway.

Let us put it another way. Motorists pay a damned site more than cyclists.

Funny thing is, it normally doesn't bother me until I come across double breasted lycra louts hogging the centre of the road deliberately stopping reasonable overtaking chances. Then I tend to ask myself just how much cyclists contribute.

Please don't tell me cyclists pay council tax etc. They pay as ratepayers, not as cyclists just as I pay as a ratepayer. The difference is I also pay separately as a motorist.

• Greenie 1

Nowadays I prefer the continent where people are more tuned into the needs of cyclists and respect the fact that bicycles are a vehicle with every right to be on the road and obey traffic laws.

I dont know which bit of europe you are referring to but I have cycled in france and holland and I cant say the cyclists over there seemed particularly bothered about obeying traffic laws?

Then I tend to ask myself just how much cyclists contribute.

Please don't tell me cyclists pay council tax etc. They pay as ratepayers, not as cyclists just as I pay as a ratepayer. The difference is I also pay separately as a motorist.

I think someone has already mentioned, cyclists can also be motorists and pay the usual duties. Owning a bicycle is not a crime.

I dont know which bit of europe you are referring to but I have cycled in france and holland and I cant say the cyclists over there seemed particularly bothered about obeying traffic laws?

I don't think that is a defence, it's an excuse to justify unpredictable behaviour. This is the trouble with the EU, one gets confused about logic. Maybe all of the cyclist who run through red lights are either French or Dutch.

I am only refusing the original argument that cyclists jumping red lights is a british phenomenon. Its untrue. I have lived in Amsterdam, and I am a Frenchman. The general principle of riding in french cities is pretty loose at best, and the idea that cars give you space etc will not work in Paris.

British cyclists, or should that be cyclists in Britain, are on the whole very well behaved when compared with the european standards.

I am only refusing the original argument that cyclists jumping red lights is a british phenomenon. Its untrue. I have lived in Amsterdam, and I am a Frenchman. The general principle of riding in french cities is pretty loose at best, and the idea that cars give you space etc will not work in Paris.

British cyclists, or should that be cyclists in Britain, are on the whole very well behaved when compared with the european standards.

Well all I can say is, those cyclists stupidly waiting at the traffic lights, in France, are British.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

to avoid getting trapped into an argument about differing perception of our gallic neighbours.

The point I was originally making is its iften safer for cycists to jump the lights. Mostly in cities.

A lot of factors come into it, mostly the fact that you are better getting ahead of the traffic as you are slower getting to speed when the lights go green and become more visible to drivers when you do that.

being on a bike, you are out in the open and looking above car roofs, in a better position to hear cars and also more exposed, all of which combine to give you a better judgement than a car driver sat in his box, windows shut with music blaring, possibly passengers talking etc.

You dont need a driving license to ride a bike, so you dont tend to worry about possible points etc, just do what feels safest and most efficient, because you are also producing the power thats moving you!

I honestly struggle to see what problems car drivers have with this concept. Well I think people are only upset because they cant do it, like drivers who try to prevent motorbikes from filtering through stationnary traffic.

I honestly struggle to see what problems car drivers have with this concept. Well I think people are only upset because they cant do it, like drivers who try to prevent motorbikes from filtering through stationnary traffic.

As a motorist and cyclist here, I've had a chance to observe both sides here. We are known to have the quaint habit of waiting in queues for a turn and it has something to do with that. Using the road also means, I think, it has rules to follow - that way everyone knows where they stand, so to speak. Being predictable is important, in this environment.

• Greenie 2

Exactly. The point I made earlier. If people are too impatient to wait a couple of minutes to pass cyclists safely they should either leave earlier or give up driving. The same kind of impatience shown towards horses could cause a major accident.

I am no lover of the motor car and I do support the current taxation levels.

VED and fuel duty currently bring in £32 billions pa. I had not realised motorways cost £16 billions per mile.

VED alone is more than £4 billions so again far more than 2 miles of motorway.

Let us put it another way. Motorists pay a damned site more than cyclists.

Funny thing is, it normally doesn't bother me until I come across double breasted lycra louts hogging the centre of the road deliberately stopping reasonable overtaking chances. Then I tend to ask myself just how much cyclists contribute.

The resentment in your posts is just what a cyclist needs to help them feel safe. If you resent sitting behind an assertive cyclist and I don't wear lycra, then that behaviour is considered necessary because of resentful motorists who think nothing of taking liberties with our safety.

We are known to have the quaint habit of waiting in queues for a turn and it has something to do with that. Using the road also means, I think, it has rules to follow - that way everyone knows where they stand, so to speak. Being predictable is important, in this environment.

Nonsense, its perfectly legal to filter through stationnary or slow moving traffic. If you were to travel through busy capital cities, you would realise this quite quickly.

Edited by Djuwenda

Nonsense, its perfectly legal to filter through stationnary or slow moving traffic. If you were to travel through busy capital cities, you would realise this quite quickly.

You can make headway in the safest possible way. You can make that judgement. Going through red lights and generally making it hard for other road users to determine which particular rules you are following is not helpful. At pedestrian crossings, if there's a bike around and close to and approaching the crossing, pedestrians don't take it for granted that a bike won't whizz by or try and weave through, even when the lights are against the cyclist.

Cyclists that do not appreciate that others need to know what they are doing/going to do, just make other road users nervous.

Drivers are becoming accustomed to erratic behaviour by some cyclists. The odd erratic cyclist is a problem, but to find it common behaviour is likely to set a negative opinion of cyclists in the drivers mind.

Edited by Higgs